Why I won't buy Street Fighter V

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by 3rdStrike_Ebi, Feb 18, 2016.

1. 3rdStrike_Ebi

3rdStrike_Ebi Senior Member

I know a lot of people are furious about the game being busted as fuck, but I made this before that stuff started becoming a big deal. Feel free to watch it if you're interested.

2. thelastgogeta

thelastgogeta Well-Known Member

I think this is the first video of yours I've heard. Not a bad ramble.

Unfortunately, "SJW" is a broad label which only some we may consider that identify with and a lot of publishers and localisations are putting us in the positions where we only appear to be defending T&A.

I think it is too easy to defend ourselves by listing our game library which isn't anything like Senran Kagura, so I think it is better to name other media which pissed you off by having cuts, or games which have male characters showing skin.

My non-game pick is Code Geass in the UK. It had literally one second of animation cut in the entire run and since the BBFC (British Board of Film Classification) make it clear that is the case before it released, I could make an exception to support it but it is instead a great place to list media with much more extreme content which was uncut for me to pick up or watch.

My game pick is Azure Striker Gunvolt. The localisation has a lot more problems than cloaking the midriff of Gunvolt (male protagonist) like removing all of the voice work and subtitles during the maps and removing lots of additional dialogue in general. It sticks out that they considered a focus group of 10-14 year olds (IIRC) as a sign to remove the midriff and hair (returned prior to release).

Why Inti Creates Changed Gunvolt’s Design For The West - Siliconera

Gunvolt Gets His Braid Back In The U.S. Version Of Azure Striker Gunvolt

3. Largo

Largo Senior Member

Just one second? What was it the BBFC objected to?

4. Dendro Batidae

Dendro Batidae Quite the Cynic

My problem with Street Fighter is not just the censor but the game is clearly rushed. They probably did it so the game would be released in time for EVO, but holy shit, even in the state it is now, it's just unforgivable.

Street Fighter V will only be worth it's full price around 2 years from now.

5. thelastgogeta

This "shot likely to encourage an interest in underage sexual activity (in this case a young girl in the background of a shot suggesting sexual activity)" in their words.

[​IMG]
    The episode had a 15 rating when cut, but they are inferring that an uncut one wouldn't pass for 18. I'd hope that Manga would accept a higher rating if it permitted no cuts, especially since they made their money on higher ratings at one point.

6. Largo

Largo Senior Member

"encourage an interest in underage sexual activity"

That's their excuse? I don't see how someone watching an animated show would be "encouraged" to suddenly engage in underage sexual activity.

7. Lex

Lex Senior Member

The BBFC were
    secretly hoping the change wouldn't happen so they could save people from a terrible show.

I'm sort of curious how things are going to pan out in the long run - will the rightward swing happen in time enough for the updated Super Street Fighter V (which is, of course, inevitable) to go back to the original content, or are we half a decade or more away?

8. thelastgogeta

Yep. I haven't looked into the guidelines, to be clear, "underage" would be below 16 here. They must have cut it on the assumption that a fictional character who is underage being in the background or aware of activity which can be mostly generously put as fondling (not that I've seen the show to have more context) being too much.

We also had some Ikki Tousen cuts by the BBFC, but all of Speed Grapher is an uncensored 15 for some reason... >_> One day, I'll pick on all of their dumb stuff but I'll leave it with the fact we had to wait decades (2000s!) till we could see Bruce Lee wielding nunchuks in a movie.

It would have only been one episode of R2 (the second season right?) banned. I'm sure if Manga were stringent we wouldn't get episodes set after that, but we'll still get to see a good amount. >_>

I honestly don't expect Capcom to make a step back to the original content, though they will definitely contradict their goal of being family friendly with more content which is comparable to the R. Mika and Cammy stuff. A Super version? I was hoping that they would live up to a promise not to do it, but if grinding ends up being unenjoyable to buy content, sure. In the next 3 years or less.

9. TiamatNM

TiamatNM Senior Member

Agree about Azure Striker Gunvolt. I was excited for it but they managed to completely crush my enthusiasm. Made a twitter so I could tell them not to change his hairstyle. Then they kept pulling more crap. Wish they had sold zero copies. Screw them.

10. 3rdStrike_Ebi

Thanks. :)

Only because a lot of the people who use the term weren't actually one themselves. I was.

As for discussing cuts to other media, sure, I did this for Yu-Gi-Oh! in one of my previous videos about Fire Emblem:

I also don't own Senran Kagura yet. But I'll keep your advice in mind.

That's fucked up. See, even in Australia, that was never cut out, and the series is rated M for us.

I do recall learning that a Final Fantasy mobile game has censored male outfits. Of course, that'll mean I have to drudge through the shit that is The Know to find it...

11. Nagato

Nagato Member

Looks like the world agrees, as the game is only selling roughly a quarter of what SFIV was selling physically.

Hope that Early Access style release was worth it, Capcom. Now SFV's reputation will be tainted for all future versions as well.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  12. thelastgogeta

The sequel was confirmed at MagFest recently with an English localisation (text), a new song, Gunvolt design and trailer:

Source: Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 Revealed, Gets Its First Gameplay Trailer - Siliconera

Will they actually make this feature complete? Who knows, but we can see English dialogue and a design which largely resembles the Japanese original design. So it may be an improvement for foreign 3DS players at least. I just downloaded Gunvolt (Japanese of course) again for the 3DS and will have a good time with it. Same goes for Gunvolt 2 probably.

They are making it very hard to get hyped for localised releases or even recommend them.

Source for those numbers? SFV is a dual platform release much like SFIV on launch, but I think the PC's active fighting game scene and the PS4 having a strong life ahead of it means it should have done better. SFV can still recover if Capcom are smart, but we'll see.

Still want to know where the numbers are from.

You mean you were an "SJW"? I don't follow. Thanks for the other video though, I'll keep an eye out for more.

I guess the UK can be worse than Australia at times... I wouldn't take your video games, but I'll look into your anime releases since the UK depends on you guys like a lifeline (literally!).

This is the Final Fantasy Mobile game you remember: Mobius Final Fantasy's Hero Was "Too Sexy" Before, Now He's Better

I don't care about the game and never played a FF, but definitely not a fan of changes when a costume option would be an easy solution.

13. 3rdStrike_Ebi

Basically, I was a third-wave feminist and held left-wing authoritarian views on my hobbies. I consider that to be an SJW, even if I wasn't as extreme as a lot of them.

Glad to help, even though I'm personally not responsible. :p

14. TiamatNM

TiamatNM Senior Member

Didn't know they announced a sequel (though I was actually at MAGFest on Saturday). Not interested though, I'm completely turned off to Inticreates and Comcept after the ridiculous way they treated the Gunvolt localization. They said they just wanted to get the game out as soon as possible. Sadly they knew most people would buy it anyway even if they did a half assed job and left out content.

15. thelastgogeta

Glad we can have a warm discussion now with any accusations then. I assume you can make the call about your past behaviour.

I think I talked to someone in person who had a similar transition who is a cool dude too.

I'm honestly giving them or any other company a chance assuming they improve or that I never get a localisation on launch without verification about cuts or adjustments. (Basically Japanese copies all the way)

Worst thing about Gunvolt was the abandoned dub plans and how they tried to push the subtitles and voices being removed as a bonus feature.

16. 3rdStrike_Ebi

I'm a bit confused with the wording here.

17. thelastgogeta

I don't like using labels, "SJW" or otherwise. Surely, the best judge of whether you were one is yourself.

In less words, I'll take your word that you were one.

Maybe I should have led the response with that.

18. 3rdStrike_Ebi

Ah, that makes more sense. I use the label not only because it described me when I was a tad younger, but it also describes people who were similar or worse. 'Sides, quite a few SJWs own the label and identify with it, so that makes the usage more legitimate.

If you ever wanted evidence, my DeviantArt account was littered with that shit for a while. I barely use it these days since it takes up a large amount of my time, but that stuff's still there.

19. Largo

Largo Senior Member

Would it not be a better idea just to wait 2-3 years an get the Ultra/Ultimate version with all DLC included?

20. Seboist

Seboist Well-Known Member

Thank Jubileus for the Mika censorship scandal, as that prevented me from getting this early release turkey.