What are you playing right now?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by SevenforfiveSarge, Nov 1, 2015.

1. TomatoDragon

TomatoDragon Established Recruit

Currently on this Muramasa Rebirth dlc campaign.
    [​IMG]

2. hina

hina Senior Member

Because the Vita version finally got fan translated.

[​IMG]

Finally I get to experience a sad mediocre story because square Enix is incapable of making good games.

3. DDD-kun

DDD-kun Senior Member

New Game+ on Escha & Logy. Feel I want to max equipment and try to Platinum the whole thing. Mostly so I can start fresh on the Arland Trilogy Plus.

4. DDD-kun

DDD-kun Senior Member

Thoughts on Escha & Logy: Translation seriously makes the item crafting process a pain in the behind. There are glaring, critical mistakes that the KT team will never fix and it's a serious weakness. Typos are riddled throughout the game (Slag extermination assignment at the halfway point becomes "slug extermination"), but the worse are the terrible mistranslations on Effects and Properties, as well as definitions on said Effects & Properties.

Covering effects first as it's the worst offender. The offense being they use the word "effect" for everything, even when they absolutely shouldn't. There's a rainbow-colored bar labeled "effect"—any other Atelier game, that would be called "Quality". It's a gauge that is just that, affects the quality of the item you're synthesizing. Weapons/Armor/kinetic items like bombs produce better numbers the higher the quality. But anyone walking into this game fresh won't know that and will get lost & confused fast since the proper term isn't being used.

And then "effect" is abused in a lot of Property and Effect definitions on the Item Info section of every card. Property examples:

Reliable Effect - Reduces number variation, making it easier to produce larger numbers
    Okay, but what "effect", here? Attack effect? Healing effect? "Quality" effect?

Effect Up - Increases effect power of the synthesized item by 10%
    This is a straight-up bad translation. It means to say "Increases QUALITY of the synthesized item by 20%". Which actually makes this an almost completely useless Property, since the alchemy system offers other, swifter ways to max out an item's Quality gauge without wasting a Properties slot.

Destruction Up - Increases effect of Attack Items by 10%
    Again, effect's a bad word here. SHOULD BE: "Increases Attack Item power by 20%. Confusing.

Healing Up - Increases effect of healing items by 10%
    Same thing as Destruction Up.

Those are just some basics—this goes on. So many Properties are either named "Effect", or they're using "effect" in their definitions when they outright shouldn't. I've acquired two high-level Properties, Blessed Effect and Godlike Killer, and I have to experiment with them because neither trait is actually clearly defined in what it does other than "it EFFECTs something".

Which is bad issue number two: typos or outright wrong definitions. Por Ejemplo:

Frame Compress - Cost to equip Search Equipment is reduced by 1. (It cannot go below 1.)
    So far so good. This is correct.

Frame Expand - Cost to equip Search Equipment is reduced by 1. (It cannot go below 1.)
    wtf. You mean cost to Search Equips are increased by 1, don't you? (Hint: this grammar error pattern continues to Frame Expand+ and Max Expand.)

Frame Reinforce - Increases item's effect by (equipment cost squared x 3%)
    Actually correct but there's that "effect" again, throwing confusion in. What is SHOULD say: Item results increased by (Equip Frame Cost Squared times 3, or EFC^2 x 3). Oh, and almost anything that's marked as "percent" is wrong. It calculates whole numbers, not percentage of any base stats.

And then there are the incorrect/inconsistent naming schemes. You could run into a property called Spirit Attack, which is pretty high-powered, and wonder how to create it. The subtext says it's a fusion of Spirit Power and Spirit Attack. Except that's wrong. What you need is Spirit Blessing + Spirit Slayer. Spirit Power doesn't actually exists. An even higher form of this is named Time Spirit, which fuses Confer Slow and Spirit Hit. Again, neither property exists. What they meant to put was Slow + Spirit Attack. Several other properties suffer the same fate.

Oh, right. Forgot about the actual OTHER effects issue. If you see letters like L, M, and S after certain innate item effects (Like Phy Damage L, Phy Damage M, Phy Damage S), then reverse the order. They don't stand what you think they stand for. Large, Medium, and Small don't apply at all. It's "Low", "Moderate", and "Strong".

And I wouldn't know most of theses were it not for a fuckton of trial & error. The typos and misprints seriously bring down the system of an excellent game. KT's western branch will never fix this and that infuriates me.

... I don't suppose Shallie or Sophie got better treatment? I'm sincerely hoping so. This level of botchery wasn't present in Ayesha. I know for a fact these typos exist in the Plus version of Escha & Logy, having directly asked the KT Twitter PR myself.

5. TiamatNM

TiamatNM Senior Member

@DDD-kun that sounds awful. I don't have a lot of KT games

6. DDD-kun

DDD-kun Senior Member

It's awful. And that's sad, because E&L is an absolutely GREAT game. Seriously, it's friggin wonderful if you're a type to get deep with a crafting system plus monster hunting on time management. You can also get absorbed in the character interactions and their individual stories—it's an excellent followup to Atelier Ayesha, which in itself was a stupendous game.

It's my love of the franchise and the potential IN the game that had me struggle to overcome and comprehend all the various errors (and apparently a voice error on a DLC character's Final Attack Special that doesn't voice any of her comments in English - Katla). Such a good game deserved a much better localization than its gotten. I'm actually scared to start Shallie, now.

7. TiamatNM

TiamatNM Senior Member

I don't understand why it's so hard to just do a good job. Hire someone who knows japanese and english very well. Get an editor to proofread it. Yet for some publishers this is clearly just way too hard. -_-

8. DDD-kun

DDD-kun Senior Member

It baffles me as well. Most of the mistakes could be fixed with time to proof. Hell, it's the digital age, so most copies of the game should be able to patch over the PSNetwork, Plus versions included. KT just doesn't want to spend the extra money. It's infuriating.

9. Lex

Lex Senior Member

Nights of Azure had some problems with items descriptions and such as well. I think their localisation team's inexperienced in dealing with text-heavy games (and not really improving!) or comprised of interns.

10. Jigsy

Jigsy Established Recruit

Flying Bunny.

This game is fucking brutal.

11. DDD-kun

DDD-kun Senior Member

it's also too expensive and not on a handheld where it belongs.

That is not actually good to hear. I'm thinking I'll be seriously re-assessing purchases on KT in the future.

12. Jigsy

Jigsy Established Recruit

I wouldn't say $8 is expensive.

13. DDD-kun

DDD-kun Senior Member

Normally I wouldn't, either. However I was curious and did a look up and it's a never-ending runner game, like you'd find on the apple store. That immediately makes me hesitate. Now, if you're saying gameplay is somehow brutal despite the template, I might actually give it another look.

14. Ophelmark

Ophelmark Established Recruit

God Eater:Resurrection.Nice game so far but holy shit i feel useless and i barely understand the ''mechanics''.The best tactic i have found is basically make a team of snipers or long range members and play like a tank.If i try something else i end up eating up heal items like candy.The enemies are super hard to hit.Specially that scorpion shithead.

Senran Kagura:Bon Appetit or whatever is it's fucking name.I knew i would suck ass at this game.So i was just shooting for one...a...what it's called...hmmm...well it's when you get a full heart and get the chick that is your opponent....Desert.That is the one.But i gave up after the second opponent.I already broke one gamepad trying to clear that fucking running puzzle in Castlevania:Lords Of Shadow.Not going to do it again.

Last Remnant.I have been playing this game off and on without paying attention.So i fucked up and my BR is way too high.I could barely pass the main missions.So now i'm trying to grind skills on the wish whatever the fuck is called mission and it's incredibly boring.

15. ArsCortica

ArsCortica Established Recruit

Ys Origin. Finished the regular mode with all characters, now going through arena mode to unlock Adol et. al.

Perhaps I'm just bad, but Yunica is a pain in the ass to play on the Demonic Core stage, while Hugo and his dear older brother are decent but still can be rather annoying with all the confusion/slow/poison debuffs.

16. Seboist

Seboist Well-Known Member

Currently playing Wild Guns: Reloaded on the PS4.

17. TomatoDragon

TomatoDragon Established Recruit

Just finished.
    [​IMG]

Now...back on...
    [​IMG]

18. Largo

Largo Senior Member

Still slugging through Pokemon Moon

19. Ice Apollo

Ice Apollo Anime is HARAM

Playing Titanfall 2, man I forgot how much I suĉk at online fps' but still something about giant robots keeps me coming back

20. ScarredBushido

ScarredBushido Senior Member

brought shantae. looks good.

i have not touched any of the wild arms games....is it good?