Valk Unit Zero - Time-looping Apocalypse

Discussion in 'Game Development' started by oz2mura, Jan 30, 2016.

1. oz2mura

oz2mura Recruit

Yo, I'm Oz! I'm launching a Kickstarter Campaign February 2nd, 2016. Groundhog's Day!

[​IMG]

Valk Unit Zero is a 2D Action Adventure RPG. You take on the role of a Valk Unit in a world where multiple series of events are causing the world's destruction.

You'll re-experience the game over and over, discovering how different choices lead to different results. Like turning back to the first page in a 'Choose your own Adventure' book or restarting the day like in the movie 'Groundhog's Day'. By learning more about the way the world works, and how all the events are interconnected, you'll eventually be able to find 'True End'. Events can vary from being unexpectedly hilarious to morbidly devastating. Our goal is having an absurd amount of these events in the game to truly bring the world to life.

Kickstarter Link : Valk Unit Zero

[​IMG]
    Thanks for reading! Feedback/questions are welcomed. Here's some gifs for ya.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  2. DigiGuineaPig

DigiGuineaPig Senior Member

Hi,

Sprite work changes sometimes. Are there multiple people working on the sprites? It's not bad, or anything. I think it's fun and appealing although some of them are rough around the edges! I really like the concept, though! I've always enjoyed things that have you relive the same moments but in different ways. That's one of those things that are really my jam. So I'm into it.

What engine did you use? I'd love to see some gameplay stuff, or maybe a playable demo perhaps? *wink wink*

3. oz2mura

oz2mura Recruit

@digi

Haha, yeah we have just one artist, who has pretty much done everything. In the course of working on the game, she's been improving like crazy. Like it looks nothing like it did when we first started. I'll often see her redoing the older sprites just to keep up the consistency.

We're using Godot engine. By far my favorite engine to work on. Was able to prototype everything we'd want in the entire game smoothly.

We really wanted to get a demo out there before we launched, but working on the kickstarter itself sucked our lives away. :< We hate it too, cause we just want to work on the game. We're currently polishing up our gameplay art, so I'll post as soon as they look presentable.

Thanks for the nice comments! :D We love when the core concept resonates with others.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  4. DigiGuineaPig

Ah I have not worked with the Godot engine before. However I've had others tell me about it. I know a lot of people sing it's praises, and it has this crazy obscure community behind it. Doesn't it run off python? Anyway I wish you the best on your campaign! Hopefully we can get our hands on some gameplay stuff soon, too!

5. oz2mura

oz2mura Recruit

[​IMG]
    Viral Sukebans, Junker, and and Valk Unit that's too shy to show off her walking yet.

@digi Godot is based off C++ and uses it's own language that's called GDscript that's influenced by python. It's the first open-source engine I've worked with, so it's pretty fun being able to peek and poke the hardcoded stuff.

Gonna post more screenshots as we make the game look more presentable.

6. DigiGuineaPig

Sweet I'll look forward to it! I think everyone is just waiting to see more. But I'm interested to see where this project goes. I followed you on Twitter, so I can stay in the loop with your progress. Best wishes!

7. oz2mura

oz2mura Recruit

8. DigiGuineaPig

I don't really contribute to Kickstarters usually but I might contribute to help support the project. But in the meantime I'll spread the word!

9. DuckSquared

DuckSquared Senior Member

I'm guessing it's no coincidence you launched the Kickstarter on Groundhog Day...

10. oz2mura

oz2mura Recruit

11. oz2mura

oz2mura Recruit

[​IMG]

KS is 11% funded, 9 days to go. We'll probably give a special treat to people those who backed this time, and relaunch a year from now. gg.