Undead Darlings Campaign

Discussion in 'Game Development' started by Nonscpo, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Angelus

Angelus Senior Member

I like this quite a bit though. Too many dialogue heavy games have NG+ feeling repetitive as hell, with occasional tiny bonus scenes and whatnot (not that the DanganRonpa 2 shower scene isn't 100% worth it). With Nick's habit of writing novels to answer yes or no questions though I'm worried about the game taking 1000+ hours to be a completionist.

2. Mea_K

Mea_K Senior Member

Nick did another interview here, both about Undead Darlings and his localization work. Recommended reading. He also addressed the Neptunia U line that was widely seen as a GamerGate reference that I really wanted to ask him about when we did the Q&A but then somehow forgot at the last second:

I like this answer!

3. hina

hina Senior Member

I'm happy with his answer.

4. Nonscpo

Nonscpo Member

5. NickyD

NickyD Recruit

Hey, NG folks!

Our new Kickstarter is up, so please come and pledge your undying love for these girls (and/or for Buck) if you feel so inclined!
    Undead Darlings: A Visual Novel RPG for PC and PS4

I owe it to everyone here and elsewhere for the feedback and support over the months, and I really want to see this succeed for all the people who have worked on it. They have done an amazing job, and they deserve to see this game become a reality more than I do.

Thanks again!

6. hina

hina Senior Member

Good luck with it and it's nice to see progress.

Finally we get to see how the battle would look like and it looks much better than I thought it would and the animated enemies is a nice touch since not many DRPGs do them (probably because of the limited budget), the voice cast sounds decent, I can't really tell since it's samples without much context to how it sounds all together and I don't listen to a lot of american voice acting.

Just curious if you will sell your game on GOG since I don't like Steam, particularly with their DRM policies.

7. NickyD

NickyD Recruit

Thanks so much, hina!
    As for GOG, I'm not sure we'll offer it on that platform. However, we will have a physical PC disc thanks to MangaGamer's support. I'm not sure if that'll be the answer for your DRM concerns, but it's always nice to know you can hold the game in your hands, y'know?

8. Angelus

Angelus Senior Member

Kickstarter seems to be doing well already.

No PS4 backer rewards though? :(

9. NickyD

NickyD Recruit

Thank you! It's been a really invigorating (and busy!) first day. Fingers crossed we can keep the momentum going :)

There is a way to get the PS4 digital code, it's just not as clear as I intended it to be... Essentially, folks have to pledge for the game tier of their choice, and then "manage their pledge" and increase it by $2 USD...in the post-funding survey, we'll be able to get them the PS4 version they gave this extra amount for.

It's in the FAQ section, but we had to do this because of the way Sony treats digital code creation internally. There are a lot more moving parts with them than with Steam, so there's a couple setup fees (which I can't fault them for, it's been this way for as long as I can remember), and we simply could not afford to offer both at the same price. I wish there was a better solution, but sometimes we have to do things we don't like >_< I just hope folks can understand and support that version regardless, since it's still a lower price than full MSRP.

10. Largo

Largo Senior Member

Congrats on your success.

11. Angelus

Angelus Senior Member

That sounds fair to me.

Been hearing a lot about this KS from all over. Iffy, MangaGamer, NISA... Seems like Nick made as many friends as he made enemies.

12. Battlechili

Battlechili Senior Member

I have very mixed feelings towards this game.There are signs of quality in there but its muddled down by terrible enemy designs and UI. It feels as if the game doesn't know what it wants to be. I hope I'm wrong; I want the game to succeed as I quite like dungeon crawlers. But I REALLY want to see some changes done to the UI and enemy designs.
    To be quite frank, I find it somewhat disgusting that you're even attempting to justify companies doing some form of editing or creating cut content in game titles. I understand that companies do not want to take risks, but that does not mean that such actions are forgivable or justifiable. It is wrong and abhorrent far beyond a company's capabilities, and I would much prefer to see a game not get localized at all than it get localized with content cut in the manner described. I'm quite fond of the way XSeed handles itself on the whole, and more specifically, disregarding how ages were handled, I'm quite fond of the way Senran Kagura was handled, and I would hope that in the future Japanese companies refuse to allow their games to be localized if Western companies feel they must be changed in this manner.
    I realize that you're just trying to explain the process involved that would result in these sorts of things, and even explained yourself that you're not going to make any moral judgement on whether these sorts of things are right or wrong, but your explanation still comes off as if its trying to be some sort of justification, as if you think the end justifies the means.

...Regarding every other explanation however, I appreciate your answers to all of those questions and it was very insightful on the localization process. It makes the meme usage seem somewhat proper, if imperfect.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  13. NickyD

NickyD Recruit

Thanks for the reply, Battlechili!
    Yep, we've got some UI work to do. I want there to be some animating components (in an ideal scenario) which I think would make it a lot more dynamic. Seeing it in motion is always better than static screens, so...maybe you'll feel differently when we get to that point! (I mocked up the menu UI with a series of PNGs as a GIF, so it's more a proof-of-concept than what it'll actually look like in the game)

As for the other stuff... Sorry if it came across as justification. It's not my justification; that is how the businesses approach it. I'm only trying to share the facts and mindset that many companies share. I'm with you about XSeed! They do such great work, and I hope they can continue to grow :D

14. Battlechili

Battlechili Senior Member

I'm honestly surprised and really happy that you took that as well as you did; I was worried I'd come off as too harsh. I just wanted to make sure that I got my feelings across as best I can without muddling them down.

And cool! I look forward to seeing what the final UI looks like in-game. I'm glad to hear that there's still work to be done on that, and it being more animated might certainly help it out. I'll try to keep an open mind while keeping up with the progress of this game!

15. Nonscpo

Nonscpo Member

16. Minuteworld_92

Minuteworld_92 Senior Member

I like the premis-

"hello, I'm nick doerr"

DROPPED

17. Minuteworld_92

Minuteworld_92 Senior Member

that's what kissing ass is...

18. burgerunit

burgerunit Coca-Cola Reward Points Member

Prefundia, Kickstarter, Patreon... It really is like a zombie that won't die. Sorry Nick, but maybe... people just aren't interested?

Make it a Yuri title and maybe I'll consider it hohohoho.

i still wouldn't though. I haven't forgotten what he did in the past

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  19. MonsterGirlFanBoy

MonsterGirlFanBoy Senior Member

I'm out of the loop, could you fill me in?

20. burgerunit

burgerunit Coca-Cola Reward Points Member

Basically he fucked with my beloved Neptunia franchise. He is the reason why people resorted to creating fan translation patches, because the dialogue had been altered so heavily so he could include dank memes and whatever else that goofball finds funny.

And he's former NISA, but I guess I won't hold that against him lol

Read through the rest of this topic if u want. He posted here and stuff.