Undead Darlings Campaign

Discussion in 'Game Development' started by Nonscpo, Jan 26, 2016.

1. WB1c_Marathon

WB1c_Marathon Well-Known Member

Just stopping in to say, thank you for taking the time to come here and answer questions. In this day and age where people prefer to hide behind block lists, you have earned a bunch of credit and respect in my book for coming here. I wish you luck in future endeavors.

2. DDD-kun

DDD-kun Senior Member

If I can be blunt, thank you for being honest. Of all the built problems in the miscommunication between companies, developers, localizers, and fans, I hold and stand by the biggest problem of all is this push to not be honest. I understand very, very well that lawsuit language and advantage temperament is something that gets in the way (the HQ Titles, as you coined, being used as leverage against even the slightest amount of dissent). But even then, there is a pressing demand to obfuscate the truth in the simplest of problems or questions. Particularly on a field like social media—I can easily state the one time a PR manager was honest with the customer base, the remaining PR and even media branches threw a damned fit.

And that PR was at Koei Tecmo, regarding the cancellation of DOAX3 as a western release possibility. I recall not hating that person, whoever it was, because they were being plainly honest. No frills, no sugarcoating. I didn't like the decision, but I never faulted that person or KT, and even now have plans to nab the Asia release as advertised. But I'm sure you are quite aware of what happened as a result of that honesty, regardless of whether the unrelated merchants at Play-Asia was being coy or just telling it like it is in wake of that facebook announcement.

And on that note, I'll also apologize sincerely and deeply, for so mischaracterizing you. Whatever my feelings regarding the work on the Neptune titles, hauling about and unleashing undue animosity on you is, as I now see, uncalled for. I'll be excusing myself from that in the future.

Thank you for responding to our questions. This was very educational and I hope to be using this info justly in the future.

3. Landale

Landale Recruit

Cross Edge.
    Couldn't say for sure, but it having several companies directly tied to it likely made the situation even worse, which would explain that situation making them feel the need to rename the series here as it too started with a lot of companies attached.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  4. NickyD

NickyD Recruit

Thank you for the replies!
    I wasn't sure what to expect as a result, but this ended up being a really wonderful experience. I kept quiet after the fact because I wanted to give my original answers a chance to be in the spotlight, otherwise I was worried the focus would fall on later responses instead of those Q&A responses. :)

Again, thank you all for the opportunity to voice my experiences. It'd be fun to do one again someday!

5. isaacbeans

isaacbeans Is totally sexy.

lol so this game will fail again. just tell him why. be like yo. you suck

6. Angelus

Angelus Senior Member

Bruh, did you even read?

7. isaacbeans

No, tell me good sir how I'm wrong?

8. Angelus

Angelus Senior Member

The point of this thread kinda got hijacked by the Q&A. Nick came and answered a bunch of our questions, seriously worth a read.

9. isaacbeans

Still did not prove that I am wrong? :p

10. NickyD

NickyD Recruit

Greetings, fellows!
    I've uploaded a couple of new videos for Undead Darlings. Please check them out if you have the time!
    One is a quick jaunt through part of the shopping mall dungeon (still not finalized, the color coordination bugs me a little), and the second is an event scene featuring Emily (and Cici). It's a bit anachronistic since Emily joins in a later dungeon, but folks wanted to see more of her, and who am I to tell them no?!
    Just keep in mind that the cringe you will feel from some of Cici's lines is intentional, and part of her character arc/personality growth throughout the game. I was cringing when I wrote them, so hopefully that intention comes across. There are still no sound effects implemented, much to my chagrin, so feel free to mute the video if you're already listening to some music :)

11. DeepShitAboutWings

DeepShitAboutWings Senior Member

The designs are generic as fuck but still appealing. Not a fan of the music in the vids.
    I'm not all that familiar with your work and the rage it causes but it must take a lot of time and effort to produce a VNDungeonCrawler game so best of luck to your endeavor.
    You best be promoting this elsewhere since this forum only has like 5 members browsing.

12. Lex

Lex Senior Member

Some of those dungeon walls look like they belong in a Rugrats game.

13. NickyD

NickyD Recruit

Hahaha, perfect!

14. Angelus

Angelus Senior Member

I agree that the music isn't my favourite.
    Will the final game keep the floating cupcakes in lieu of random encounters? I've only played first-person dungeon crawlers with random encounters, so I'm pretty interested in how that'll turn out.
    Also, are you planning on having 'random' dialogue with party members relating to things done by the player, or will that be limited to scripted events like in your other vids? That's something I really enjoyed when playing Dungeon Travelers 2.

Am pretty interested in seeing more, particularly party setup/equipment and some battle basics.

There's two other pages to this thread, lol. We do also have quite a few lurkers.

15. Minuteworld_92

Minuteworld_92 Senior Member

but maymays are funny tho. lel hold on I gotta share this thread to n/neptunia lol le reddit reference XD

16. NickyD

NickyD Recruit

You betcha. I've got social media sites I keep updated as best I can and I always ask journos to look our updates over to see if it's something they'd want to write a post about, but in the end that's their call. I decided to post updates in here as well because it looks like it got a lot of page views from the Q&A, so if people come here but not other places, they can stay up to date as well. :D

There will be random encounters + those set icon encounters. It's something I've seen and kind of held onto from Wizardry, Class of Heroes, Demon Gaze, etc. The set icon encounters are meant to be a guide, of sorts, to let you know you may be traveling a path that'll lead to some loot or an event.

There are semi-random sub-events to find in dungeons, based on your party setup. So while DT2 had them play at complete random (seemingly), ours will be something for players to seek out and keep their party setup from growing too stale.
    ...Man, DT2 is easily one of my favorite dungeon crawlers ever. Were it not for that ridiculous grind to get 10,000 kills, I'd have gotten the platinum trophy for DT2 twice, haha. DT1 was also really good! Tamaki is best samurai.

I really wish I could show more of the party setup/menu and battle system, but it's taking a really long time since the programmer is freelance (were he on salary, I think it'd be a different story). Like, I can show mockups of how we're planning the menus, and I've got some battle footage that isn't that awesome... I'd rather keep them underneath the sheets until they've matured/ripened and it's time to dutch oven the internet with them. Basically, look up some Phantasy Star IV battle and/or menu footage, and you'll get a good idea of the direction we want to take.

Thank you for the questions!

17. hina

hina Senior Member

I don't know if you'll respond to this but here's some thoughts after seeing both trailers.

I'm not sure if the fog is supposed to be as close as it is because it really limits what you can see and in a first person dungeon crawler I prefer being able to see ahead of me a lot more than what's presented otherwise the dungeon itself looks a little generic, it could be more colorful or have a more striking design.

Hopefully this isn't going to be the music you will be using in game since it's okay to listen to for a little while but if this is on loop then it'll become a little irritating.

Maybe it's too late to say this but I think would prefer western cartoon design over a Japanese one, it's not because the art is bad, I think it's quite good but seeing after the dialogue it just doesn't fit well because it looks like you have all these Japanese characters talking about western things and that just doesn't fit, there is something off about it.

I'm not sure if you understand what I'm trying to say but I hope you consider even if it's additional DLC having the option to have the characters made in western style as well.

18. NickyD

NickyD Recruit

Happy to reply! Although it may not be the answer you'll want...
    The FOV (field of view) is limited based on other dungeon crawlers I've played. Generally, 2-3 spaces of visibility is the standard, and then you can cast "light" spells or use "torches" to extend that view. A good way to check on this in games you've played is to face a wall, and step backwards until it disappears. Granted, I don't play PC dungeon crawlers, so perhaps some of those have a broader FOV, but we're sticking to the limited view in case we want to release the title on handheld or mobile devices down the line. Every "step" we extend the field, we have to build the dungeon higher and lower to accommodate it (otherwise you'll see the edges of the map) and this quickly increases the number of assets and visual memory required to render the level in its entirety.

As for the design, it's a looted mall rooted in reality, and reality is fairly generic. A lot of the cool colorful/striking elements are actually being reserved for backers when our crowdfunding campaign starts again. If you check our Prefundia page, a few ideas are to let people submit a signature or some manner of graffiti that we can place on these walls, and I'd want to use really colorful pink, purple, or green strokes to keep in line with the title's primary color scheme. That would make things really fun to look at, while also giving backers a chance to have something of theirs visible in the game for others to experience. I hope that makes sense...

The music won't loop as much in the final product. There will be random encounters that interrupt it, and event scenes will have their own music tracks. We don't have the funding to create a ton of music tracks right now, and I can't pay a programmer to implement the code to switch between music tracks quite yet (while it sounds simple enough, our event system engine is still independent from the dungeon crawling, so the two don't share code yet -- it makes the "simple" implementation a tad more complex).

The visual design is something I'm not going to change. That would remove about 14 months of development and most of the capital we've invested, so it's not feasible. I wanted to meld Western storytelling with Japanese visual aesthetics in an attempt to give these anime-style characters a broader range of topics to chat about. Surely we've seen the exact same scenarios play out in a number of JRPGs to the point where you can predict the lines before they're even on your screen. There's nothing wrong with that, it's comforting in a way to know what's going to happen, but it's not the direction we're taking. If it really strikes you the wrong way, this may not be the game for you -- and that's totally fine! I'm passionate about both Japan and the West, so this is the way I've chosen to attempt to blend the two. I have several other game concepts written up, and some of those will benefit from a Western art style more than others. Perhaps one of those will be more like what you're looking for :)

Thank you so much for the feedback!

19. Angelus

Angelus Senior Member

Interview: Nick Doerr (Undead Darlings) - Zombie Waifus and Localisation Woes (Original) | Dailydpad.de
    Sounds like Nick might be going the direction of Motomu Toriyama for his characters, and is going to tell us about the deeper meaning of roses soon.

20. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

On the list of "what not to say when discussing your writing", this ranks pretty high!