Undead Darlings Campaign

Discussion in 'Game Development' started by Nonscpo, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Nonscpo

Nonscpo Member

So The folks at Mr Tired Media are giving crowdfunding a second chance, this time however they've opened up a Prefundia page, and are asking for all forms of feedback in preparation for Kickstarter. If interested I'll include the link (will update the thread with relevant info as needed):

Undead Darlings ~no cure for love~ | Prefundia

2. Nonscpo

Nonscpo Member

3. hina

hina Senior Member

No just no.

4. Mea_K

Mea_K Senior Member

It's not just Nick Doerr, it's Nick Doerr flying solo!

Anyway, yeah, no.

I'm glad the man gets to realize his dream of writing his own stuff instead of having to settle for polluting Neptunia localizations with his fanfiction, but I wouldn't exactly call myself a fan of his.

At least this will prevent him from doing any more damage for a while.

Edit:

[​IMG]

What do you guys suppose this means? He was forced at gunpoint to put in memes?

5. hina

hina Senior Member

I think he just wants to shift the blame to someone else instead of just outright admit that he fucked up decent games with stupid memes that he think were "cool" and "hip" because Rebirth 1 turned out good and that was when he wasn't there, so no, it is his fault.

6. Narmy

Narmy Senior Member

He probably realizes that his reputation is a liability to his campaign, so he's going to try and appease the people who hate the changes he's made.

7. Heavily Augmented

Heavily Augmented Senior Member

8. Narmy

Narmy Senior Member

The main culprit behind the meme translation of most Neptunia games.

9. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

Didn't one of the Nep spinoffs reference GamerGate? I may have been looking at a fake screenshot but I wouldn't put it past the localizers.

10. DDD-kun

DDD-kun Senior Member

I forget the original context of the line but there was a screencap of a character named Dengeki in Neptunia U relaying a broadcast that was taken as a stab against GG. I can't verify because I can't remember that particular scene's original context.

11. DDD-kun

DDD-kun Senior Member

Also:

12. Mea_K

Mea_K Senior Member

IIRC they are being accused of something horrible but optimistically remark that at least the accusation is not one of unethical journalism. Something along those lines.

I don't think anyone ever conclusively figured out if it was supposed to be anti or pro GG.

Either way injecting current events into what was supposed to be a translation was obviously poor localization work.

13. DigiGuineaPig

DigiGuineaPig Senior Member

THAT'S THE GUY?! *grabs baseball bat*

14. DDD-kun

DDD-kun Senior Member

The core problem as far as I can see with a lot of these editors and writers on the localization staff. I can get how grating it is to sit and check, double-check, and triple-check endless streams of texts because I used to do that kind of thing (for data entry). But you're still not supposed to insert yourselves into the story.

No matter how funny you think the doge meme is. I need to see the story that someone else wrote, not you.

Doerr's work has me swearing away from his own original projects. A shame. Had he held in his spaghetti on projects that weren't his, he wouldn't even be on my radar of people to avoid in gaming.

15. Angelus

Angelus Senior Member

They make it clear who their audience is.
    When they take liberties, they're trying to sell it as Western media with cute anime girls. That's fine, I guess. Pokemon, Digimon, DBZ were all localized as children's cartoons at first, not as Anime.

I want my localizations to have literal translations. I want to have to look shit up, or take a minute to read an in-game glossary to know what something is referencing. The weeb lords have given me their blessing, and the moon is most beautiful locked up behind padded walls. A goal in my life would be to do low-work translations, with a lot of notes included. Localizers should be passionate about the game and the culture it came from, it should be as unthinkable for them to insert themselves into it as it would be to defile van Gogh's self-portrait.

16. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

FUCKING T H I S

I'll be honest, I don't give one single shit about how good of a writer Eddie McLocalizer thinks he is (he's actually terrible, that's why he localizes other people's work instead of creating his own), he does not have the right to change anything from the original script unless it is impossible to understand. A game like Neptunia isn't some mainstream household name anyways, it's for weaboos who jack off to fansubbed hentai and can look up what the script actually says at any time. Just because some character references some obscure anime from 1979 doesn't mean you can go "HUUUHHHH WELL I GUESS I BETTER CHANGE IT TO A GOOFY NEOGAF MAYMAY FELLAS!!!! GIVE ME MY CHECK NIPPON ICHI"

17. Largo

Largo Senior Member

Never heard of this Nick guy until now, judging by some of the posts here it's clear he may be someone to avoid buying from.

18. DDD-kun

DDD-kun Senior Member

Couldn't tell you where Nick's true talents lie, but from here you can see where they do not.

19. Mea_K

Mea_K Senior Member

Since he'd love to talk to fans (of Neptunia), maybe our beloved staff should interview him. :D

20. DDD-kun

DDD-kun Senior Member