Thoughts on the Forums?

Discussion in 'Feedback and Issues' started by Brandon, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Brandon

Brandon Big Papa Overlord Staff Member

I think I know what you mean - the ad sometimes covers the entire screen? I think I'm going to just disable it for now, as I'm trying to find a way to have one that scales to mobile size.

That's awesome - seriously it means so much to me :) My goal is to provide tools for content creators in the very near future.. don't want to say too much of what it is, but you'll see!

2. Voiced

Voiced Senior Member

As I have said before to you on Twitter, I will gladly make exclusive videos for NicheGamer if desired and try and help give traffic to site.
    Well, I'd give it a try since I've not really made videos before.

3. DigiGuineaPig

DigiGuineaPig Senior Member

I'd like some tools. Community blog posts is where it's at!

4. Chaos

Chaos Senior Member

I would dig that.

for the podcast I do all the news I share is 9 times out of 10 from this site. Always throw links up in the description of course. More tools would be really fun to mess around with.

5. Felkyr

Felkyr Recruit

>>>I took to it right away. It looks clean, and unique, and has the standard functions you'd expect on a forum. I'd say don't change anything drastically. But then I'm quite okay with humble forums like GaiaOnline and Serebii. Also, are the text-colour choices the standard copic range? It looks familiar.
    >>>Anyway... I was happy to find the Patreon you'd set up by the way. Was planning on making a recurring Paypal donation anyway, but since the Patreon had cool stuff I took advantage. I'm excited for this whole thing. I've been craving decent, unbiased, content for the games I actually like, which you seem to cover most of.
    >>>edit. After about a week here, so far most of what I see in threads is you all bitching about absolutely anything you can. I try to make constructive posts, either positive or action-orientated, but eh... I'll persist, I'll start trying more of a variety of forums, but I'm now not hopeful I'll be able to continue using this site.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  6. Domi

Domi Senior Member

I have 3 complains... well, more like, stuff I'd like to ask for:

1 - Why can't I change a thread's title?

I know that rarely there's a reason to change the title of a thread, but I actually enjoy doing that. For example, if the thread it's about X series and they announce a new sequel, well, I'd like to edit the title to reflect this. Like "X series thread / X9 announced!"

Also, I have planned to make a thread about a game series and, depending on the reaction / what I found, I may need to change the title because the nature of the thread may also change.

2 - Media limitation on posts... why?

I guess it's to avoid users spamming content and videos, but... what if I'm making a thread about a game series and I want to add one video for every title? After the fifth video, that's the end, no more videos on your posts.

Also, if you link to a video, the forum shows that as if you were using [media] instead of .

3 - Spoilers mess up everything inside

If it's just text, then it's ok, but if you add videos, pictures, etc everything inside the spoiler is... I don't know, it's a disaster from what I remember.

I had all of these problems when I made my threads, and I wonder if any of this could be fixed or if there's a way to still do what I need.

This forum has a lot of features and looks so shiny and great and I can't help but wonder about all of this.

7. ZappaJawaka

ZappaJawaka Recruit

So far I'm really enjoying this forum! There seem to be a lot of nice people here and the layout is really cozy. :3
    Also, the alert function is very cool!

8. Frit_/x/

Frit_/x/ Member

this forum still needs automated updates for threads. Why do i have to reloade a page over and over again in a discussion?

9. DuckSquared

DuckSquared Senior Member

It does, and you don't. A thing appears saying, "x messages have been posted since you loaded this page. View them?" with a clickable link. Clicking the link shows the messages.

10. Frit_/x/

Frit_/x/ Member

never saw it?

11. Angelus

Angelus Senior Member

What lameass browser are you using?

12. peskeem

peskeem Member

I think there should be a News subforum where NG articles get linked to and people can discuss them here instead. Allows conversations to continue without needing to be in the discussion and getting alerts and allows people who dislike disquis (however it's spelt) to talk about it without reposting it.

Similar to how rpgcodex does it.
    RPG Codex News & Content Comments | rpg codex > 10% discount on all merchandise featuring Chris Avellone

Also the reply buttons are white text on white backgrounds for me.

13. Angelus

Angelus Senior Member

I think it'd work for them to be posted in a method similar to status updates, and slowly wean off of Disqus.

14. peskeem

peskeem Member

I'm not sure what you mean 'posted in a method similar to status updates' but I suppose disqus won't leave for a while since it's popular and easy to use.

15. Angelus

Angelus Senior Member

A style similar to this, where the posts would be the title, and the article would open as an overlay. Even just a direct link to the article would work fine, considering how unnatural it is to go from the forums back to the main site.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Domi

Domi Senior Member

No offense, but sometimes I wish there was more talk about video games here. I normally don't post on other threads because I have nothing to add or say (yes, I admit I'm that boring!) and I'm not against talking about controversies or problems (I agree to the main points that you guys raise) but... it's just, sometimes, it feels like the forum cares and talks more about said controversies than about video games.

17. Hikari

Hikari Recruit

Is there a way to delete drafts without making another comment in the thread? I quoted another user in order to copy paste the quote in an edit to my latest post in a thread and I somehow can't delete the saved draft of what I typed. When I erase everything in the textbox, it's not registered as an empty draft so the old lengthy draft is still there.

I know that I can delete the whole box contents and post something else, but I don't want to double post and this has happened a couple times for me now.

This is on the mobile site by the way.

Also, if I go back to previous text farther up in the text box to change the wording before I post, the autocorrect on my mobile gets really screwed up for some reason. This is the only time it's ever done that. (However, I can't replicate the second one reliably yet.)

18. peskeem

peskeem Member

I think there needs to be a separate place for gaming and specifiably about news. There's bound to be an overlap, like with the fighting game thread, but Rapp isn't a video game thread. If it was just labelled 'gaming news' then it could cover controversies as well. No sure where the thread about people getting upset that the size of digital underwear was changed should go except the bin.

19. DeepShitAboutWings

DeepShitAboutWings Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Would it be possible to implement a way for images to have small thumbnails but enlarge after clicking them? I mean make them smaller than what they have right now. See the above image. It can be enlarged but the default thumbnail size is still too big.

It's a minor inconvenience scrolling through long image threads.

20. burgerunit

burgerunit Coca-Cola Reward Points Member

I think the forums need to be advertised more on the main site to get some new blood in here. Right now its kinda hidden in the Community submenu and most people are lazy fucks and wont go that far. If there was a sidebar that had recent forum posts to jump out and grab peoples attention, like the already existing recent Disqus comments bar, that might be efficient.