Thoughts on the Forums?

Discussion in 'Feedback and Issues' started by Brandon, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Brandon

Brandon Big Papa Overlord Staff Member

Hi all - please let me know what you think of the forums in their current format? Sound off in the comments below!

2. Blank Slate

Blank Slate Senior Member

Is the "Home" button supposed to redirect to the main Niche Gamer site? At the moment it serves the same purpose as the "Forums" button.

3. Domi

Domi Senior Member

There should be a thread for new people so they can introduce themselves! Like, where can you introduce yourself here?

4. Zoopditto

Zoopditto Recruit

The design looks neat.
    Do you plan for any linking between the comments on the main site and the forums? It'd be nice the share the same accounts for both.

5. Brandon

There's a link to that in the footer. I was debating on making a link to the main site in the header, but I'm concerned it might confuse people.

I'm actually trying to think of a way to do this. I want to unify it all and make the site into more of a hub, a community.

6. JeremiahSimpson

JeremiahSimpson Recruit

Is there any way to have a "spoiler" system in posts, where you can hide parts of the post behind a collapsible box or hover text?

7. Bananus Maximus

Bananus Maximus Recruit

I AM NEW
    I FUKKEN LOVE THIS
    And ehm yes I love the design and would love to see the avatar cap increased in the future :p (probably coz still early and stuff)

8. derram

derram Recruit

Any plans to expand the board list?

9. Brandon

I think so let me try

a spider

K yeah you have to use the [ spoiler ] [/ spoiler ] tags, without the spaces. Need to see how I can add this via a button

I was thinking about having lots of subforums and stuff, but I want to foster more people talking more often, and I kind of don't like having too much dividing of topics.

Maybe in the future.

10. Bananus Maximus

Bananus Maximus Recruit

Testing spoiler filter feature.
    CHAOS SHALL FALL!!

11. Frit_/x/

Frit_/x/ Member

How about an Automatic page reloade. So you don't have to reloade the page everytime (for example; when lurking in a thread.)
    Of course, only if you don't write a comment.

12. Geb

Geb SeƱor Member

The forum's design looks good to me, but it seems there maaay still be minor bugs here and there.

Two things I've noticed:
    1. Avatar cropping doesn't seem to work. I tried to make it so my avatar crops the topmost portion of my avatar image, but as you can see it stays centered in the middle.
    2. That 'Your changes have been saved' popup that appears when you click 'Save Changes' in your settings is transparent. That could be on purpose, but considering the forum's color scheme, the dark text is a bit difficult to see.

13. Brandon

Hmm, ok. Alerts do show up in real time tho! Looking into it.

I noticed the avatar thing.. I've been trying to work on it. Duly noted~ next on my list

14. Naoto

Naoto Member

Initial impression is I'm pleasantly surprised. Looks real good so far.
    Darker background on the site and forum is a must so thanks for that. No idea why people opt for blindingly white.

15. black mamba

black mamba Recruit

As someone with comcast thus often flaky internet, please don't implement this. or if you do make sure it can be toggled.

16. KoroGames

KoroGames Recruit

Been along time since NG had forums. Whatever the default avatar is supose to be, it doesn't display for me. though i fixed this by changing my avatar. also had to make my avatar really small for only 50kb.

17. Keinart

Keinart Member

Bredy good, I'll would however propose a couple things, I know this is probably created through a template so most of the stuff can't be changed, and my opinions are usually too extreme so you can directly ignore me, but I would personally change it to make it more minimalistic.

First, I'm too used to imageboards and now these kind of forums look too bloated for me. I would remove ton of shit like the "new" appearing always in every new post for every thread you have not watched yet (I would only leave it for new answers on threads you have watched), the text to report saying when the person posted this, it's better to just leave that in a small corner with only the date and the report botton being only an icon and no the entire word. More of the same for the like and reply, in fact I would make the reply bigger since it's something pretty useful.
    At the bottom of the screen, all the Back to Niche Gamer, Contact Us, Help, Home, etc..., I don't understand why they must be there and then even more down there the Term and Rules and Privacy. I would put all of them together taking as less space possible.

The extra options for when posting, I would change Reply to Thread to only Reply, Upload a file I think I would directly remove it since it will probably be used to fuck up your bandwith and even when uploading images all you see is a shitty thumbnail, places like imgur or puush are better for this and everyone knows how to use them. I would also remove the more details post, since it literally have the same options that the quick reply, only with the options to watch this thread and receive email notifications, that seriously, who wants to receive a single email everytime someone say something in a thread? For that you already have the notifications up there for when people quote you.

And with that we can go to the top of the site. There you have the watch thread and forums for the notifications, so that makes the previous options I mentioned even more useless. For me I would also move the watch thread up in the same line with the thread title, that way it takes less space.

I think it's stupid to have up there the Home, Forums, Member and all that, to then have it AGAIN just below indicating where are you. Let's be real, if I want to go back I'll just go back in my browser, I don't need any indication there, and for going back to the menu the upper top option will probably always be the first preference. Also the forum it's not so big that I need indications about where exactly I am every second, so for me I would also remove that. This can be apply too for the search. There's a search in the top and another search just below that says "search forums", just remove one. And for the Home button, you should link it to the main website obviously, not the forums since the forums already have the forums button, but I guess you are already working on it and the integration and stuff.

The user options at the top-right side. They are good but shouldn't you guys leave more space for the nicks? I mean, my nick is not so long but it's reduced with an ellipsis for some reason
    [​IMG]

The profile options are also a mess, but like every forum I guess. If it was for me I would just take out all of them and leave only the most basic. Your avatar, signature, basic information, and that's it. The rest is just confusting
    [​IMG]

Alerts, Alerts preferences, People you follow, ignore, personal details, news feed... seriously most of them could just go in the profile section with your avatar and signature and basic information, some other could be together like people you follow and ignore, password and two-step verification, alerts and alerts preferences. And other stuff like the news feed? Just take it out, nobody it's going to use that ever, with the follow part it's already enough and even that section it's not going to be used that much unless you want to stalk somebody (and stalking is bad, that's what the police told me about my ex-girlfriend).

Finally and to close this huge wall of text, I would also remove the messages, likes and thropies below your avatar in every single message. If I want to see that I can just check your profile, and with the title, like "Recruit", it already tell me if it's someone who post a lot or not, I don't need any extra information. They also take an extra space that leaves a huge blank in most of the forum messages since they usually are no longer than two or three lines, so removing them would make the forum look sexier.

That's basically it, now I'll go to kill myself or something, sorry for the huge text, and also the forum it's not bad, it's just me that I'm a huge fagget when it comes to web design and my autism talks like I hate everything, but not really.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  18. Frit_/x/

Frit_/x/ Member

yeah, something like this.

19. Brandon

No this is stuff I want to hear as I want to keep improving the forum.

Our previous forum had a LOT of stuff I gutted out of it, so I can do it here and I did actually want to remove a lot of the superfluous stuff.. I was mostly just focused on trying to get them ready and public. Going to double me efforts now, though!

20. momo

momo Recruit

I really enjoy the color scheme and layout