The Game Awards shall be upon us soon! Who will you vote for?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by 3rdStrike_Ebi, Nov 28, 2015.

1. 3rdStrike_Ebi

3rdStrike_Ebi Senior Member

It's that time of year again: The Game Awards shall be broadcast on just about every platform you can think of. If you've been meaning to vote this year, by all means, click here.

If I had to be honest, they talked about how the gamers had more freedom to vote this time around, but frankly, it doesn't seem like much. I would've thought they have a People's Choice award for the games the judges are voting on, at the very least. But oh well, not much we can do about that.

For the curious, here are the games I believe should win the awards:

Game of the Year: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
    Developer of the Year: Kojima Productions
    Best Independent Game: Undertale
    Best Mobile/Handheld Game: Monster Hunter 4: Ultimate
    Best Narrative: Until Dawn
    Best Score/Soundtrack: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
    Best Performance: Mark Hamill as The Joker (Batman: Arkham Knight)
    Games for Impact: Undertale
    Best Shooter: Splatoon
    Best Action/Adventure: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
    Best Role Playing Game: Bloodborne
    Best Fighting Game: Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-
    Best Family Game: Splatoon
    Best Sports/Racing Game: Rocket League
    Best Multiplayer: Splatoon
    Best Art Direction: Bloodborne

eSports Game of the Year: N/A
    Best Fan Creation: Twitch Plays Dark Souls
    Trending Gamer: Markiplier
    eSports Team of the Year: N/A
    eSports Player of the Year: N/A
    Most Anticipated Game: No Man's Sky

Those were my choices, how about yours?

2. Mea_K

Mea_K Senior Member

I have only played one of the game of the year nominees and I don't fare much better in most other categories, so I might as well not bother voting.

>eSports Game of the Year
    >StarCraft isn't even nominated
    Absolutely disgusting!

Both Cibele and Sunset are nominated for "games for impact". I'm not sure what this category is supposed to be about, but surely games no one has played can't have had much of an impact on anything.

3/5 "family game" nominees require additional purchases of toys to put into the game. An entire generation is growing up with extreme DLC practices. Selling content complete games will be considered archaic by 2020.

I will laugh so hard if Rocket League ends up beating all the big annual licensed sportsball games for best sports game!

3. Chaos

Chaos Senior Member

I have a feeling Fallout 4 is going to win game of the year. I'd personaly vote for MGS V or Witcher 3.

4. Heavily Augmented

Heavily Augmented Senior Member

As long as Sunset/Cibele/Life is Strange doesn't win the "Games for Impact" award, I'm fine with anything else. Or at the very least Witcher 3 bathes in Fallout 4's blood.

5. Chaos

Chaos Senior Member

Why is Sunset even on there? didn't it bomb?

6. Heavily Augmented

Yep, even to the point where the developers said they were shutting down while insulting gamers on Twitter. But now they've announced they'll be doing a Kickstarter for another game. I can't wait to see that bomb too and them get salty again.

7. isaacbeans

isaacbeans Is totally sexy.

lol idontevenlikeanyofthesegames

8. Hrist

Hrist Senior Member

How does game of the year even work when some of those games like Fallout 4 is only a month out?

Hm...I only like Metal Gear and some and that's it. Oh well.

9. Chaos

Chaos Senior Member

I remember them insulting gamers on twitter, but they're kickstarting another game? I'm gonna have to stock up on fries and popcorn for all that salt they're going to produce.

10. hina

hina Senior Member

I guess I'm the only one that doesn't take this seriously since they put a non-game like cibele in there not as a joke but as a valid entry.

11. Chaos

Chaos Senior Member

I'm not going to care who wins one way or the other, it's just interesting to see what they're going to pull? I mean Fallout 4 could be literally just a video of a dog taking a shit and it would still win. Pop it onto your PS4/XbONE/Steam watch a 3:00 minute video of a Bulldog dropping a duece, and they'd be climbing over each other to slap their GOTY sticker on it.

12. Blank Slate

Blank Slate Senior Member

I wonder how many higher-ups Nina Freeman needed to fuck for The Game Awards to even consider Cibele?

13. Largo

Largo Senior Member

Witcher 3 and MGSV should most likely get GOTY, Fallout 4 is too much of a buggy mess.

14. 3rdStrike_Ebi

3rdStrike_Ebi Senior Member

It's also too recent.

15. Heavily Augmented

A great scholar once said this and basically describes Sunset (and everything else this development team has made) at its finest. "This shit's so pretentious it just gave me a film school degree."

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  16. Lex

Lex Senior Member

Has it been a year already? Fuck.

I don't like voting on categories where there are games I know are likely to be good but I haven't played yet (like Witcher 3), but I will definitely do my bit to torpedo Sunset and Cibele.

You really need to link the video - shit's hilarious.

17. Heavily Augmented

You're right, I edited the comment so the video would show. Everyone should watch it.

18. Hrist

Hrist Senior Member

REFUND. But seriously, wut.

19. DigiGuineaPig

DigiGuineaPig Senior Member

I'm surprised Splatoon isn't listed under the GOTY category. Out of the games listed I'd say Mario Maker should be GOTY but I'm pretty sure it will go to either MGS or Fallout. I'm 100% Fallout would win.

I'm glad Undertale is listed in the independent section. I'm pretty sure it will win, possible will be beaten by Her Story. I don't think Axiom Verge got the love it should've had, but didn't that game come out on tons of platforms and get lots of press review? So maybe that will influence the win. Ori and the Blind Forest is fantastic although I don't think it will win, I didn't hear much from the game in various communities and those who had played it just said, "It was cool." Rocket League might come through with a win because a lot of people played it, and the youtube/twitch coverage of that game was pretty heavy.

Indie games are always up in the air just because of those nature. Those games are usually diversely niche, so I guess it comes down to which niche fan base for the game is biggest. I hope for Undertale but I have a feeling Rocket League might swoop in and take a victory just based on the type of game it is.

I think I'll stop here before write way too much and this post gets all convoluted. lol

20. Alexis

Alexis Moderator Staff Member

So they revealed their Industry Icon Award, and it seems to be to the co-founders of Westwood Studios.

As much as I loathe the Game Awards for essentially being an advertisment disguised as an awards show, the Industry Icon Award was my favorite part of the whole thing. I'm kinda surprised they even remembered Westwood Studios.