The FPS Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Heavily Augmented, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Heavily Augmented

Heavily Augmented Senior Member

So anyone here like first person shooters? If you do, just talk about anything related to them.

I've been playing the original Turok: Dinosaur Hunter recently and it's pretty fun.
    [​IMG]

Dated graphics aside, it's aged well with some fun weapons, good level design, and I don't hate the first person platforming the game has. Probably one of the few console centric FPS games out there that are really good. Night Dive Studios also did quite a decent job on the remaster (thank god all the draw distance fog can be removed).

2. Blank Slate

Blank Slate Senior Member

I'm replaying Doom for the first time in 15 years or so. I played the game originally on the PS1 when I was a kid; don't remember if I finished it or not. Having a blast with it so far, much better than I remember it. Some people may criticise it for being ordinary by today's standards, but I think it still has a certain uniqueness that hasn't been (successfully) replicated.

Thinking of playing Wolfenstein: The New Order after Doom1+2, I've heard it's quite good by modern FPS standards.

3. GrossMcloss

GrossMcloss Senior Member

I have Turok installed but haven't played it yet. I watched a few videos of it and it looks fun, really like the speed and the weapons.

4. Heavily Augmented

I'd highly recommend it. The game has some fun gunplay (and stealth) along with a story that's able to transition well between a campy and dark tones.
    Weaponry is something that the Turok games definitely specialize in. Especially excited for Turok 2 being enhanced eventually and people get to use the Cerebral Bore again.
    [​IMG]

5. cerebro podrido

cerebro podrido Senior Member

I've been playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Heretic sparingly, really should finish them. Also E.Y.E whenever I feel like collecting some brouzouf, already got the true ending so it's mostly for dumb fun.

6. Dendro Batidae

Dendro Batidae Quite the Cynic

So, what is your favorite Call of Duty?

7. cerebro podrido

I've only played Call of Duty 2, so I'm gonna go with that one. I remember it being decent, but don't know how I would perceive it now.

8. Heavily Augmented

Would you recommend E.Y.E? I tried playing if for a few hours due to many people putting parallels between it and Deus Ex and I just found it to be an utter clusterfuck most of the time.
    Never played the old ones, but I enjoyed the campaign and simple multiplayer of COD 4 and WAW. Everything went to shit after though (except maybe Black Ops 2).

9. Dendro Batidae

What kind of faggot plays CoD for the multiplayer?

Anyway, you may want to give Modern Warfare 2 a try, I thought it was better than CoD 4.

Don't bother with Modern Warfare 3, the story goes to complete shit and ruins a lot of characters.

Also Black Ops is great. A lot of people don't know but it is a direct sequel to World at War. They also play the Cold War theme very well.

10. peskeem

peskeem Member

Time to replay.
    I think it's one of those things where once it's been once, it's easier to re-create. It's the same with anything that's constantly evolving, technology, anything creative, etc. but you can't recreate the magic.

Speaking of, they released a new Zombies map last week, Zetsubou No Shima.

11. cerebro podrido

Yea, once you stop trying to understand and just execute orders it's a lot of fun. Just put all your points into cyberlegs and only carry Depezador and Depezador ammo with you until you can get the Bearkiller, you'll go sanic fast once you get to 7+ cyber legs. I got a few image guides saved if you want them.

12. Heavily Augmented

Well I didn't play THAT much of it. I just enjoyed the simplicity of the older titles while they are nowhere near as stupidly designed as the future entries with some of the most absurd killstreaks and generally poor balance. As for the rest, MW2 was pretty good, but some aspects of the story really got on my nerves and started to show how stupid they felt like (No Russian being the biggest plot example). Black Ops 1 was forgettable other than a few scripted events. MW3 was absolutely atrocious and my whole experience with it was completely mind wiped. Blops 2 was probably the best after COD 4 in my opinion and I did sort of enjoy the new future setting in a schlock kind of way. Haven't played Advanced Warfare or Blops 3 simply due to disinterest.

I wouldn't mind some of those images if you're okay with it. If not, thank you for the advice.

13. Dendro Batidae

I was just joking, man.

He... that was stupid, but CoD was never an example of good story telling. They are like 80s action movie shlock.

I felt that MW2 had some great moments, specially in the end. The heroes and villain teaming up to fight a bigger threat was always my favorite trope.

MW3 was an abomination, holy shit. They kill the big villain in the most boring and anti-climatic way. That forced drama... those stupid drone sections...

The story also goes completely bonkers. I can ignore some of the absurd plot points of MW2, but in MW3 they take it to a whole new level

Fuck, man. That was my favorite.

The plot twist is kinda obvious, but outside that it was really cool. They really nailed the paranoia and chaos of the cold war. Secret operations on Cuba, escaping from an underground russian prison, killing commies in Nam at the sound of Rolling Stones. From all the CoD I played, Black Ops was the one I had more fun.

Haven't played anything after Black Ops... the future setting kinda put me off. I was digging the Cold War stuff.

But now I'm curious. Guess I'll give it a try latter.

14. Mea_K

Mea_K Senior Member

E.Y.E was some of the most lost and confused I've ever been in a video game. Nothing but respect for the people that soldiered on past the first five minutes.

15. Blank Slate

Blank Slate Senior Member

As someone who was playing the games since the first, I'd honestly say Modern Warfare 2. I preferred Medal of Honor and Brothers in Arms when it came to World War settings.

I can't really think of another FPS that has attempted what Doom accomplished. Most FPS games try and emulate Half-Life and Halo, for better or for worse.

16. Raziel Barkrai

Raziel Barkrai Senior Member

COD4 I guess. Although I kinda got pressured into buying it because my friends wanted me to play it with them. Shit, all I wanted to do was play DMC4.

17. Dendro Batidae

Agree. They tried to get into the "Modern Warfare" bandwagon and it was terrible.

I remenber they got backlash for having playable Taliban.

18. Heavily Augmented

Oh god, I miss the old WW2 Medal of Honor games with their fantastic orchestral soundtracks. Warfighter was so atrocious that most people only remember it as "that game" which was leaked to have a Battlefield 4 beta code.

I think the original Quake also attempted to do what Doom did by pushing FPS games technology with its 3D rendering and fast paced action.

19. cerebro podrido

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    edit:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  20. Heavily Augmented

Thank you for the breakdown. Clears up a lot of the confusion the HUD and descriptions gave.