Tales of Berseria being Censored in West?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by TomatoDragon, Dec 8, 2016.

1. 3rdStrike_Ebi

3rdStrike_Ebi Senior Member

Ugh, that is so goddamn accurate that it makes me want to cry...

I suppose Atlus can be included there, since we're getting dual audio and the rumoured reworking of the localization.

2. vayanui8

vayanui8 Senior Member

I've been enjoying Steins;Gate 0 alot but its also worth mentioning that it had game breaking bugs at launch, and you had to install a day 1 patch in order to play the game. Said patch would also corrupt any existing saves so you had to install the game, and then install the patch before you could even boot it up.

3. Domhnall

Domhnall Senior Member

What's everyone referring to with Persona 5? I guess I missed whatever the bad news was.

4. hina

hina Senior Member

Remember how idea factory "localized" tagmention?

I wouldn't put that much trust in them since they couldn't even do their job properly, having said that they are miles better than Atlus given this is the quality they put into persona 5.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. 3rdStrike_Ebi

3rdStrike_Ebi Senior Member

You mean that Neptunia game? I know about that, yes, but how often does a company openly say SJWs are the reason they don't sell certain games?

I've seen those screenshots multiple times, but I cannot honestly tell you they're legitimate just on the surface. I don't doubt that they fucked something up, but unless I'm given a direct link to gameplay footage... eh.

6. Heavily Augmented

Heavily Augmented Senior Member

Wow, they did that bad of a job? I don't even want to know how that Steins Gate 0 localization went considering how story centric it is. The only way I see myself considering to get Valkyrie at this point is if they port it over like they did with Double Peace on Steam and if by some miracle they pull an XSEED and make it unrated so the ages can be added back in. Though considering that they completely kept the age censorship under the rug until they got called out on it, I sort of doubt that happen.
    I'm not saying we should ignore that (as it could lead to a slippery slope effect) but I'm at least willing to give IFI a lot more of the benefit of the doubt since it was less censorship and more of a localization screw up and they at least acknowledged the problem a lot better.

7. vayanui8

vayanui8 Senior Member

Bar a few issues the Steins;Gate 0 localization is very good. The initial bugs that had to be patched were terrible, but we're dealt with quickly fortunately. I've caught a couple typos but nothing too serious. The only other issue I have is that they swapped the order of first and last names so the first name is first, which doesn't match up with the Japanese audio. This is unfortunately a common practice and it gets on my nerves. The localization is a very accurate translation from what I can tell though.

8. Heavily Augmented

Glad to see the localization itself is fine, but simultaneously, how do code so badly to the point that there are game breaking bugs in a VN of all things? I'm also going to assume that they weren't there from the original Jap versions either, right?

9. vayanui8

vayanui8 Senior Member

I honestly have no idea and it confused the hell out of me as well. The programming is done by the original Japanese devs however, so I can't really hold that to to PQube when the update was available immediately.

10. Kemonomimi4Lyfe

Kemonomimi4Lyfe Recruit

Seems there was a rumor on GameFAQs that Atlus Japan found out that Atlus USA was screwing up the localization of P5, so they had to step in and make things right. Without concrete evidence, I'm not 100% convinced this is true (trust but verify), but given how much of an issue localization has been over the years, I wouldn't be surprised if it was. Honestly, I have a hard time believing they've regressed back to Revelations: Persona-era shittiness.

Shit, that sucks. I'm only up to Drive.06-A, less than 1/2 through the game. So far, I've spotted 3 typos (Rinka saying "Competely" in Drive.04-A, "entrappedr" in the Phantom Blast technique description, "lancher" in the tutorial), a handful of missing words, and the aforementioned Dressing Room crash bug. Oh, and in Drive.03, they couldn't decide if omurice should be "omelette" or "omelet rice", so I guess consistency isn't important or anything.

But hey, if you like memes/cultural references, Momo makes a Fallout reference in Drive.05-A ("This is war. War never changes..."), and Kubira and Shotra's pre-battle descriptions are both a reference to the E3 2006 Genji 2 Demo ("Attack its weak point for massive damage").

Have I mentioned I'm not even halfway through the game yet? Unbelievable that it gets so much worse. I mean, aside from... all of this... the game itself is still kinda fun. Needless to say, the localization doesn't do it justice.

I doubt that as well. On a similar note, DualShockers' review of Root Letter made note of a "handful" of "questionable" translation choices, as well as moments when the subs don't match the Japanese audio. I haven't played this, so I have no idea how prevalent these issues are, but the reviewer still felt the need to mention them so I wouldn't dismiss it outright.

I will tell you that this was my experience with Arcana Heart 3, a fighting game with considerably less text than a VN. I only ran into one typo and there were no bugs, but the shoehorned references/memes were very distracting. I mean, how the fuck would Konoha know anything about sparkly "Meyerian vampires"?

Good to hear that PQube's Steins;Gate 0 localization is better by comparison, but that makes me wonder why the quality of their releases is so wildly inconsistent.

11. TiamatNM

TiamatNM Senior Member

A couple of the Valkyrie Drive ones I saw
    "such a wonderful think"
    "Momo's usually never when we've got plans"

The affection conversation events and late game main story are the worst offenders. I didn't know about those memes/cultural references but I remember thinking the weak point one sounded silly so I wondered if it was a reference.

The game itself is good though I think there is way too much banter.

12. Hrist

Hrist Senior Member

The first screenshot is hard to tell. :V

The second screenshot says - Kore ga, ore no persona > This is my persona...(roughly)

Kek.

13. vayanui8

vayanui8 Senior Member

If I were to guess its probably related to budget and scheduling issues. They're still relatively new when it comes to translating the games themselves, so they likely aren't good at determining how long it will take and how much things will cost. Hopefully they improve in the future because I still have hopes for them.

14. DDD-kun

DDD-kun Senior Member

Given evidence that Aksys has previously admitted to contracting B-string 3rd parties to do projects in a pinch, I'd vote this as the most likely answer.

15. Neppers

Neppers Member

Found this on /v/. If you want a laugh, find the article on their site announcing the censorship and watch the owner losing his shit in the comments section, trying to defend Bamco.
    [​IMG]

16. Heavily Augmented

Okay, so @Domhnall already brought this up, but this isn't entirely accurate. They said they wouldn't censor or redesign Velvet's outfit, not the rest of the game would apply though. I'm not defending the censorship, but I just wanted to clarify that (and Dualshockers are idiots if they are trying to defend the decision).

17. DDD-kun

DDD-kun Senior Member

I know the RPG site twitter person was defending it. Doing so hardcore, at that.

Also, is it just me or does the Dualshockers site have lousy coding? Most times I can't read the full article unless it's an archive link.

18. MonsterGirlFanBoy

MonsterGirlFanBoy Senior Member

I think "RPGFan" might be a good site for news on JRPGs games.

19. DDD-kun

DDD-kun Senior Member

20. TiamatNM

TiamatNM Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016