Tales of Berseria being Censored in West?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by TomatoDragon, Dec 8, 2016.

1. TomatoDragon

TomatoDragon Established Recruit

2. Battlechili

Battlechili Senior Member

Fuck Bandai Namco. They're even on record for saying they wouldn't change it when brought to the West.

3. Heavily Augmented

Heavily Augmented Senior Member

To back up Battlechili's claims:

[​IMG]

This is just weird though. If this is true, out of all the things, this gets censored?

4. burgerunit

burgerunit Coca-Cola Reward Points Member

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  5. Heavily Augmented

6. burgerunit

burgerunit Coca-Cola Reward Points Member

I'm posting this from my Lamborghini. Who's the loser now you old gook!?

:rolleyes:

(Thanks tho lol)

7. Heavily Augmented

Well I'm not that old. Also

[​IMG]

Nice rent m8

Trying not to derail the thread too much, Censored Gaming made a video showing the two versions.

8. TomatoDragon

TomatoDragon Established Recruit

Thanks. Gonna watch it now.

Edit:
    I just don't get it. No blood. Sequence was done in silhouette. This needed to be toned down?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  9. Musou Tensei

Musou Tensei Senior Member

And there goes my pre-order. I really want to play it though so I will be on the lookout for a used copy from a private seller ASAP.

10. Lex

Lex Senior Member

I don't understand. Americans like violence. It's titties they have a problem with.

11. Heavily Augmented

I don't have a problem with either honestly. Though isn't this not the first time Bamco censored violence in some way? I think those God Eater HD remasters lowered the amount of blood for some reason. Either that or they think that stabbing a girl with a sword is "2deepforgaijin".

12. Lex

Lex Senior Member

True enough. Maybe it's a version of the "let's cut for a 12A" phenomenon?

13. Domhnall

Domhnall Senior Member

Well, technically, going by that screenshot, all he said was that he knows westerners LIKE to have the same content, and that he would PREFER to bring over the same content. However, the only content that he specifically promised would not be touched was Velvet's costume. That leaves the door open for many other changes.

I'm not defending it and it's a shitty change, but all he promised was that one, singular costume would not be censored.

14. Heavily Augmented

You're technically not wrong at all, and it was something that I thought about myself for a minute, but on the other hand considering that the usual censorship of Western localization consists of more sexual content and less of violence, I was just assuming that if Velvet's costume wouldn't be censored, therefore nothing else probably would be. Though I guess that devolves into personal interpretation so I have only myself to blame to think that there was no chance it would be censored in the first place.

15. vayanui8

vayanui8 Senior Member

Their twitter account is being harassed by dubfags after they said they preferred the japanese audio and were using it in the trailers. the dubfags then cried about how some people dont want to hear the subs and want the dub. Fucking hypocrites. I'm pissed at bamco but theres still a part of me that wants to defend their stance on jp audio.

16. Heavily Augmented

Maybe this is from one of the Bamco accounts, but the Tales of account is talking about the censorship changes more than anything which I think is good. Though I mean dubfags will be dubfags, what else is new?

17. Narmy

Narmy Senior Member

I hope you guys are learning Japanese.

18. Kemonomimi4Lyfe

Kemonomimi4Lyfe Recruit

Yeah, this and God Eater are definitely not their first rodeos. Anyone remember a certain scene in Xenosaga Ep. III where them (actually 8-4, IIRC) taking out blood ended up killing the mood and caused the scene to make no sense whatsoever? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Damn straight I am. I've temporarily dropped grammar in favor of drilling through Kyouiku kanji, and it's a slow but steady process.

As for this, I'm actually kind of impressed with the amount of effort they put in. Still doesn't change the fact that it was censored.

19. 3rdStrike_Ebi

3rdStrike_Ebi Senior Member

I think we can confirm at this point that it is a legitimate waste of money and resources to censor a game instead of leaving it as it is.

EDIT: The end of this is a pretty accurate reaction.

20. Narmy

Narmy Senior Member

I am still mad about that. I don't think I'm quite to the level where I can play Xenosaga in Japanese because of all the voice acting and technobabble, but that's definitely something I plan on replaying in its original uncensored form one day.