Spring Anime Discussion

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by DeepShitAboutWings, Apr 8, 2016.

1. DeepShitAboutWings

DeepShitAboutWings Well-Known Member

For anime this season that aren't popular enough for their own threads so it's easier to condense them.

Been holding off on watching anime besides a select few series for a while since I find the volume of anime/manga getting released each year to be daunting but I've decided to try to tackle it again.

Started with Sakamoto desu ga
    [​IMG]

Eh the animation is very stiff so it didn't quite make the source material as fabulous as I thought it would. The VA work and music don't add anything special to the series. I'll stick with the manga, I highly recommend the manga to anyone here who hasn't read it as nothing has come close to making me laugh this hard for a few years. For what it's worth it's faithful enough that they don't change the dialogue or scenes although I think the manga's art plays a part in the humor that the anime doesn't measure up to.

Hyped for kiznaiver this week. Other series I'm gonna sample from this season Boku no hero academia, Big Order, JoJo, Phoenix Wright, and maybe sinbad

What are you watching this season and what did you think of its latest episode.

2. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

I don't know anything about this series besides the preview poster having a brown chick with erect nipples on it. :D

3. DeepShitAboutWings

It's an adaption of another work by the mangaka who did mirai nikki. Haven't read the manga.

[​IMG]

https://u.pomf.is/lairvc.webm

Just got done watching kiznaiver and it's bit different from Kill la Kill or Gurren Lagann. They don't start off with an insane first episode throwing a ton of action at you which might have to do with Imaishi not being involved which I didn't look up until today.
    I'm not hooked yet but I'm intrigued by how they're going to play around with the sharing pain concept. There's not much to say about the characters besides being introduced as cliched archtypes(Sonazaki straight up points them out) which hopefully future eps will flesh out. If you expected Inferno Cop, Kill La Kill, or Ninja Slayer prepare to be disappointed but it's still worth a watch.

4. Rie

Rie Senior Member

I'm way behind of lots of the new shows so far, but I plan to watch quite a few.

So far the one that stands out the most is My Hero Academia. The animation is very nice at points and probably got more laughs out of me than the dialogue itself.

I also watched the first episode of Uchuu Patrol Luluco. It was cute I guess but it'll have to do a lot to win me over honestly. Obviously very cheaply made, but it's not a huge deal as long as the rest of it's good. I feel like it has potential, but I guess we'll see if it lives up to it at all.

Ace Attorney. Still only seen episode 1, plan to watch 2 later tonight, but it was pretty enjoyable, although there's a thread dedicated to it so I won't go into much detail here.

I have plenty of others that I've yet to watch like Kiznaiver, Mayoiga and Stray Dogs, but I haven't got around to them yet.

5. DeepShitAboutWings

MEMES

Digging the series so far. It isn't inferno cop cheap at least even if that series' appeal was its cheap animation. Think a mixture of KLK/Panty Stocking art style but ninja slayer animation style where they have cutouts for talking but animate the fights and actions scenes. I'm not eagerly anticipating the next episode but since it's so short I can digest it each week easy enough.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  6. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

[​IMG]

Please tell me one of you niggers is watching Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou.

7. Rie

Rie Senior Member

I am.

It's fucking weird but I love it because of the engrish and the art works better than I thought it would.

8. Blank Slate

Blank Slate Senior Member

I am too; not entirely sure what to make of it. The first episode was fun and I got a laugh out of the engrish ebonics.

I've picked up Ace Attorney, Kuma Miko, Uchuu Patrol, Anne Happy, Tonkatsu DJ and Netoge. Kuma Miko and Netoge are the best; Ace Attorney and Uchuu Patrol were less impressive.

9. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

So is this actually funny? I thought it was just one of those MMO shows. Please, sell me on it!!!

10. Blank Slate

Surprisingly, yes. There were a couple of times where I audibly laughed, which is better than most comedy anime out there.

Depends on what you mean. Half of the episode was spent in the MMO, the other half in the real world. The gaming segments actually felt like a game rather than the pseudo-fantasy that Japan loves so much, furthermore, I thought the MMO and real life segments complimented each other very well. It's pretty relatable if you've ever played in an online game community.

I think you were the guy that was requesting ecchi shows a few days ago? It looks like it's going to go down that route somewhat too.

11. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

Eeeexcellent. Unfortunately, all of the ecchi shows this season seem to have a fantasy theme...

12. DeepShitAboutWings

If anyone was following sailor moon crystal news and reactions then you're aware of how much flak the series got for its art and animation.

The new season airing right now actually looks good. Nearly everyone is happy or satisfied with this.

It's almost as if Toei listened to the feedback and decided to give sailor moon a budget. Fucking toei of all people gave a tv anime a budget.
    it truly boggles the mind.

Makes raping my eyes for 26 episodes worth it.

It's the super lesbo couple arc for anyone curious.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  13. Rie

Rie Senior Member

Now if only they'd do the same for Dragon Ball Super
    [​IMG]

For someone who's never seen more than whatever the Nostalgia Critic showed of it is Sailor Moon a show worth watching? From what I know Crystal is a retelling so it is just better to watch the new one or the is animation too shoddy?

14. DeepShitAboutWings

The new one is a lot more faithful to the manga than the classic anime series. It's mainly watched due to nostalgia so I don't think it would be all that enjoyable for you. It's also shoujo so that may be a turn off as well. If you really want to give this series a chance you should read the manga until act 26 and switch over to crystal III anime.

Feel free to try the anime if you want but all the complaints about the animation and art from the fandom is no exaggeration.

15. JeremiahSimpson

JeremiahSimpson Recruit

[​IMG]

16. Naoto

Naoto Member

Definitely watching jojo. Not sure on what else yet. Usually just wait to see what's good and then binge.

17. Nin

Nin Senior Member

Hero Academia is pretty good. Though I already like the manga a lot. I expect it to be one of those shows popular with the mainstream. A shame that it'll be only 13 episodes for now. It's not the worst place to end, but 26 episodes would let them stop at a better place.

I tried the 1st episode of Ace Attorney and thought it was decent. I'll wait for the second trial to be completed before watching more.

I'll wait on Jojo, not because I think it'll be terrible but because it's likely to be 52 episodes. It's easier for me to watch them all at once than to wait week by week. Or if they split the 52 episodes into two batches of 26 like with part 3, I'll wait for the first part to be done before marathoning it.

18. Rie

Rie Senior Member

Started watching a couple of other shows that I didn't pick up immediately.

Mayoiga was pretty meh IMO. Too many characters and each of them is pretty much a single cliche archetype, but not in the way that Kiznaiver did it (which I'm really interested to see where it goes). I also had an issue with the fact that they let the bus driver continue driving after the shit he did. For people who are apparently extremely smart to figure some puzzle out that's sure a terrible decision on their part. I see myself dropping this one if Ep 2 isn't better.

Joker Game was alright. It seems like it could be interesting, but either I watched it when I was tired or it was just fucking boring at points. It was fairly slow paced compared to what I'm used to, they spent a lot of time on just one scene. If it doesn't hold my attention in the next episode or two I'll probably drop it.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress was a surprise for me. I kind of just watched it without really knowing much about it, but it could be one to watch as it had a solid first episode and gave me Attack on Titan vibes at points, which despite what people say, is a series I bloody love.

Bungou Stray Dogs, another alright start, but I'm not sold on it yet. I thought episode 1 was somewhat dull and I'm not a fan of the MC's design, and I'm not even sure what the setting is supposed to be either.

Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge. I don't even know why I started watching this and during the OP I had to google because I thought I might have accidentally stumbled into Yaoi territory, which ain't my side of the coin. Despite that though, pretty dull overall but I found the light colours quite nice, but not really a reason to keep watching. I'll give it an episode or maybe two to change my mind before dropping it.

19. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

This week's episode of Tonkatsu DJ was incredible. This show's got great visuals, too.
    [​IMG]

The record shop they went into was called "Piggers". ;)

20. Blank Slate

Anyone watch the latest Luluco episode?
    [​IMG]