sonic in japanese

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Minuteworld_92, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Minuteworld_92

Minuteworld_92 Senior Member

so apparently, sonic is marketed very VERY differently in japan and the scripts and voice acting is better and the series isn't cringeshit over there.

I'm actually fucking mad. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have stopped liking sonic as much as I do now if we got the original scripts and voice acting over here. he might've still been a laughing stock but not as much as a laughing stock as he is now.

these original scripts were better, more professional and likable as for the same with the voice acting.

sonic's had 3 different voice actors and the cast has gotten numerous voice actors over the years in the west but in glorious nipland, the original va's from sonic adventure ARE STILL VOICING THE CHARACTERS (rip the voice for eggman, god bless his soul. funnily enough, he died after boom) so that retarded va war over which one was better between Griffith and the others? you never had that shit in japan.

I am so fucking pissed off at sega. THEY COULD'VE prevented alot of the sonic hate IF THEY JUST FUCKING KEPT THE ORIGINAL SCRIPTS AND GAVE DUAL AUDIO. sure, the game still would've been mediocre but again, if sega actually gave a shit, they could've atleast bugfixed the games more thoroughly (like in japan, WHICH THEY DO. they got rid of some bugs in the jap version of 06 on top of a better script and va's)

like I've been listening to these va's and reading the scripts and the tone is fucking MILES better than the cringeshit re-written dialogue in the us like give me a fucking break.

let's not forget that sega is DEPENDING on sonic and this is how they're treating him. jesus christ...

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG the MOVIE {JPN Ver.} Act 1 (1/3) v2

OH I just realized something, because the script and tone and overall writing is better, maybe the continuity isn't as fucked up like in the west... *SIGH*

2. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

A lot of Sonic characters just work better in Japanese. Shadow and Rouge are established archetypes that don't translate very well, and it doesn't help that the scripts are so sloppily localized that they render the stories plot-hole-ridden messes.

3. Minuteworld_92

seriously, I was a member of sega's official forums for awhile when I was a sonicfag and if I KNEW how POORLY sonic was in the west and GREAT in japan, I would've asked the mods who worked there, WHY THE FUCK they were changing shit for the us....

4. Battlechili

Battlechili Senior Member

Most of the 3D Sonic games do have dual audio though

5. Minuteworld_92

they change the script though.

6. Narmy

Narmy Senior Member

Characters like Shadow will be cringeworthy no matter what. And the main problem with modern Sonic isn't the cringe as much as it is the terrible gameplay.

7. Minuteworld_92

nah gameplay's fine.

8. Minuteworld_92

9. Minuteworld_92

10. Minuteworld_92

blaze is great in japanese

11. Minuteworld_92

12. Minuteworld_92

final thing

if sega has a godly animation studio, why don't they use them!? (outside of games) THIS IS PIXAR QUALITY.

as far as I know, this is the only short film from their animation studio that I know. this isn't necessarily just about sonic, this is me asking why modern sega is ran by retards.

13. MonsterGirlFanBoy

MonsterGirlFanBoy Senior Member

Blaze is HOT!

14. hina

hina Senior Member

Obviously the game sounds better in Japanese, it's made in Japan with the director being able to pick from a wide pool of talented voice actors, so they could always get the one that sounds perfect for the role unlike the western version where you are stuck with some b-list hack that couldn't make it into a big budget cartoon and had to settle for some anime game.

Sadly it doesn't make the dialogue any less corny, it sounds like something out of a stupid shounen manga which is okay if your audience is kids but the older gamers tend to find it stupid.

Honestly I'm not a fan of Sonic because the fandom is shit and the games from what I've seen range from decent to mediocre but after hearing the Japanese voices I do sort of want to play the games.

15. DuckSquared

DuckSquared Senior Member

Well, you could use your favourite search engine and oh look

16. TheManWithPants

TheManWithPants Senior Member

Yep. They changed a lot of shit in the scripts for the Sonic games and the problem all stems from how they localized and marketed the original Genesis/Mega Drive games in the west.

In Japan, Sonic was a cartoony shounen anime Super hero with a strong sense of Justice that loved Adventure and aimlessly wonders the Earth (no, not "Mobius", you faggots, that was never a thing in Japan) and endlessly battles the evil mad scientist Dr. Eggman (not "Dr. Robotnik", that wasn't a thing in Japan until a retcon in Sonic Adventure 2 with Eggman's 'real name' suddenly becoming Robotnik), who wants to take over the world to create his utopia "Eggmanland".

Meanwhile, the west got edgy 90's alternative to Mario that was the totally radical blue dude with attitude that saves Mobius from the evil Dr. Robotnik because they thought American children can't understand Japanese concepts and ideas.

Then SEGA just let them market the series any which way in the west, and then suddenly we had 6 versions of the same character in the 90s alone (Japanese game Sonic, American game Sonic, Archie Sonic, Fleetway Sonic, AoStH Sonic, SatAM Sonic, and Underground Sonic), and then they made more changes going forward, combined with different gameplay in each entry creates a very divided Sonic Fanbase.

17. TheManWithPants

I should also mention that another divide in the fanbase comes from the differences between what Western and Japanese gamers want in video games; the west is more interested in gameplay, while the Japanese are more interested in characters and story. The west tends to want less stories in Sonic games, and more emphasis on the gameplay, while Japanese fans want more emphasis on characters and stories in the games. The first Sonic Adventure game, for example, tried to make Sonic appeal more to Japanese gamers, by having some more 'RPG-like' elements with a more story focus and hub worlds, etc. because they were kinda desperate to get the Japanese to like Sonic back then, hence the whole "Project Sonic" initiative in the mid to late 90s.

Sonic 06's reception is also a good example of this: The West hates it for obvious reasons (it's a broken, buggy mess with a convoluted story that involves Sonic having a human love interest), but Japan on the other hand actually seems to have liked it quite a bit, and they weren't too concerned with how buggy it was.

It wasn't panned as much over there like it was here, but because Sonic is far more popular in the west, Sonic Team is now listening more to the western Sonic fans. Also, western Sonic fans are to blame for ShadOW the hEDGEhog, because they told SEGA that they wanted Sonic to have a gun back then. Not even kidding. This is also why we have memes and meta shit in the main games now.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  18. Domhnall

Domhnall Senior Member

...ehhh, how much story/characterization was there to actually change in the first few Sonic games, other than names? There were no text-heavy cutscenes, and even the printed story in the manual was pretty sparse from what I remember. I'm not really sure how you'd differentiate from shounen action hero and radical cool speedster based on what you see in Sonic 1-3.

19. TheManWithPants

The manuals, actually heavily altered the story and setting of the games. The games themselves weren't really messed with. The cartoons and comics back then also heavily emphasized some of those elements that were only in the American versions of the manuals. The Japanese manuals were actually very text heavy with the stories, spanning multiple pages, whereas the American manuals just slimmed things down, changed the context of situations and whatnot.

A good example of this is how Sonic met Tails in Sonic 2's manual. In the west, Sonic saves Tails from bullies and they instantly become best friends, while in Japanese, Tails basically was just a socially awkward kid with no friends that saw Sonic running around and being flashy, and began stalking Sonic- following him around, trying to imitate him, with Sonic just kinda being apathetic to his existence until he realized the kid could keep up with him, could copy his spin attack moves, and was good with maintaining and piloting planes. Then he decided to let him tag along, and the two grew to become close friends.

Sonic CD had basically a big text heavy explanation of the backstory, detailing the lore involving the Little Planet and whatnot, and explaining how Amy followed Sonic and got kidnapped by Metal Sonic. The English version again, just slims things down and changes Amy's name to "Princess Sally" to try and tie the game into the SatAM cartoon and the Archie Comics.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  20. Minuteworld_92

I meant not babby shit.