Shilling Myself: Mercenaries Deckbuilding RPG Game - Print & Play Demo and Kickstarter

Discussion in 'Creative Discussion' started by ChaoGuy2006, Jun 4, 2016.

1. ChaoGuy2006

ChaoGuy2006 Established Recruit

(I post on the forums occasionally, so I have not just signed up to advertise. If this thread is not acceptable, I am happy to comply with mods).

I have finished creating a game called Mercenaries.

It is a Deck-Building Game that includes table-top elements and strategic movement.

I have a print & play demo available here:

Mercenaries – Deck Building Game

I am shilling for my own Kickstarter: Mercenaries - Tactical Deck Building RPG which I hope will cover the printing costs (or at least put a more manageable dent in them).

If you have any questions, please let me know.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kro

Kro The King of Lolis

3. ChaoGuy2006

That seems more geared towards discussion of all digital games that are in-development and some personal digital game projects.

If physical games + personal projects are allowed to be discussed on that subforum, I am more than happy for Niche Mods to move my thread there (or delete and re-make this thread with mod approval).

4. DeepShitAboutWings

DeepShitAboutWings Senior Member

bud I think you're reaching too high with the kickstarter at 40k. Have you even advertised this game anywhere else? The art is kind of amateurish so it's not gonna catch many people's eye.

5. ChaoGuy2006

All the artwork has been commissioned and finished.
    My options were limited due to funds.
    I didn't want to go for a hyper-detailed style like MTG does nowadays since it's wasted when shrunk down.
    I will be expanding my artist roster as time goes on, and as I commission the artists for more work they can only improve.

After speaking with the printer, the best cost per box was the amount on the KS (More copies printed at once = each game is cheaper to print. Bulk vs. smaller quantities), otherwise the game would not make enough profit for me to live off.

I am advertising as much as possible, but any other communities that are relevant to this game would be great to know.
    I've already posted on BoardGameGeek.

6. DeepShitAboutWings

DeepShitAboutWings Senior Member

There's /tg/ but you're probably gonna get banned for advertising or just laughed at or mocked by the fa/tg/uys. Reddit boardgames and other subreddits wouldn't hurt. They'll be a bigger help with showing you to various websites that cover /tg/ games or other similar communities.Go there and ask for advice. Hell try asking professionals about this(or whatever few you know of on twitter and forums), they might be kind enough to lend a ear to a amateur.

I just gave a quick glance over your stuff and there's nothing there that stood out. This is a niche genre that has plenty of competition vying for the customers' attention. Wouldn't hurt to have a video of this in action assuming you have any physical material right now if you're going to market this or at least show how this is special.

You were too hasty with this kickstarter man. Frankly you should cancel the KS and try to plan this more thoroughly after getting feedback and advice.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  7. ryona

ryona Recruit

so it's entirely for the print?
    40 000 americano dollaros for printing?

8. ChaoGuy2006

It sounds large yes, but I'm aiming for a larger print run, making each copy of the game cheaper (like buying in bulk).

9. ChaoGuy2006

We have managed to re-negotiate with our printer, not only reducing the games RRP, but also the printing cost.
    As such we are re-launching the Kickstarter with a more accurate goal.
    Stay tuned for more updates.

10. thelastgogeta

thelastgogeta Well-Known Member

Cool. I'm not much of a fan of tabletop, but hope your next campaign goes better as a fellow Brit.

Ditto what DeepShitAboutWings said about it being necessary that you look into putting up a video, it doesn't need to be the best produced work in the world, ut can be a chance to explain some elements, show some soul and explain some details you revealed in this thread without needing them to scroll down or read a PDF/blog to find out. Same with the advice you should be borrowing from others who have gone through Kickstarter that you know.

A rebalanced goal won't be enough if people aren't sold on the game, artwork or project. For that connections are probably necessary.

11. ChaoGuy2006

12. ChaoGuy2006

Sorry for the double post, but despite the Kickstarter, we have found a source of revenue and will be ordering from the printer later this week.

More info here: Hello Imgur (Apologies for the title of the post, I got lucky and took an opportunity)

13. thelastgogeta

thelastgogeta Well-Known Member

Sorry for the late response, I intended to provide feedback on how the Kickstarter improved or should improve but if you secured a source of revenue for the project. That's great. I've seen plenty of board games blow up on Kickstarter and never saw the appeal for myself (I've funded games which have demos and comics which have samples - getting into this is a bit different for me), but surely the people who didn't notice it last month or so can find it and easily buy it when they want.

You may as well leave those crowdfunding attempts behind and focus on conventional funding for now (especially since the second project failed 5 hours ago). Word of mouth needs to build first.

14. ChaoGuy2006