Shadows of Adam - an authentic looking 16-bit JRPG

Discussion in 'Game Development' started by Nagato, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Nagato

Nagato Member

[​IMG]

Just came across this project the other day, loving how it actually nails the 16-bit look instead of using the usual generic indie "retro" pixel art. It uses the Chrono Trigger system of on-screen monsters (and the occassional ambush) to initiate battles, rather than random encounters. They're currently about a fifth towards their goal of 20,000 USD, and are also looking into bringing the game to handhelds and consoles, so expect those to be added as stretch goals down the line.

Kickstarter

Online demo

Steam Greenlight

Some more screenshots and gifs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  2. gezegond

gezegond Recruit

Seems interesting. Looking forward to (potential) release.

3. Dendro Batidae

Dendro Batidae Quite the Cynic

Interesting...

Is good to see people actually putting effort into the pixel art.

4. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

They really nailed the Mega Drive palette, whether intentional or not.

I have little tolerance for standard fantasy RPGs, though.

5. cerebro podrido

cerebro podrido Senior Member

love when people put actual effort in their pixel art

6. Something Classic

Something Classic Recruit

Hi everyone! Thanks for checking the thread out. We hired some of the best in the business to get the quality pixel art we have. I hope you guys have time to check out the kickstarter/demo.

Take care!

7. Geb

Geb Señor Member

It does indeed look neat, the art particularly.

Your game looks good, but y'all need to increase the exposure for your KS campaign to help it along. Making a thread on Reddit about SoA on one of the big gaming subreddits would be the most effective promotion you could do, but their rules on self-promotion can be strict. A different online community you could appeal to is Imgur, since their userbase and that of Reddit's overlap quite a bit. Just make a gallery of images from the game, extol some of its virtues, and watch the upvotes pour in, with luck.

8. Something Classic

We actually have had quite a few folks post for us on reddit, which helped a lot. TBH I'm not a redditor and so I don't really know the rules of the road. I hadn't considered the Imgur angle though. Thanks for that tip.

9. DigiGuineaPig

DigiGuineaPig Senior Member

My wife knows the creators of this game. They went to high school together or something. Apparently they had made small RPGs for a long time ever since they were young. Small world that a forum post about them popped up on this site! Lol

10. Something Classic

Hey if you don't mind sharing (PM is fine) who your wife is? Email: info (at) somethingclassic.net
    Would be nice to reconnect!

11. DigiGuineaPig

DigiGuineaPig Senior Member

Sure I'll PM it to you!

12. Geb

Geb Señor Member

Huh, small world indeed.

13. Something Classic

14. Meinos Kaen

Meinos Kaen Well-Known Member

Okay, played the demo.

I love the colour pallette and graphics. It's not easy to find someone so committed to pixelated work. The animations are great, it gives a good Final Fantasy V/Chrono Trigger mixed feeling...

The battle system is also intriguing, based on self regenerating AP instead of MP... I think it's missing a Wait or Defend command to be complete, though.

The music and dialogues are hit and miss. The tune in the Tangle was kinda grating. And the conversation between characters felt a bit... Off. I don't know, it's like they didn't exactly feel genuine. They did feel like old school JRPGs, but even those didn't have exactly the best of dialogues at times. lol

15. Something Classic

Thanks for playing it. We've been debating a defend/wait command for a while. Almost sure we'll integrate it.

16. Nonscpo

Nonscpo Member

Well I did my part an upvoted it on Steam Greenlight, wish you all best of luck on this endeavor.

P.S. Is $40,000 enough for a Wii U, PSVITA, and a PS4 port? Seems kinda low!

17. Nagato

Nagato Member

Damn shame to see this game likely not meeting its goal; I hope a second crowdfunding campaign will go a lot better with other platforms being included from the start, combined with some more aggressive campaigning.

18. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

$20k is a lot to ask for a bog-standard JRPG. Undertale asked for $5k.

19. Dendro Batidae

Dendro Batidae Quite the Cynic

Truly a shame.

Depending on it's lenght, I think it's a fair price.

20. Angelus

Angelus Senior Member