Review scores depending on day one DLC & patches

Discussion in 'Feedback and Issues' started by Zanthos, Nov 8, 2015.

Your thoughts on review scores reflecting day one patches/DLC

1. Yes, scores should reflect these patches and DLC

11.1%
  2. No, scores should not reflect day on patches/DLC

88.9%
  1. Zanthos

Zanthos Recruit

So I hope this is the right place for this, but I just watched a video on IGN that brought up a very interesting topic for me as a gamer. That being, should review scores reflect day one patches/DLC? I'll provide a argument for and against and I would like to know what the reviewers at Niche think.

For scores reflecting day one patches/DLC:
    I personally think they should as a way to hold the industry to a higher standard. The industry has come to accept that it's worth shipping a game early, albeit incomplete, while the team works on bug fixes and unfinished content. But let's face it, the game you get, at launch, should be what is reviewed. With all of the unfixed bugs and flaws and missing content included. That is, in essence what we pay for. And let's be honest, there are still people who don't have a solid connection that cannot get these day one patches and are left playing a copy of Skyrim that as they play more, the framerate grinds to a halt. DLC should also be reviewed in a "Should this have been in the final product?" sense. Extra skins? Should be in the final product. All in all, the final score should reflect this.

Against:
    Although I personally am biased in this opinion, there are also instances where the publisher is pushing for the game to be pushed out into the public and doesn't give the development team ample time to conduct intensive QA and fix bugs and broken components in the game. So between the game being sent out to be produced and release, the team has time to fix these up in patches and ready them for download as soon as the game hits for a more seamless experience. Although I'm completely against day one DLC, in some instances there are freebies that are available that just couldn't be finished in time. And to counter my for arguement, more people than ever have solid connections that can handle these patches and within minutes can enjoy a full experience. But should review scores include these? No, because all it takes is a few extra minutes and you get a better product for no extra charge.

I'm sorry if this is a mess. I just found it a interesting topic and I would love to hear from the reviewers and the community about their thoughts on this. I tried to keep it unbiased, but me personally am for scores reflecting these points. I believe that it can be used to send publishers a message that we want full, complete products at the time of purchase and it's a wonderful way to hold the industry as a whole to a higher standard.

Thanks for reading!

2. GrossMcloss

GrossMcloss Senior Member

For me its:
    Review the game as its released, no patches, no DLC.
    Review DLC separately
    Review special editions that contain patches and DLC

3. Zanthos

Zanthos Recruit

Well, I see your point, but then you're talking about three potential reviews for a single game. So take Destiny for example. Say, 7/10 at release, DLC's get 6/10, then the Taken King edition (full game + DLC's) gets 8/10? Are you talking in that regard?

4. Lex

Lex Senior Member

People without the internet are not going to get those patches or DLC. There're a lot of people out there who have bandwidth caps, and still more with limited or no internet access. It makes zero sense to include patches and DLC when reviewing a game at launch, as a large portion of the potential audience may not have the means to play that version of the game.

And we can't have more cases like Arkham City PC and Assassin's Creed Unity. It's simply unacceptable.

5. Angelus

Angelus Senior Member

I don't believe we should hold a grudge for devs missing a few bugs that they fix later on. It should be made clear that a game is shit without a patch as well. Gaming should be available to everyone, regardless of their broadband, or whether or not they're connected to spybot networks.

6. Zanthos

Zanthos Recruit

The way that I worded it may have been a little confusing. I meant yes they should include patches and DLC in the sense of "really? The larger your save file in Skyrim, the slower the framerate." They had to patch that when it clearly should have been done in the primary QA and should be counted against the score. Or in the case of Arkham City, it should have had points taken for having the day one patch because it should have counted as a unfinished game with how broken it was.

7. Zanthos

Zanthos Recruit

I'm not saying that the scores should only reflect positively, they can affect negatively as well. As to give the consumer to the most honest review of what they, in the store handing over the money, are buying. Not when it's in the console and the update is downloading score. People should know "Yes, there is a day one patch that fixes a game crashing bug that is noticeable an hour into the game and clearly should have been fixed in QA," therefore, take a point off. That's what I'm for.

8. DuckSquared

DuckSquared Senior Member

Fuck review scores.

Reviews should take into account what you get when you have the minimum required (console + standard controller + game, no internet connection) and also what can be added with extras (including patches and DLC).

Make the reader aware of everything and let them make their own decisions.

9. Angelus

Angelus Senior Member

I got sick of review score eons ago. Sometimes I'll still check metacritic, but the industry doesn't understand how to review niche games, so it ends up being that I'm skeptical of games with scores between 0-50, and 80-100, with 51-79 being positive scores. Too convoluted for me. My current system of assuming I'll like any game made in Japan has had a much better success rate so far.

10. Mea_K

Mea_K Senior Member

Ain't that the truth. I've seen professional reviews of JRPGs that concluded with "if you can stomach the anime aesthetic there's a hidden gem buried underneath, 7/10" because having a certain art style is an objective negative somehow. Reviewers that credit feed their way through a shmup on easy in 30 minutes like shameless scrubs and then complain the game is short. RPGFan's fucking Fortune Summoners review that whines endlessly about how annoying cute girls supposedly are. Reviewers that think Ys Origin is anything but a solid 10/10. The list goes on...

11. KCPhoenix

KCPhoenix Senior Member

Thankfully we're in an age where we can just go to Youtube and watch gameplay of any game we're interested in. I've played enough games at this point that I generally know whether I'll enjoy a game or not by watching a gameplay video.

There is some valuable info to be learned from a review, but I'm generally not interested in the reviewer's subjective opinion on games. Just let me know about bugs, how much content there is, framerate, etc.

12. Brandon

Brandon Big Papa Overlord Staff Member

Huh, I thought I responded to this.

So, we're going to directly address review scores with our redesign. I don't want to say much more than that, but we want to just make sense of things and have the most reasonable approach to critiquing games, and in the most fair manner we can think of.

Plus it'll make reviewing games more fun, and less "let's try figuring out a number for this game", if you know what I mean.

13. Angelus

Angelus Senior Member

Numbers are bs anyway. I just wanna know if I'll like it, couldn't care less whether or not an amateur critic likes it.
    Looking forward to seeing the changes.