PSA: Summon Night 5 will have no voice acting at all outside of battle

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Cerzel, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Cerzel

Cerzel Recruit

2. isaacbeans

isaacbeans Is totally sexy.

I do not know how to feel about this.

It is not any censorship... Just not being able to afford it. Maybe after a good amount of purchases, they can patch them in? Its not that bad... there better be fucking music. GOOD FUCKING MUSIC

3. Doctor Rosswell. W

Doctor Rosswell. W Recruit

Hmm, looks as though they were given lemon and was told to make lemonade.

Looks as though they're trying to give it their all and make some things enticing like a new save system.

4. isaacbeans

I agree, I can not fault them too much. If they give it their best, we as gamers can not hate them too much. As OP said though, I guess they didnt tell people this until as late as possible. So That is a strike there. I do not know of this publisher much so their reputation is not known to me.

5. TiamatNM

TiamatNM Senior Member

This reminds me of Growlanser Wayfarer of Time where Atlus coudn't afford voices. The difference is that Atlus announced this immediately, but it seems in this case Gaijinworks kept quiet about it till release.

6. isaacbeans

:( This fact does sadden me

7. TiamatNM

TiamatNM Senior Member

Gaijinworks just seems kind of ghetto honestly lol. I'm still interested in the game I'll probably pick it up later.

8. Doctor Rosswell. W

Doctor Rosswell. W Recruit

Nah Ghetto would be announcing it, this just seems like they were embarrassed by it.

9. Cerzel

Cerzel Recruit

Doubtful. There are some quotes in the comments there but Ireland has said that the license would cost more than the game would make, which is why there are no voices, and if people want voices they should support this anyway and games in the future can get voices.

This is what I think is the big issue. The only mention they made of it at all was that the gameplay video they shared didn't have voices, and a few posts in their forums. There were no press releases made or any attempts to share that it wouldn't have voices, so you had to dig deep to find the info. If they'd just made it widely known from the start there'd hardly be a problem.

As for their reputation, it's mixed. Victor Ireland is the head of Gaijinworks and used to head up Working Designs. Between them he's appreciated for localising niche games over the years, but the translation quality was never great, and that doesn't seem set to change. Some caps from what I believe is Class of Heroes 2, their most recent release:
    Dizzy [email protected] 15~26 on Twitter

10. Kamille

Kamille Recruit

"Finished playing God?" is pretty funny. Most of the old Working Design games were localized just fine; it was the trivial things they got goofy with that tend make the hellbent on 100% accurate translations crowd get their panties in a bunch.

I'll take silly jokes like those over whatever the fuck that Xe shit was in things like Gunvolt or worse, Final Fantasy Type-0 (because moogles already didn't use fantasy pronouns when talking about themselves).

11. Scorpion404

Scorpion404 Recruit

No voices doesn't bug me at all. I just hope the story, gameplay and music is good and I should be satisfied.

12. hina

hina Senior Member

I'll just wait for the inevitable patch that will put everything back otherwise I refuse to purchase 95% of a game.

13. 2dgirlfan

2dgirlfan Member

Note that they did mention this back when they were gaguing interest (the how many copies thing, not the actual orders) that if they'd need x units for VA. This isn't entirely out of the blue if you followed the release.

Actually given this is a Summon Night game it's actually less than that. Full voice acting was one of their big things (at least back in the PS1 days)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  14. isaacbeans

Okay so they did say that they needed a certain amount of purchases to get a voice actor. Well I still think voice acting is a huge part of these types of games though. This is is a very tricky situation in regards to, purchase it and support the developer in hopes that they make money and improve their practice or stick to your guns.

I do not know of many publishers that even still do these type of games anymore..

15. Minohoro

Minohoro Recruit

I'm not getting this but I can understand people getting annoyed at this. What I don't like is that they're removing ALL of the story dialogue, so that means that almost all emotional moments could get hit hard without a lack of voice acting.

GaijinWorks better not try and pull this a second time around. A partial dub and a full Japanese dub ain't all that great. No dub and only Japanese is pretty bad. No Dub and a partial sub? that's just sad.

16. Meinos Kaen

Meinos Kaen Well-Known Member

Well, considering the quality of English dubs, that wouldn't have been such a big problem for me. No Japanese voices? Me sad but, hey. Videogames were awesome without voices for a long time.

In other news, why can't I find the game on the PS Store yet?! The page is there but doesn't show anything.

17. Largo

Largo Senior Member

The English dubs of Persona have been quite good though, even better than some Japanese voices.

But I can play this with or without voices, just like the first two persona games.

18. Meinos Kaen

Meinos Kaen Well-Known Member

... I think we played two different games.

Also, even if that was true, the general level of english dubbing -without even getting into translations- is abysmal.

19. Largo

Largo Senior Member

Have we? I'm referring to Persona 3 FES/Portable and Persona 4/Golden, both of which had great dubs.

In the old days sure, nowadays Dubs are much better, of course you'll still get one's that have a terrible dub or a Voice Actor who doesn't quite fit the character.

20. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

What the fuck? Were they just not given the full game to translate? Why wouldn't they have the source files?