>Post yfw you're not Anthony Burch

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Retrohunter, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Retrohunter

Retrohunter Senior Member

2. Battlechili

Battlechili Senior Member

I don't know who Anthony Burch is or why I should care about him and have thus never understood this meme.

3. Raziel Barkrai

Raziel Barkrai Senior Member

4. Lex

Lex Senior Member

Anthony Burch was a writer at Destructoid and later at Gearbox. He buys big into having token characters as a way of bringing about his social justice utopia, so basically adds a Tumblrism to every character he creates. Most of the dialogue these characters have consist of old Reddit memes. Borderlands 2 and the Pre-Sequel were considerably worse for his involvement. Not a popular guy as a result.

The "at least I'm not Anthony Burch" stuff came out when he agreed with his wife that they should open up their relationship. Dude never got laid following this - he was whining about not getting any all over social media - and ended up being divorced by his wife (who was, of course, getting fucked plenty). She took his WiiU as well as his dignity in the divorce. Big Twitter meltdowns all around.

5. GrossMcloss

GrossMcloss Senior Member

>tfw you get cucked and your wife takes your WiiU
    [​IMG]

I swear everytime I read that she took the WiiU it cracks me up, such a dumb detail.

6. Lex

Lex Senior Member

Burch is big into over-sharing, I think. Of both his wife and the intimate details of his personal life.

7. Ice Apollo

Ice Apollo Anime is HARAM

8. Narmy

Narmy Senior Member

>mfw i'm not jake rapp either
    [​IMG]

9. DDD-kun

DDD-kun Senior Member

Guess that's my cue. /puts on the Peabody hat

Anthony Burch as has been told was a journalist writer/content creator whose done some stints at Destructoid with journalism, and also with his sister on Youtube via a series called "Hey Ash whatcha playin". Some mild success with both, but moreso connections. Anthony was hired on at Gearbox for writing purposes, specifically on the Borderlands 2 project.

This is the big call to stink. The dialogue, story, and characterization throughout BL2 ranges from mediocre to outright bad, save a few examples (most infamously quoted being the Buttstallion take—a recording session from the VA to the game's villian, Handsome Jack, essentially throwing the script to the side for one segment and ad-libbing, resulting in Jack's most beloved lines, which Anthony has gone on record in stating he hates and also loathes the moment Jack's VA did that). In addition to the mild to outright bland humor is the genuinely abominable girth of popculture references and memes found not just in script lines, but peppering the various game menus, setting/background art, almost ALL of the flavor text for the weapons, and almost every single achievement both in-game and through Xbox/Playstation/Steam's trophy system.

The story is also a mess that steps on the work of the previous Borderlands, and fails to set up any of the characters as sympathetic—a target Burch was trying to reach for. Despite that, BL2 met with some success and Burch soaked in the fifteen minutes of limelight...and then went and displayed terrible life/person choices on top of that.

Brown-nosing cuck is not an unfair descriptor for him. From kowtowing to Anita Sarkeesian repeatedly over social media (even tweeting some silly framed printout of one of her tweets), to making youtube videos chastising people (gamers, essentially) for finding value in anything he didn't like or deemed "sexist", to openly & frequently attempting to roast others for their misogyny in the same sense a born-again christian would come up and randomly slam you for not worshiping in God 24 hours a day.

Yes, same exact vein. Anthony's a spineless opportunist that hates not getting attention, even if the attention's negative. This all culminated in GamerGate 2014 (the non-stopgg2014 variety). Anthony spent a large amount of time aggitating GG and even his own BL fandom the majority of that year. At the same time, willingly let out that his marital life was in the dumps. Highlights aside of what was mentioned is also attempting to come off as "bisexual" during this open period of his when really he just payed some bloke for the evening to rail his ass like a pewboy in a catholic church apparently for the express puroposes of tweeting about the entire experience for street cred. His wedding ceremony was the stuff of redneck nightmares (minus the lawn gnomes & flamingoes). Oh, and he tried to weaponize pedophilia in the middle of an argument with an eceleb at GG. Not a smart move.

Then shit went south. Lost his wife (not that he had her), lost his WiiU, lost his place to my understanding (had to crash at his sister Ashleys and tweeted about being annoyed at her having loud sex). Lost his writing position at Gearbox. Lost the respect of most of the Borderlands fandom (especially when TellTale essentially did far better than he did at his own characters). I forget what he's doing now.

More importantly, I don't care. I'm not him. That's a blessing.

10. Battlechili

Battlechili Senior Member

Thanks for the explanation.
    In that case:
    [​IMG]

11. Heavily Augmented

Heavily Augmented Senior Member

12. Pooh Hardy

Pooh Hardy Member

I partially discovered his cuckness when i was still watching haw....I mean....A friend told me, yeaaaah
    The fact that he had to edit and upload his webseries episodes each involving his wife in them, all while his fans poked fun at him was killer

Quick hypothetical question, his sister. Is she as bad? I hear nothing on her doing anything

Oh right i forgot the realization part
    [​IMG]

13. Raziel Barkrai

Raziel Barkrai Senior Member

She basically got her foot in the door for voice acting because of her brother. Worst thing she has done that I remember is speaking out about violence against women and sexism in video games a few times. Overall she's slightly less of a failure but that ain't saying much.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  14. Ice Apollo

Ice Apollo Anime is HARAM

she is incredibly bland and has little range with the exception of tiny tina

15. Syndromic

Syndromic Well-Known Member

I started to dislike her when she was blindly believing that Gamergate was a misogynist campaign plotting to drive away women from games. It is very ironic when she got her name famous because of the gamer geeks in the first place, same with Felicia Day. I guess basically I can't stand any ungrateful people who are willing to throw the gamers under the bus because of social justice. Even more ironic, if anything, Zoe Quinn seems to be driving more women away with more clout because the geek industry is filled with thirsty cucks but ignore that shit. Don't want anything to disrupt the narrative.

16. Neppers

Neppers Member

17. Largo

Largo Senior Member

Yet she keeps getting offers for other roles.

18. DDD-kun

DDD-kun Senior Member

tiny tina was just her normal voice, no effort required. Likewise, her role on Life Is Strange was just as effortless. Neither role was all that endearing.

19. hina

hina Senior Member

Nepotism really goes a long way.

20. Ahriman Gonzo

Ahriman Gonzo Senior Member