One Thousand Lies [Visual novel]

Discussion in 'Game Development' started by Keinart, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Keinart

Keinart Member

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  2. Keinart

Keinart Member

Hello and thank you for checking out the thread for my first visual novel: One Thousand Lies. Let me repeat myself here just in case any of you can't see the images of the first post.

One Thousand Lies is a romantic comedy set in a imaginary european town with bits of psychology and philosophy inbetween that won't leave anyone indifferent, and if you can see the pictures above, yes all their characters are pretty lively, so I think you all will have a good time with it. It's about 5 to 10 hours long, kinetic and free, so don't be afraid to check it out!

The download is from Itch.io, just click in the image or visit this link.

In a few days I will have an android version ready too, and the novel is in both english and spanish. Hope you guys like it and let me know if you enjoyed it. Thank you.

Credits:
    Writer, programmer, designer, director, translator and guy who suffers from all the stress: Keinart Lobre
    Artist: Bonkiru
    GUI and other elements: Melelisun (Luna Chai Li)
    English adaptation and localization: Gamerbum

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  3. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

I just wanted to say I really like the look of this and will gladly buy it when it comes out. I have already picked out a waifu.

ALSO kudos for not doing a crowdfunding campaign like every other schmuck :)

4. Keinart

Keinart Member

Thank you, I'm glad to hear people like the style. Luckily for you, the novel will be free for everyone, I'll just put a "pay what you want" link in case someone feel generous, but since it's my first project I don't consider it fair to create a kickstarter neither make people pay for it (even though it has cost me a lot of time and money to pull this off).

Now, may I ask what lady find you fancy? Just for feedback reasons :^)

5. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

Luce. I want her to verbally berate me.

6. Nonscpo

Nonscpo Member

Oh wow a Visual Novel in Spanish, that's a rarity!

P.S. Out of curiosity where is your team based off? Or are you working on this project independently?

7. Keinart

Keinart Member

Independently, I made mostly everything alone, then comissioned the artist and GUI since I'm pretty bad when it comes to art. Made the translation to english by myself (I'm spanish you see), then got help from a native american girl to fix and adapt it.

I was like "I'll do a visual novel, it shouldn't be so hard". Of course, I was mistaken, but I'm happy with the result and to be finally able to release soon.

8. Largo

Largo Senior Member

This looks quite interesting, the artstyle does look very nice, did you do that all yourself?

I'd also like to claim Ziva for my waifu.

9. Keinart

Keinart Member

Oh no, the artist is Bonkiru, we have worked together from quite a few months get this result. I would write down the base of the design it should follow then he would create them, that include the CGs that they are even prettier, but for that you will have to play the game! I think it would make him glad if you follow him in Pixiv and/or Devianart if you like his style.

I'm the director, writer, designer, programmer, translator, producer and basically all every other little job you can think of. Truly the indie way, I guess.

10. Nonscpo

Nonscpo Member

Nice! I trust the Spanish port should come out well then, best of luck to you with this project!

11. Angelus

Angelus Senior Member

I'd actually be interested in proofreading (don't care too much about money), I could also translate the game and marketing to French (my mother tongue) if you wanted to appeal to that market (I know Quebec is big in the Weeb scene, but I'm not sure how good they are for paying. Again, I don't care too much about money, as long as I get a credit.

If you were legitimately interested in a French translation, I'd be open to doing a profit share based on downloads of a French language patch or w/e. But a credit in a dream job is already priceless.

12. Keinart

Keinart Member

Well, as I mentioned before this will be a no-commercial project so I don't think I will get too much money, so not sure you want to share profits that way lol.
    Of course I would be interested in a French translation, the more languages the better, but translating a game like this one can be a lot of work so, if that's ok for you, we can do proofreading/testing first, that way you get to know the novel and all that, and if after reading it you still feel like translating I could give you all you need for that and we can work together on it. For those kinda job, the translation I mean, I like to pay people even if it's not too much, I also gave a small comission to the girl who helped me with the english version even though she started doing it for free, just because I think it's fair and as a token of appreciation.

Of course, in any case, you would be in the credits, I consider that a given, and I will include all of those who help even if it's just giving their opinion and some feedback.

I'm gonna send you a private message with more info, but I considered it important to make this message public too in case more people is interested.

Oh, and thank you for offering :)

13. isaacbeans

isaacbeans Is totally sexy.

Im late...so..im native spanish speaker so..

14. Keinart

Keinart Member

IT'S NEVER TOO LATE, BRO, I'VE SEND YOU A PRIVATE MESSAGE.

15. Keinart

Keinart Member

Hello there, just doing an update around here.

The proyect is almost done, thank you to the people that has helped until now. There's still time so for people that haven't finished reading it yet you guys can still help. For now the feedback I've received is pretty good and seems people is loving the novel (it's better that I could imagine myself lol). I'm planning a release around next week or the next to that one (depends of my artist to finish a couple things) and the novel will of course be available for free. I'll shill it a bit when the time comes around these forums since I love ya guys and all that but until then, this is a last call if anyone wanna give a shot to the beta and appear in the credits!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  16. Angelus

Angelus Senior Member

Sorry I haven't given more feedback, things got hectic, lol.

It's pretty great though, the only thing that bothered me was the names felt pretty foreign and took a while for me to get used to, which is obviously a very minor thing.

17. Keinart

Keinart Member

[​IMG]

Hello guys, I have great news... The visual novel One Thousand Lies is OUT!! You can download for free from Itch.io: One Thousand Lies by Keinart

There's also the official website: One Thousand Lies

Of course, is totally free. I edited the first message too with links to download. Thank you so much for those interested and helping, and I hope you guys enjoy reading One Thousand Lies.

18. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

Hey man, I downloaded this sucker and tossed a euro your way. I just finished up Chapter 1.

COMMENTS:
    ~The presentation is incredible, solid colors on black makes me hard as a rock
    ~The prank at the beginning legitimately tricked me
    ~The music is great
    ~I died at the part where the MC acts like an American

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS: EXCELLENT VISUAL NOVEL

19. Keinart

Keinart Member

Nice! I'm glad you like it! Everyone loves THAT scene at the end of chapter 1, I'm glad to know people find it funny because comedy is pretty hard to do and sometimes you don't know what's funny or what's cringeworthy.

So since I'm on it... Android version is up!

[​IMG]
    Free Download from Google Play

You will also find a link in itchio to download it.

I have also updated the other platforms to version 1.2 (1.1 died on the way, rest in peace). I fixed some minor bugs and typos so everything should be nicer.

Thanks everyone for your support and I hope you enjoy reading the novel!

20. Keinart

Keinart Member

So I wanna make a small update around here. The novel is now in Steam Greenlight and I would appreciate your votes: Steam Greenlight :: One Thousand Lies

[​IMG]

The novel has been already downloaded more than 1000 times and I'm pretty happy with feedback from people considering is a small project with no marketing whatsoever. In fact I wasn't planning to go for a Steam Greenlight at the beginning but a lot of people told me that I should and that they liked the novel more than some other stuff you can already find around there so I should give it a try.

Thanks again for everyone for taking your time to read this.