Official Nichegamer Ty the Tasmanian Tiger Lore Thread

Discussion in 'The Edge of Space' started by Lex, Nov 15, 2016.

BEST GIRL

1. Kit Ballard

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Justice Kreel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Terra-Li

100.0%
  4. Skiffy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Walrut Hed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lex

Lex Senior Member

Ty is the 2nd most important Australian cultural export, #1 being

so it deserves a dedicated lore thread. Have you seen the ad they made?

The evil cassowary Boss Cass enters the Outback to activate the Dreamtime by stealing five mystical talismans so he can become the ruler of Australia. However, he is confronted by a family of thylacines and they fight for control of the talismans. Boss Cass uses the last talisman and opens a portal to the Dreamtime to attract the tigers in. However, his plan proves to be a failure when one of the tigers family members throws his Doomarang to dislodge the talismans. The portal is destroyed and the talismans become scattered. Following his family's disappearance, Ty becomes the last of his kind, and a family of bilbies adopt him. Ty thinks that the other Tasmanian tigers are dead during his time with the bilbies. Years later, Ty falls into a cave by accident while playing with the bilbies. While there, he encounters the Bunyip elder Nandu Gilli, who informs him about his heritage and Cass' intentions to seek out the talismans again. Ty resolves to retrieve the talismans and save his family, and is rescued by Maurie, his sulphur-crested cockatoo friend.

At Bli-Bli Station, Ty is introduced to a scientist named Julius, a koala who has invented a device that will find the Talismans. Because Thunder Eggs are required to power the device, Ty must find the Thunder Eggs by visiting portals to other worlds. Maurie informs Ty that he must find another boomerang. From there, Ty makes his way through a billabong and finds his second boomerang with the help of Maurie, At a rainforest, he helps save his dingo girlfriend Shazza and helps Ranger Ken by clearing the bats out of a cave, and learns to swim from the lifeguard Rex and find a wrecked ship on a tropical island. When Julius finds the first talisman, Ty encounters Bull, a boar. He tames Bull by luring him into the rocks and rescues the first talisman. At Julius' laboratory, Ty learns that Julius has developed elemental boomerangs by diverting the excess energy from the Fire Thunder Eggs through his Hyper Techno Boomerang Maker.

Ty makes his way through Pippy Beach by using his Flamerangs. He uses Bull to travel around the outback and help Shazza and Ken once more. Ty also befriends Dennis, a cowardly green tree frog. He helps Dennis get to his home by lighting up the paths, and also rescues a group of koala children, who are lost in the snow. As Julius finds the second talisman, Cass stations another one of his henchmen, Crikey. Ty jumps across a group of platforms and, after using the oxygen tanks, defeats Crikey. Ty puts out a group of bushfires and enters Lake Burril, a small lake. However, having discovered that Ty is the one collecting the talismans and Thunder Eggs, Cass deploys Sly, another one of his high-ranking henchmen and Ty's rival. As Ty makes his way through another rainforest (while being misguided by a lyrebird named Lenny), he is confronted by Sly inside the rainforest's factory. Ty easily defeats Sly, but he runs off. He later saves the koala children again and puts out bushfires on a snowy mountain, and crosses a group of tropical islands. When the third talisman is located, Ty finds and battles Fluffy, another of Cass' henchmen. Despite attacking with her giant mechanical Yeti, Ty defeats her and crosses a group of tropical islands.

After gathering enough golden cogs and Thunder Eggs and noticing that the last two talismans are at Cass' Lair, Ty enters a rainforest leading to Cass' lair while avoiding booby traps and Cass' minions. Inside the lair, Ty sees Shazza. Cass has another of his henchmen, Shadow, capture Shazza. Ty uses the ventilation shafts to defeat Shadow and save Shazza and the fourth talisman. While he continues to searching for Cass, he confronts Sly again and easily overpowers him. Just as Sly is saved from falling into the lava pit, he runs off and vows vengeance on Ty. Ty finds Cass' massive robot, where he is confronted by the cassowary. Ty damages the robot before Sly arrives and betrays Cass. He gives Ty the Doomarang, which Ty uses to destroy the robot and send Cass falling out of the sky. After giving the Bunyip elder the last talisman, his mother and father arrive from the Dreamtime. If Ty collects every opal, Golden Cog and Thunder Egg in the game, a robotic Tasmanian tiger awakens.

2. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

I dunno. I thought it was OK that me and DuckSquared had a little chat about Sonic lore. I thought it was nice to have a legitimate discussion instead of just shitposting. Are those not allowed on Niche Gamer forums? Should I just have posted a YouTube compilation of dumb Sonic fans set up to slowed-down music from Sonic Adventure 2? I probably should have - woulda saved me a lot of trouble.

3. Lex

Lex Senior Member

Well, there's a reason that thread is in Gaming Discussion (where there was a decent conversation going) and this one is in the Edge of Space. I think the overly serious way that people talk about Lore in things like Gears of War and Souls could use a bit of gentle ribbing, because as fun as that stuff can be, it gets taken to excess.

I intended a stealth Round the Twist thread

4. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

I know, people actually wanting to discuss the narratives of video games is just soooo wacky! It's like they actually want to meaningfully contribute to a topic, instead of just sticking nonsense to it like gum to the bottom of a shoe.

Seriously, if seeing people have a discussion triggers you so much, why read it? That's not a dig or an insult, I'm legitimately asking you and anyone else who feels this way.

And before you pull the "you're doing the same thing by posting in this thread!" card, I do want to have a discussion about this.

5. Lex

Lex Senior Member

Well, it's grown into a big part of gaming culture and is present in a large number of newer games (where before the world building was relegated to a codex or tie-in novel). It's becoming ubiquitous. Every developer talks about their story and their world in previews and interviews. Being more visible means you notice the incongruity when it comes to games like (low effort examples) Destiny or Halo, where the enormous investment of time and effort into creating a rich, textured universe falls flat. I find this more amusing than upsetting.

I don't mind if people want to talk about these games and their stories seriously. We have the Gaming Discussion board for that. I just like being able to make fun of it, too.

Edit: I also really enjoy how detailed some of these Wikipedia articles for games I deemed obscure are, which I think probably comes from the same place

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  6. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

Are these not all good things? Are these not all things we want? Not for every game, mind, but if a game has a story I would want them to put effort into said story.

So people discuss the inconsistencies and the consistencies to either fill in the cracks or just geek out about a story.

I don't understand this sentence. Are you trying to act condescending? I can't tell.

You "don't mind" so much that you made two separate threads dedicated to goofing on people who actually want to discuss the stories of video games? (As well as shitposting in the Sonic lore discussion too, natch)

You can make whatever threads you want, but don't expect me to just sit idly by and not call you on it. I'd expect this kind of thing from Minuteworld_92, but not anyone else.

7. Lex

Lex Senior Member

This was an answer to "why not choose not to engage?". I don't particularly disagree with these sentiments, but would point to Sonic 06 as an example of where it's wrongheaded.

Not intentionally. I guess it's close to phraseology used by Atheism+ guys so I appreciate I could put it better. I am trying to convey that I find the juxtaposition of these serious discussions with the less serious games they revolve around kinda funny, when it had been implied I might find them distressing. It's fine that they exist.

I feel like you're reading more into this than there is.

8. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

Well please, if making two separate threads about lampooning the same topic doesn't imply a least a bit of ire, go ahead and say what it does imply. I'm listening!

While I give as much of a shit about your opinion on Sonic 06 as you do about mine, I'd argue that games with (ostensibly?) weak stories deserve discussion more than games with good stories do. At the very least, they don't deserve nonsensical shitposting in otherwise legitimate conversation.

9. Lex

Lex Senior Member

Same thing the last four threads I started having Best Girl polls in them does - that I go back to the well a lot.

This is a more interesting subject than this thread warrants, suggest we start a new thread for it.

10. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

Well, shit, I can't argue with that! I guess what I should say now is that you're a loser. You're a loser! That's what you are, and so is anyone else if they shit up a thread that people are trying to have a discussion in.

11. Minuteworld_92

Minuteworld_92 Senior Member

12. Lex

Lex Senior Member

I got the impression during Blade Kitten's development that there was a reasonable number of furries working at Krome, so in this you won't be alone.