Nintendo, The Switch, and Censorship

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Getting Gay With Kids, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Getting Gay With Kids

Getting Gay With Kids Recruit

I've been wondering how games on the Switch have been doing. I haven't really been following it that much, but also am surprised to see the lack of censorship complaints. Has Nintendo become more lax with their games for this console? From what I have seen, it doesn't seem they are marketing to children as heavily as they have in the past and I think that's one reason the censorship got so bad. What's your views on this?

2. Battlechili

Battlechili Senior Member

The system hasn't been out long enough for them to really censor anything. Its too early to say if they're going to be more relaxed with this platform.
    Also I think Nintendo prides itself on being family friendly. I don't think they'd change that just because their new console is being marketed as being for everybody.

3. Getting Gay With Kids

Getting Gay With Kids Recruit

I mean I guess, but it's still surprising not to be hearing a lot of these Nintendo exclusive titles being hit. Like I've heard BOTW is slightly more darker in its content.

4. grgspunk

grgspunk Well-Known Member

The censorship concerns involving Nintendo primarily involve games where Nintendo itself had a say in developing/publishing them.

It doesn't necessarily mean it'll automatically happen to a game just because it's released on a Nintendo console. Just look at all those Senran Kagura games on the 3DS.

5. The_Mad_Monarch

The_Mad_Monarch Recruit

I don't think it will be until Xenoblade Chronicles 2 comes out that we will have an actual Idea of how the Censorship on Switch is going to work. Luckily since the Region locking was dropped, if we start seeing English Subtitles on japanese releases, this may not be as much an issue. I really hope they start doing that.