NG Video Review

Discussion in 'Feedback and Issues' started by Angelus, Jul 13, 2016.

How good (out of 10) was the review

Poll closed Jul 20, 2016.
  1. 10 - beyond perfect

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 9 - pretty much perfect, I just don't believe in giving perfect scores

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 8 - gud but not gr8

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. 7 - a nice start

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  5. 6 - just glad there were no memes!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5 - meh

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  7. 4 - this is good score, all my favourite games are 4/10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3 - rubbish that can't even be traded with a crow

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2 - a new contestant for Destruictoid and IGN

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 - watched on the toilet, made me re-absorb my own shit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Angelus

Angelus Senior Member

So the NG YouTube account finally posted something that isn't 3 minutes up-close and personal with Brandon's face.

Gonna copy and paste what I said in the comments about it. Overall it was done pretty well, aside from basic mistakes and a somewhat generic feel. Pretty good for a first review.

-Keep your bullet points concise. The longer they are, the more mistakes you'll make, and the more it'll distract from what you're saying and showing. Try to communicate key points with the minimum amount of words. Example: "gorgeous visuals, smooth 60FPS". You don't need to write complete sentences.

-Video felt a bit on the long side for me, I find the ideal length for reviews is 5-8 minutes, but this may just be a personal preference.

-Review doesn't really make it clear how long the game actually is. Try to include things such as length, alternate endings, whether or not the original Japanese voice track is included, the performance of voice actors, et cetera.

-When you gave the score, you didn't really make it clear whether you enjoyed the game or not and how much. Go ahead and explicitly state whether or not you had fun playing the game and briefly go over where it lost/gain points.

-Going forward, try to make the reviews more Niche Gamer-y. I guess an obvious suggestion would be to have Mika present some of the info (holding the review score on a white sign, or cheering on a high score/crying over a low score, etc...), but there's a lot that could be done. Try to structure and 'decorate' the reviews in such a way that the viewer is frequently reminded that this is an NG review.

2. Ice Apollo

Ice Apollo Anime is HARAM

the video was good but it could have touched on which vocal tracks were available or any content that is available or not available varying on region

3. DeepShitAboutWings

DeepShitAboutWings Well-Known Member

Woah, why doesn't this have a fat neckbeard speedreading through a transcript like the other videos?

4. Battlechili

Battlechili Senior Member

A whole minute before the review actually starts is kind of annoying. If I'm watching a review, I'm not here to watch the intro/clips from the game with no commentary. I'm here to learn more about the game and/or what people think of it. Reminds me of some of Pan Pizza's reviews before he got too click-baity. They would have segments of nothing but clips from the shows he talked about that would last a bit too long before getting back to the review.

Nichegamer should get very quickly to the point. I understand wanting to set up atmosphere but 1 minute is too long a wait before an actual review.

5. vayanui8

vayanui8 Senior Member

One thing I noticed is that the outro goes over the reviewers last word. Its an easy fix in the future to make sure that it happens just a second later so it doesn't seem like he's getting cut off. Pretty good review as a whole though. While I prefer to read reviews, I think video reviews are an important feature because it keeps the site up to date with the competition