NaNoWriMo/Writers

Discussion in 'Creative Discussion' started by WB1c_Marathon, Nov 10, 2015.

1. WB1c_Marathon

WB1c_Marathon Well-Known Member

I know it's late, but anyone here doing the write a novel in a month thing? Almost halfway through and I got a couple of ideas I may start even though I probably won't complete them before the deadline. Also any writers here?

2. Angelus

Angelus Senior Member

I know a girl who was doing this too, she got pretty discouraged near the end though. The month deadline seems like a nice way to discourage procrastination, and increase overall flow of the story, despite leading to unedited messes. What are you writing?

3. DigiGuineaPig

DigiGuineaPig Senior Member

I'm pretty sure NanoWriMo isn't really about editing or polishing up anything by any means. I just think it's just in place just to get creative juices flowing and to show people that they can write and accomplish something. I don't really understand how people get discouraged and quit or anything like that after they start. I think a lot of people have unrealistic ideals when starting writing. If you're not writing because you want to write and it's a discouraging or negative process for you then you probably shouldn't write.

4. Largo

Largo Senior Member

This is actually the first I've heard of NanoWriMo. Has it been around for a while?

It seems like a great idea, never know what creative ideas you can come up with if given a reasonable time limit.

5. DigiGuineaPig

DigiGuineaPig Senior Member

It's been around for quite awhile now. I used at least since I was in my late teens I participated in 2004-2005 or something around there. I have always supported the idea of pushing people to create!

6. WB1c_Marathon

I had two ideas, one a kinda horror story where the mc reflects on his life and relationships through the use of classic horror tropes, and the other is about someone overcoming an alcohol addiction only to begin to realize that he was addicted to something worse and that just enhanced it.

7. WB1c_Marathon

I forgot where I had heard of it, I just know I always wanted to try it but get distracted.

8. HalfTangible

HalfTangible Recruit

I'm not doing nanowrimo specifically, but I am keeping track of how many words I've written each week and have set a 50k word goal for my manuscript (about 5700 so far, with a few thousand more in world-building/planning).

9. WB1c_Marathon

Very nice, I'm kinda in limbo with my stuff.

10. bigwilliestyles

bigwilliestyles Established Recruit

I'm a writer. I focus on fantasy and sci-fi elements. I excel at character creation and world building.

I just need an artist for a graphic novel idea I have. I really suck at drawing humans and human-like beings.

11. Hrist

Hrist Senior Member

I just write a bit here and there. My usual posting place is at Archiveofourown.org.

Though I just write whatever that interest me.

12. Largo

Largo Senior Member

So has anybody else came up with any stories?

13. WB1c_Marathon

I'm always coming up with stuff. Not really a story, but just started writing about the feeling that time moves past a person way to fast. Like, you want to do something but you're frozen by the feeling you won't have enough time to finish so nothing ever happens until time comes for you.

14. bigwilliestyles

bigwilliestyles Established Recruit

Same. I just wish I had any artistic talent at all beyond sketches.

I just add elements over a period that can span years. Some characters and universes get really complex in story and the rules that govern them. Itsa cool.