Manga recommendation thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Dendro Batidae, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Angelus

Angelus Senior Member

On the right track.

If it means anything, I've already contacted a seller for the first volume of SUNDOME to try and get it cheap.

2. cerebro podrido

cerebro podrido Senior Member

Started reading Dungeon Meshi a few days ago
    It's about a party that goes into a dungeon to save a girl from their party that was eaten by a dragon, and since they don't have any money for food they just go eating whatever they find in the dungeon
    It's f u n

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  3. Dendro Batidae

Dendro Batidae Quite the Cynic

For a moment I thought it would be ANOTHER of those "stuck inside of a mmo".

This kind of scenario became so popular recently, god knows why.

4. Lex

Lex Senior Member

Speaking of - I don't know how good the manga is, but the light novel version of Rising of the Shield Hero is the closest to good I've seen this concept done. The characters have actual flaws and don't win effortlessly.

5. Dendro Batidae

Please describe it more. I got myself disappointed enough times to not want to go into this blindly.

A friend of mine once recommended me Sword Art Online as if it was the second comming of christ, I think I never dropped an anime so fast.

6. Lex

Lex Senior Member

Alright, but I'll slap spoiler tags on in case anyone decides to just up and read or whatever. There're a few chapters of the manga floating around online, it shouldn't be too much of an investment to find out if it's worth your time or not.

Otaku dude is summoned to an MMO world alongside similar guys from alternate versions of Japan to be a hero and prevent the world ending (you know, the usual). Each one of them gets a legendary weapon bound to them, and he's stuck with the shield where the others get sword, spear and bow. The weapons also tap into whatever the hero's sin is in moments of weakness to turn them into lunatics.

Being stuck with the shield means protag can't attack, so he has to group with someone to actually progress.

First person he groups with uses the funds he gets at the start to buy herself gear, then proceeds to rob him and falsely accuse him of rape so she can group with the pretty boy hero. Dude has to buy a slave, slap a spell on her to compel her to obey him just so that he has a means to progress. Although he's been stripped of all but the most meagre support, he's still expected to hero like the rest. The story is him working through all the set backs and roadblocks to try and do the right thing (or spite the fuckers, it alternates).

7. Dendro Batidae

Sounds less bad than your usual "stuck in MMO" manga. As long as it don't have a forced romance plot, I'll give it a try.

I wish there was a "stuck in MMO" manga that actually felt like they are playing a video game, you know?

8. Lex

Lex Senior Member

I've heard that's what Log Horizon is, but I've not the time to sink to find out right now.

9. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

I'm sold.

10. Dendro Batidae

Magnolia Online tries to play with this subject, but I don't think it's considered a manga since it's not japanese.

[​IMG]

11. cerebro podrido

cerebro podrido Senior Member

Yea, it's weird, since it sucks shit almost all the time, but Dungeon Meshi ain't about that stuff. I should have put more images on my post.

12. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

I started reading Strongest Man Kurosawa. It's by Nobuyuki Fukumoto, the Akagi / Kaiji guy, so I thought I might like it.

Here are some screencaps, presented without comment.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll let you decide on roughly how much I enjoy this manga.

13. Dendro Batidae

I've read this one. Went expecting it to be another life and death gambling story with crazy plots, but the story is about everyday's life, nothing really special.

Though it does a good job at giving that Kaiji levels of tension to mundane things like trying to become friends with people at work and picking up fights with teenagers.

14. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

Fukumoto could draw literally anything and I would be all over it. The man understands people on a completely different level.

Did you know he's allegedly self-taught? His early work is really rough (before I started Kurosawa I read the first volume of Ten, and hoooo boy) but by the time Akagi came around he completely transformed. I love how different his style is from anything else on the market... he is the master of constructing designs out of straight lines and sharp edges.

15. Dendro Batidae

Yeah, it shows.

I only read Zero, Kaiji and tried to get into Akagi but I can't understand mahjong even if my life depended on it.

16. Nin

Nin Senior Member

I marathoned Hotman recently. It's a pretty cool SOL manga. Manga that touch on the theme of family are my weakness.

Also, I second My Balls. It's short, sweet, and pretty hilarious. Yuricam, by the same makers, is about a college girl who is forced to act like a lesbian gigolo for money. Absurd yuri antics ensue.

I can't understand mahjong at all, but the Legend of Koizumi is still a ton of fun. Or maybe it's because I have no idea how absurd the moves are.

17. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

Just finished it! I really, really loved it, and give it a hearty recommendation. It's a bit long (11 volumes) but if you don't mind that then you're in for Watamote: 45 Year Old Man Edition. If you've ever felt left out of this world, you'll love the protagonist and his misadventures.

The ending has one of my favorite final battles in any manga, too.

18. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

Nostradamus Love
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Very short but very cute romance story. You can probably guess how it ends from the first page, but it has this humble sentimentality to it. The story kind of changes halfway through, but it stills flows well and never loses it's heart.

19. Dendro Batidae

Let me guess. It's a slice-of-life set in the few days before the end of the world?

20. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

Kind of. (I'm pretty sure I'm not spoiling anything by saying that.) The romance between the two central characters is the focus, though!