Manga recommendation thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Dendro Batidae, Feb 3, 2016.

1. bigwilliestyles

bigwilliestyles Established Recruit

I know. It's the most imaginative of any manga I've ever read. I have recommended it to parents with young boys many a time. It's the best starter manga.

2. Dendro Batidae

Dendro Batidae Quite the Cynic

How?

3. Domi

Domi Senior Member

I... feel you haven't read too much manga if you think there's nothing more imaginative. JoJo surpasses OP in that matter quite a lot, and it's not it's an obscure series these days.

4. Dendro Batidae

Anyone who knows me enough is aware that I hate romance. I feel almost all modern love stories represent that shallow middle age "Sex & the City" kind of idealized love that could be sumarized as: "finding a sexual partner who's flaws I can ignore and won't be bothered by my own".

But here I am, against all odds, recomending a tale of love, friendship and sexual frustration called:

SUNDOME

[​IMG]

Sundome tells the story of your typical lonely virgin protagonist who meets this mysterious girl that he slowly develops a strange relationship based on sexual domination.

Overall the plot is more about how young people in japan banalize sexuallity and relationships in general. The manga deals with both spectrums of the theme.

You have the lonely otakus who take pride in their virginity:

[​IMG]

As well as the school's bimbo who's popularity is based all around her slutness:

[​IMG]

You have these completely opposite characters slowly realizing through their strange friendship how focusing so much of their social life on sexuality is actually what makes then so lonely in the end. Sundome as a whole is a tale of discovering, I really like the sense of confusion and mistery around the characters, it really captures the confusing aspects of growing up, and most of all, the painful process we ironically like to call "falling in love".

[​IMG]

The whole story is told from the protagonist perspective, so you always have a nice idea of how frustrating and conflicting his feelings are. Like him, you know barely nothing about this girl, yet she's just so important and he can't really explain why.

There is always a constant struggle between his heart, his brain and his penis. The girl he's in love with is always mysterious and you never really knows her true intentions untill the pieces of the puzzle start falling together.

As an example: eventually he starts finding signals that she might actually have a boyfriend, with that comes all the weird roller coaster of feelings like "What if she never liked me? What if all this is just a game for her? What if all this teasing and sexually frustration is just her way to bully me? What if I'm just a loser that she just likes to toy with? What if all of the signals that she liked me were all in my mind? What if I'm a loser who misrepresents any kind of politeness from a girl as a sign that she likes me?"

Don't get me wrong, what brought me to Sundome was the lewdness. There are lots of it.

I found it while looking for a non-hentai manga about S&M, but never expected to actually like the story so much (specially because most echii mangas have terrible stories)

[​IMG]

Like I said before, it's like most romantic stories today are written by frustrated middle aged people who forgot what it means to love someone else. Sundome actually caught me off-guard since it wasn't just a lewd manga about a girl sexually dominating a boy, but a truly warming story about people learning to see beyond their sexual urges as well as a perfect representation of the pure, innocent, confusing and torturous experience that is teenage love.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  5. bigwilliestyles

bigwilliestyles Established Recruit

A cyborg powered by cola. A living skeleton with an afro.

Imaginative does not mean pants on head insane.

6. Domi

Domi Senior Member

"Imaginative does not mean pants on head wackiness".

It doesn't, but it helps.

The stand powers are really imaginative, plus they are guardian angels with crazy powers and bizarre looks, fashion plays a huge role in the art-style, the author is always trying to impress the reader with resolutions you weren't expecting at all / how the good guys win against what appears to be an invincible power... The author truly has an imaginative mind to draw something like this.

7. Dendro Batidae

It also doesn't mean random shit that makes no sense.

I'm with Domi here. Jojo is a way better example of imaginative manga. One Piece is just a collection of cliches strapped together by a forced plot. At least Araki puts effort into thinking outside of the box.

8. Domi

Domi Senior Member

"One Piece is just a collection of cliches strapped together by a forced plot."

I wouldn't put it that way at all, I don't see it as a manga full of cliches... well, I guess it's a matter of opinion, but I don't see any "forced plot", by the time a new arc starts, the author already has the whole arc planned and is working on the next one. You can see a lot of subtle details that you wouldn't realise most of the times unless other people point at it or you really look into it after reading what were they were referencing.

9. Lex

Lex Senior Member

Jojo requires very specific taste. It's a bit like Dark Souls - recommended to everyone, but only actually suited to some.

One Piece is more accessible, and characterising it as cliched when it's yet to have a training arc, beamspam or any of the half dozen other gimmicks that plague modern battle shounen is a bit unfair.

And neither series is that obscure or underrated. I'll check out Sundome, though.

10. Domi

Domi Senior Member

Both JoJo and Dark Souls are kinda at mainstream levels right now, I'm not so sure they are "very specific taste" when they are this famous.

11. Lex

Lex Senior Member

They're highly visible within communities of hardcore enthusiasts, which isn't quite the same thing. CoD and Naruto are mainstream. Dark Souls and Jojo are not.

12. Dendro Batidae

I'm biased since I hate One Piece, I find it to be on par with Naruto and Bleach.

It explores all the cliches I hate in big shonen mangas. Characters that are never really in danger because plot armor (unless they need to die in a epic battle because drama and motivation for the protagonist), huge ass arcs about locations and characters I couldn't care less about, villains conveniently pulling weaknesses in the last minute, huge ass overall plot that you know it won't end in your lifetime, getting on the same power level as the villains by means of off-panel training.

All this strapped together by forced plot points like a character conveniently throwing each crew member in a isolated or hidden island where they can train without being bothered by the villains. Or a device that forces the characters to go around island by island, solving other people's problems.

13. Domi

Domi Senior Member

That doesn't feel like One Piece at all. It's like you are describing Naruto with pirates. A lot of what you complain isn't really part of One Piece, plus saying it's at the same level of Naruto or Bleach it's like saying Dragon Quest is like Final Fantasy.

For example, this line...

"getting on the same power level as the villains by means of off-panel training"

It's a huge lie. There isn't even a power level scale at all. Aside from Zoro (which just trains lifting huge objects) and a very specific part of the series, there isn't any training. Up to a subtle tease around volume 40, the only power characters had was their fruit (if they ate one) and that was all, winning relies on how good the characters are at using their fruits. Then they introduced Haki openly around volume... 55, I think? And that's just a different power level that compliments the weapons/fruit of the characters. It's, in any case, parallel. The fact that there's absolutely zero training arcs is a testimony of how One Piece isn't about power levels at all, and if there's some elements that resemble that, it's because it's almost a mandatory for shonen manga with action and battles.

"huge ass overall plot that you know it won't end in your lifetime"

That would be true if this was Naruto or Bleach, but from time to time, we've got updates on the overall progress of the series. Almost from the start, we are aware of how big the world is, which is probably the excuse for how big the manga is, sure, BUT you know that, you are aware this won't be just a trip. There are a lot of islands they have to go through until they reach the end. But, can you say what will happen in Naruto or Bleach until the end? Uh, Naruto will fight new bad guys? More enemies will appear on Bleach so Ichigo will have to keep fighting? Just add more arcs until the popularity dies. In both manga no one tells you how close they are to an end or the main goal. Nothing. One Piece does. And, right now, we know exactly who controls the four seas, and there shouldn't be any new secret bad guys that are more powerful or above them. The Yonkos, the Marine and Blackbeard are the final bosses of One Piece. Oh, and it looks they are going to fight one in the next arc.

Everything feels planned from the start, or at least good enough it's not full or asspulls just to increase the volume counter. Which, by the way, most OP volumes have 10 or 11 chapters (+230 pages), while most manga are just 8 or 9 chapters (under 190 pages), if they wanted, we could be at volume 100 by now instead of volume 80.

Those complains fit JoJo perfectly, and way better.

Also... OP is about the journey, not about reaching the destination.

"a device that forces the characters to go around island by island"

Well, the world is divided into islands, continents don't even exist. Of course someone will eventually invent an item so people can travel to other islands in this world of fantasy where fruits that gives you a power is even more strange.

"huge ass arcs"

Most arcs are a bit over 5 volumes, those that last a bit more are really important and deserve more chapters. The longevity is NOT because the arcs are long, it's because there are a LOT of arcs.

"solving other people's problems"

What would you expect, reaching an island then 2 chapters later reaching the next one? Also, helping people ends up as an important element to become the pirate king, a lot of people has a debt with the Straw hats and it will pay off in the end for that goal.

"Characters that are never really in danger because plot armor (unless they need to die in a epic battle because drama and motivation for the protagonist)"

What you claim to happen in the ( ) only happened once in the entire series. Maybe twice, or even three times, but you can't say that's common when we are at volume 80. Most characters don't even die, and that's one of the complains I have about OP (Pell it's a fucking joke and one of the worst points of One Piece), but at least they keep reappearing from time to time, to make you feel the world of OP is alive, so it's still something, rather than just "oh why would I need to remember what I draw anymore if I'm done with this arc".

You know what? Go read Fairy Tail. That's exactly the One Piece you are talking about. It's pretty much a "let's try to emulate One Piece but with such a low effort it's Naruto in spirit".

14. Dendro Batidae

All right, let's start. I want to make it clear that I'm not trying to convince anyone that One Piece is complete garbage, this is just like... my opinion, man.

I must be one of the few people who doesn't like it. I base my opinion on my own experience with the manga, wich I read untill shortly after the time-skip. Maybe this discussion can actually help me understand what makes One Piece good.

Also it been ages since I read it, so pardon me if some details are a little foggy.

What about those pirates who work for the marines? They are much stronger than the protagonists. Or maybe Black Beard and White Beard who are some of the strongest pirates? Also the marine admirals? It's not as blatant as Dragon Ball and Naruto, but at least from what I remenber, One Piece does have some defined power levels.

What about Enel? I remenber he kicked everyone's ass because his devil fruit power was one of the strongests, same with Crocodile, both of then only lost because of convenient weaknesses that Luffy found out in the last minute.

I agree that it's not a matter of who have the most chackra and knows the most overpowered ninjutsu, but it's not all that much like battle of wits.

You sure about that? To me the time skip felt like a huge training arc made entirely to make the characters get closer to the villains power level. Wich is exactly what Naruto did.

My complain here is the lenght. I know Oda plans ahead but I don't think it excuses him of having one of those infinite mangas. I understand they need to do it, and sometimes it's part of what people like, but to me it's just frustrating because it's a story that started when I was a kid (I'm 23), and it still may have decades ahead.

At some point this kinda burns you out, but I give credit to Oda for being passionated enough to still put effort in his work even after so long, wich wasn't the case with Kishimoto. Around the final arcs of Naruto it was clear he had just given up. Not saying this alone is enough to ruin a manga (I like Berserk, for example, even though I admit that Miura went out of his tracks after the golden age), but it's sure one of the points that put me off One Piece.

Let's not make this into a Jojo vs One Piece argument.

That's a cliche that frustrates me. The "the journey was the real treasure!" thing just makes thing feel pointless in the end. At this point I've completely given up on the idea of One Piece being an actual treasure.

I'm talking about the Log Pose. It's clearly a plot device made to force the characters into filler arcs. "It only send you to the next island, and you have to spend an ammount of time there until it can send you to the next island", cut me a fucking break... that is just lazy writting!

I guess they feel long to me because I couldn't care about the characters. That island with the two giants, holy shit... what was that? The whole skypiea arc, the winter island arc, almost all of the arcs! Who are these characters? Why should I give a fuck about these bunch of people they just met? Oda could have written it in a more dinamic way. The way he did just feels forced.

That's my problem in the first place! You don't need to force your characters into island after island and once they are there you make then solve the local people's problems. Give Luffy and the crew an actual reason to go into an island, have then need to do something there that involves both the plot and the local people. The way it is right now, Luffy only goes on a island because he wants adventure or because the Log Pose (plot device) forces him to.

Yeah right. The journey is more important than the end, right? That's a nice excuse. I'm also aware that Oda loves to bring back characters from 700 chapters back, but to me it's just feel like a way to make these arcs seen relevant in the grand scheme when in fact they were mostly filler.

My complain is not just that the characters don't die, or that they die only for drama. It is that they never feel in danger and the action doesn't seen to have consequences. I know it's part of it's style, but One Piece's looney tunes violence takes away the thrill of the battle. You have Usop battle agains't the mole woman, where she beats him to a pulp and have multiple bombs exploding right in front of his face, just for him to shrug it off and continue fighting like nothing happened. Then you have Enel unleashing 2 billion volts right into the head of the old man in the Skypeia arc, I seriously thought he died there... but nope, he shows shortly after saying: "dang... that hurt! I even passed out!"

You get what I mean? After a while you lose the feeling of danger because the characters are never really in risk, if they got beaten, cut, shot in the face, they just shrug it off latter like a looney tune character after being hit in the head with an anvil.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all these problems are exclusive to One Piece. Even Jojo have some of these too. It's just that I don't see One Piece as a the great manga everyone praises it for being. To me it felt like just another gigantic story filled with boring shonen cliches, just like Naruto and Bleach.

People tell me One Piece is about adventure, but I never felt like Luffy was going on an adventure... you know? It felt like he was forced to interact with people through plot devices, like in a bad video game where the writer don't want to conclude the story so he keeps shoving side missions into the main plot as an excuse to lenght the game, and then have the characters you met in these mission to help you in the end, wich is just a excuse for having those boring unrelated plots in the first place.

Let's do something... we went about One Piece flaws, but what does you like in the manga? What in One Piece makes you feel like it stands out from Naruto and Bleach?

15. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

Spurred on by this very thread, I just finished up 20th Century Boys.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It had some pacing problems, and some of the characters were pretty bland, but over all I really liked it. If you like celebrations of both American and Japanese pop culture (think Cowboy Bebop's kind of thing but with an equal balance of the two) then I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Now, I wouldn't recommend it if you don't like timeskips, frequent callbacks to characters and plotlines from hundreds of chapter ago, and inconclusive endings to plot threads. This isn't a "turn-your-brain-off" story... you need to pay attention.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  16. Dendro Batidae

Got to the very end but never finished it. For such a simple story, this manga is just so freaking long.

17. Dendro Batidae

This one is not a master piece but I had lots of fun with it. It's a creative take on your usual echii manga. It's called...

My Balls!

[​IMG]

Yup, it's not a word play, the title is refearing to the protagonist testicles.

So here is the plot: Earth was once part of the demon world, so in the 7th month of *current year* the demons will be able to destroy humanity and invade earth, but the invasion is only possible during that month.

One day before the invasion begins, an angel tries to seal the demon queen inside a glass sphere. Wacky hijinks insues and she acidentaly gets sealed inside one of the protagonist testicles. Without the queen, the demons can't conduct the invasion so their only option now is to rescue her and the only way to do it is to make the protagonist ejaculate.

Thus the story begins. The protagonist must endure a whole month without busting a nut while being atacked by all kinds of horny succubus on daily baisis, all that while dealing with his everyday problems.

The fate of humanity lies on his balls.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  18. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

Isn't there a female version of this with a woman with a talking vagina? I could have sworn I saw a scan of it on /a/ or something.

19. Angelus

Angelus Senior Member

I'd be very interested in looking into this if your avatar didn't give me nightmares.

On that note, I can give Prison School and Monster Musume +1 recommendation for Ecchi manga.

20. Dendro Batidae

Goddamn, bunch of pussies.

Better now?