Manga recommendation thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Dendro Batidae, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Dendro Batidae

Dendro Batidae Quite the Cynic

We have a thread for underrated anime, I thought we might have one for more obscure manga or just good manga in general.

I'll start with a favorite of mine that really doesn't get the love I think it derserves.

MOTHERFUCKING RIKI-OH!

[​IMG]

Most people only know about the cheesy live action movie called The Story of Ricky that became famous on youtube for it's batshit insane gory fights.

But I gotta say, the manga is more grounded on... I'M JUST KIDDING! THE MANGA IS EVEN MORE OVER THE TOP AND BATSHIT CRAZY!!!

[​IMG]

It's a 80s battle manga filled with gore. Set in a dystopian future where global warming destroyed the world, japan is going through a severe economy depression, which increased crime rates. The country now is pretty much run by crime lords and corrupt politicians.

Seriously, this shit is freaking crazy! At one point Riki-Oh is forced to fights two lions bare handed! And fuck animal rights, he punches right through these motherfuckers.

[​IMG]

This shit is filled with testosterone, you'll grow a beard by reading it!

The style reminds of Fist of the North Star, but the story is more condensed in a urban setting. It's filled with depressing dystopian future antics like crime, corruption, rape, torture, murder. It also have it's magic kung-fu, but unlike Fist of the North Star where Kenshiro use pressure points, Riki-Oh just punches trough people.

[​IMG]

The story is pretty straight foward but get slightly crazier as you go, untill the end where things reach acid trip levels of insanity.

I'll post more recomendations latter.

2. Domi

Domi Senior Member

You want something crazy, right? Alright, let me tell you about my favorite manga of all times:

[​IMG]

Neuro Nogami Majin Tantei.

So, this is about an extremely intelligent demon who has ate every single enigma from the Demon world, so he got bored and decided to come to the Human world because here people releases better enigma of higher quality. He's always hungry and thinks that in the human world, there's an ultimate enigma that will satisfy him forever. Looks like a normal man, but his real face is the same with some sort of giant bird head, and because he always dominates the situation, he acts like the smugest bastard, but knows when to save his face when needed. You could say he is a sadistic that knows where to hit to hurt others. Although his personality is "bad", he acts like the good guy because that's what helps him.

[​IMG]

In order to eat enigmas, Neuro must find a crimen and discover who's the criminal. For this, he has 777 tools from the Demon world with extraordinary and bizarre skills that will let him discover every single clue. Along with his intelligence, he'll discover the criminal in no time. When the criminal can't no longer prove he or she is innocent, they'll get to show their real twisted personalities, and as a metaphor, their bodies/heads will no longer be shown as human, but rather, as... something bizarre (this is just a psychological part, they don't change physically), for example, is the criminal is obsessed with fish, he'll turn into a fish himself in an interesting, yet amazing and hilarious mix. It may sound lame, but trust me, it really works.

Of course, he doesn't want people to bring attention to him, so he pretty much "forces" a student to open a detective agency, while he, as a "helper", solves everything.

The main point of this manga are not the cases (Neuro uses his tools, explains the crime and eats the enigma), but rather, the bizarre mood, its uniqueness, the amazing characters and all the shocking and hilarious scenes. The author is NOT afraid of going over the top if needed, Neuro loves to torture Yoko, the student, constantly, yet it's always really funny and a bit disturbing, there are some very strong scenes, some even sexual but for the sake of what makes this manga the craziness it is, not for arousal.

The art-style may look simple at first, but when the bizarre side is turned on, it gets "twisted" and becomes really interesting to look at.

[​IMG]

I'm not kidding about the sick scenes, but no gore is ever shown, it's very implied sometimes, sure, but I'd say it's more "psychological gore", and the author really knows how to play with this. Sometimes I wonder if Neuro is the actual mangaka.

But, at the end, the main theme is the human mind, with all the goods and mostly bad sides, yet it never becomes a depressed manga or something like Gantz. It also touches interesting topics with interesting points of views.

Also, DO NOT WATCH THE ANIME, it's the usual bad adaptation that should be avoided.

I just don't know what to add or what to change from this wall of text to make people go read it, but trust me, it's probably the craziest manga ever drawn and I could say so much about it all day... just read it please, don't you love hidden gems or unexpected good manga? Here it is.

Please Matsui, after Assassination Classroom make a sequel, PLEASE, I'd do anything for more Neuro.

3. cerebro podrido

cerebro podrido Senior Member

One I've been reading for a few years is Real, a sports manga about disabled people by the Slam Dunk guy.
    It's got a pretty cool story, the characters are good, the art is damn great, but it's in progress and the translations take forever to come out, reading it is suffering.
    It's mostly wheelchair basketball but there's some other cool stuff in between.
    I can't into recaps but I guarantee it's a really fucking good manga. Totally recommend.

[​IMG]

I've been meaning to read this for a long time but for some reason I never actually do it, I have to eventually.

4. Domi

Domi Senior Member

Just

DO IT

5. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

I actually haven't read this manga in quite a few years and I didn't catch the ending, but from what I remember Goodnight Punpun is pretty great. It's about this really fucked-up kid who imagines himself and those around him as cartoon characters because everyone in his life is a cruel, resentful bastard and he can't accept it.

The art is legitimately good, too:
    [​IMG]

I've also been reading Okusan lately, which I mentioned in the hentai thread but I also think fits here. It's not a hentai, but an ecchi-filled comedy about a cute ditzy housewife who frequently finds herself in awkward situations. I like the character design a lot.

(Warning: Slightly NSFW)
    [​IMG]

Oh, if we're talking about manga adaptation of anime, the FLCL manga is really, really good. It's very different from the show - the plot is much more straightforward, the characters are much meaner, and certain characters from the anime either don't appear at all or are promoted to major character - but I think it's almost as good. It's only two volumes and it's collected in a cheap tankobon, so I think it's worth a look. The tankobon also contains some great additional artwork:
    [​IMG]

6. Dendro Batidae

Looks interesting. Gonna check it out latter.

I wasn't able to read past the first few chapters of Punpun. That shit hits too close to home for me.

7. Kamille

Kamille Recruit

8. Voiced

Voiced Senior Member

Shokugeki no Soma, since it is so much farther than the anime. If you don't know what it is, it's a shonen cooking manga about attending the top cooking school in the world and becoming one of the cooking elite by graduating, and it seems to have drawn inspiration from Yakitate!! Japan.

Also the artist used to make hentai, so you can really see the....influences. :^)

Shokugeki no Soma 1 - Read Shokugeki no Soma Chapter 1 Online

[​IMG]

9. DigiGuineaPig

DigiGuineaPig Senior Member

Yes! This is one of my favs. Also Bastard is really good, too (which has already been mentioned).

Watamote is fun, I read it a lot. It's better than the anime.
    [​IMG]

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko is also fun, and cute.
    [​IMG]

Himouto Umaru-chan is better in manga form too. Also Tokyo Ghoul and Attack on Titan is better in manga form too. There's a lot I read. But for some reason those are the firsts popping into my head that haven't really been mentioned yet.

10. Dendro Batidae

Everyone keeps recommending that to me, but I just hate cooking in general. The thing still holds up if you don't care about food?

I liked the anime of Attack on Titan much better than the manga.

11. Voiced

Voiced Senior Member

The main focus is the food, so if you don't enjoy cooking it will detract from the experience a lot. There are some comedy and character development that happens too, but it's mostly all about the cooking.

12. DigiGuineaPig

DigiGuineaPig Senior Member

Honestly I think the anime's pacing is a lot better that the manga. But I think for me I read the manga first before I ever saw the anime. So it might be one of those situations for me.

13. crimsonstorm15

crimsonstorm15 Recruit

you guys like superheroes?

[​IMG]

Boku no Hero Academia (My Hero Academia) is one of the newer shonen manga that i've really enjoyed. the series focuses on Izuku Midoriya (nicknamed Deku) and his classmates in the world famous Yuei High School, where kids with superpowers--Quirks, as they're called in the manga--are trained to be the superheroes of the next generation. i recommend this series to anyone that likes superheroes, intense action and unique, creative character designs. it's 76 chapters along, and an anime adaptation was recently announced.

14. Voiced

Voiced Senior Member

The only superhero manga/anime I have heard so far was Tiger and Bunny, so I will check this out.

15. cerebro podrido

cerebro podrido Senior Member

I started reading it a few months ago, got like 20 chapters in and then got lazy, gotta get back into it

16. Dendro Batidae

Been reading it. At first I was lking how they deal with the whole "reverse X-Men" situation where the marginalized people are the ones withouth super-powers. But the story just won't go on, the villains are terribly undeveloped and I'm getting kinda sick of the higschool antics. I hope it gets better.

17. Lex

Lex Senior Member

Otoyomegatari is beautiful

[​IMG]

Even as someone who despises cooking, I find it a lot of fun.

Attack on Titan - particularly the early chapters - has a lot of problems with its art. When I started reading a few years back, I struggled to distinguish between Eren and Mikasa (which is a fuckton easier in the anime). The pacing problems don't get any better, but it's still serviceable.

Unless there were big changes when they adapted it (other than the black bars and shit), I can't imagine liking Tokyo Ghoul any better in its original format. Seemed like trash to me.

18. bigwilliestyles

bigwilliestyles Established Recruit

19. Meinos Kaen

Meinos Kaen Well-Known Member

Guys guys guys, it's okay...

They're both equally terrible.

20. Domi

Domi Senior Member

I don't know man... no offense, but at this point absolutely everyone knows One Piece. That's like recommending Mario games when someone wants to play a platform game.