Literature thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Ahriman Gonzo, Apr 2, 2016.

1. ryona

ryona Recruit

I finished 2001: A Space Odyssey (genre fiction, I know right?) and next I'm going to read The King in Yellow. I bought it around 6 months ago really cheap in a used book store.

2. Heavily Augmented

Heavily Augmented Senior Member

Trying to get back to reading books so I reread Fahrenheit 451 for a dystopian novel fix. Probably going to try out 1984 due to how acclaimed it is and never got the chance to read it. Also plan to try to get into Warhammer 40K with reading some of the Horus Heresy books.

3. Ahriman Gonzo

Ahriman Gonzo Senior Member

If you can find that Warhammer 40k thread, I've posted some recomends in there.

4. Lex

Lex Senior Member

I recently finished The Buried Giant. It was alright, but I don't think I'd recommend it.

5. Heavily Augmented

Yep, I still have that list of recommended books you posted a while ago (and thank you for them). Plan on reading the Ahriman Trilogy (cuz Chaos) and the Gotrek & Felix books due to the comedic undertones they have (and lord know I need to smile a little more in my life).

6. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

So over the weekend I read Terrible Old Games You've Probably Never Heard Of. I've been a big fan of the writer (Stuart Ashens, a.k.a ashens) for around 9 years and I've thoroughly enjoyed the video series this book was based off of. Unfortunately, I walked away quite disappointed!

The book was an overview of a bit more than a dozen mostly British (there was one MSX game, I believe) PC games for the Atari ST, ZX Spectrum, Amiga, and other popular computers of that time. Each game had 4-5 pages dedicated to it. There were also brief segments every so often when a guest writer would pop in to talk about the most disappointing game they ever bought, and one chunk near the end where the guy who made Plok gave a little insight into the industry at the time most of these games were developed.

TOGYPNHO was a neat video series. Every episode (only a few got produced, and it would often be a year or so between each release...) would focus on a horrible game that had been buried by time, and Ashen's wit would illustrate the game's flaws, educating while entertaining. I hate to use the word "comfy", but that's exactly what it was. Most of this wit is completely gone in the book... each review can basically be boiled down to "THE CONTROLS AND GRAPHICS AREN'T VERY GOOD". It doesn't feel like Ashens wrote it... it's far too formal, which maybe I should have expected for a book that was crowdfunded? Like, if you told me it was written by a writer for NicheGamer, for example, I wouldn't have doubted you.

There's also a stunning lack of content in the book, which was the greatest slap in the face to me. There are 264 pages in the book. 66 of those (exactly one quarter) are dedicated to listing the backers, promoting the site the book was crowdfunded on, indexes, a table of contents, and giving the writer an introduction (as well as plugging his Youtube channel). Many pages outside of that quarter simply show one screenshot of the game currently being reviewed. I expect Ashens knew there wasn't enough content, as the book also contains a simple choose-your-own-adventure game at the end for no reason. Nice!

I briefly considered backing the book when the crowdfunding campaign went up. If I had chosen the base level to buy the book and nothing else, it would have cost me around $60 in leafcash. I'll let that speak for itself.

If you're interested in reading the book, a kind anon on /vr/ uploaded the whole thing here.

7. Dendro Batidae

Dendro Batidae Quite the Cynic

Ghost writers, man. Most of these "youtubers books" aren't written by the youtubers thenselves.

8. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

I'm pretty sure Ashens wrote it, just that he didn't go all-out on it. He's written about these kinds of things before and he clearly has interest in the subject matter.

9. MonsterGirlFanBoy

MonsterGirlFanBoy Senior Member

If you guys want a good read, then I suggest you go read GenocideHeart's MGQ fanfic: Monster Girl Saga

Monster Girl Saga, Chapter 1

it's amazing! It's currently 13 chapters, but be warned: he takes forever to write new chapters!

10. Ahriman Gonzo

So nearly finished Mick Foley's 1st autobiography-and what a fun read it is. Some of the stories and injury descriptions are pretty gruesome but if you've the stomach for it, reading about the Japanese Barbed wire ropes, barbed wire boards C4 exploding ring deathmatch is amazing.

Not sure what's next-possibly a look at Samuel Pepys London or (if I can find it) a history of the Popes-because there early ones were into some right shit.

11. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

I FORGOT! The Terrible Old Games book has a direct reference to GamerGate! One of the guest writers says something like
    Right-o!

12. Ahriman Gonzo

Currently reading the Alastair Campbell Diaires-The Blair Years.
    If you don't know who he is, he was Tony Blair's top spin doctor and media manipulator for his entire premiership. He's essentially who Malcolm Tucker from The Thick of It is based on.
    He's an odious little prick, but I find the whole thing fascinating-like being in Hitler's bunker during the closing days of the war. Except we're starting at the beginning on the rise to power.

13. Heavily Augmented

So after a week of procrastination, I decided to finish reading 1984 and well.. is there really much to say about it at this point especially considering how it's themes are ingrained in our culture? Really enjoyed it overall but in comparison towards other dystopian classics, I still prefer Fahrenheit 451 (though considering how they focus on different topics, it's probably unfair to compare the two). Will get around reading it a second time later to find the intricate details and subtleties I might have missed the first time around (also part 3 on its own is worth reading).

Currently beginning to read Brave New World and the first Horus Heresy novel. Also plan on picking up Ellison's "Invisible Man" and Stephen King's "It" out of a recommendation by @GrossMcloss.

14. Angelus

Angelus Senior Member

For a minute I thought you meant the novel that 1933 Horror masterpiece is based on, but that's HG Wells.

15. Heavily Augmented

I won't lie, reading an HG Well classic sound a lot more fun at the moment so I'll pick that one up first. Thanks for telling me about about it (didn't even know the original black and white film was based off a novel).

16. Ahriman Gonzo

Mid way through 'End of the Party' by Andrew Rawnsley.
    Holy fuck we let crazy people run the UK.
    After that I'm torn between a book about the English Civil War, A book on piracy (of the yar har har variety) and a history of the American presidents.

17. wellow

wellow Recruit

I am reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey. It talks about psychiatry in the 60's.Amazing Book.