Literature thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Ahriman Gonzo, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Ahriman Gonzo

Ahriman Gonzo Senior Member

I know you lot aren't illiterate fucks, so let's see what you're reading, give suggestions/ reccomendations and generally discuss the written word.

Currently reading God's War by Christopher Tyreman. A history of the crusades, this goes deeply into the politics surrounding the great conflicts between Islam & Christianity in the Dark Ages and how the wars were fought (and more importantly why).
    Only just gotten to the end of the 1st Crusade and it's really gotten me. The politicking between various Lord's and vassals, the scheme's of both the Emperor of Constantinople & the Pope and even how the various conflicts helped shape warfare-it's bloody fascinating. Highly recomended.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  2. cerebro podrido

cerebro podrido Senior Member

I haven't read a book in a few years (comics and mango doesn't count), but I remember liking The Stranger

3. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

Reading through Eye of the Needle right now. It's good, but pretty disorienting if you're not up on your World War 2 knowledge.

4. Largo

Largo Senior Member

I recently finished reading The Braided Path trilogy by Chris Wooding

5. Lex

Lex Senior Member

I'm reading The Blinding Knife. Not really much for capital L literature myself.

6. GrossMcloss

GrossMcloss Senior Member

I'm starting to get back into reading, I had been spending too much time on video games and music so I stopped reading frequently about a year ago.
    Just finished reading 1984 (Really liked it, really essential becouse of all the terms it coined) and A Clockwork Orange (Also liked this one, it's different enough from the movie so it's still interesting to read, and the ending is much better)
    Now I'm reading The Republic and Ulysses.

7. peskeem

peskeem Member

Currently reading House of Leaves (I'm about half-way through. Overall it's enjoyable but some of the incredibly long lists of authors and film-makers felt incredibly pointless. Maybe it'll end up being relevant later but, so far, it's the few times I felt that I gained nothing reading those footnotes) and Emil Cioran's On The Heights of Despair (he has a generally enjoyable writing style though I have absolutely no idea what the 'SET YOURSELF ON FIRE' bit meant. Not as retarded as Camus though).

8. Dendro Batidae

Dendro Batidae Quite the Cynic

The premise is cool, but once I researched it a bit, it looked more and more like pretentious hipster garbage.

I tried to read the first book of The Wheel of Time, people recommended it to me saying it was like a Lord of the Rings, but holy shit... some parts are so forced and cringey that it feels like a shitty teenage book like Harry Potter.

9. peskeem

peskeem Member

It seems to have too much effort put into it to be pretentious crap. Generally everything is there for a reason, there's been a few clever parts in layout as well. The only bit, so far, that felt like it was bordering on pretentious was one of the lists; the reader has to use a mirror to read it. I would have been fine with that decision if the contents wasn't completely vacant. Thinking back on it there might have been a reason for the lists, for a style reason, but I think it could have been handled so much better.
    The story is better than I thought it would be.

Sounds like I made a good choice to never get into them. Last time I read a book at a recommendation was Stephen King's Dark Tower and that was awful.

10. Raziel Barkrai

Raziel Barkrai Senior Member

I'm reading "The Way to Will-Power" because I am an unmotivated sack of shit.

11. Largo

Largo Senior Member

I'm now reading Lost Girls by Alan Moore & Melinda Gebbie, a rather unique take on a few well known fictional female characters.

12. Dendro Batidae

Heard lots of positive stuff about the Dark Tower. Why you didn't liked it?

About the Wheel of Time, it is not a bad book by any means, but some things are so... forced. Like the main character's crush suddenly deciding to go with him on this dangerous journey, for no reason at all, even though everyone agrees she shouldn't be there. Then out of nowhere they suddenly discover she have the potential to become a mage, I fucking cringed at this part and haven't bothered to come back after that.

You know what I mean? You can feel the author is forcing the plot in certain directions in a way that just doesn't feel natural.

I mean, I could deal with this stuff if it was a shitty teenage book like Eragon, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, but this was not what I signed for.

The ammount of weird footnotes and weirdly written style. Maybe the book is good, I don't know, but when I heard about this stuff I just felt like it wasn't worth the trouble.

13. peskeem

peskeem Member

I've forgotten a lot of the details but I generally felt I didn't know what the point of the book was. The plot was set out well but it never really felt like I was given a reason to care about what was happening, and there wasn't any sort of mystery and tension about the stuff I didn't know. Plus the writing style wasn't as good as some of King's other books, imo.
    I think I know what you mean. Sounds like a severe lack of planning (or an inability to make it look as though it was planned).
    The majority of them are either fake citations or the story about the character who put the book (about the film about the house). Sections like this:
    [​IMG]
    don't happen all that much. Or it's got the format where the text simulates what's happening in the story, something stretches and the words themselves stretch out. It reminds me of some of the poetry we read at school. I suppose the biggest downside of writing like that is it'll overshadow whatever's being written. It's probably not worth reading if the style is something dislikeable, since it's pretty difficult to separate the two.

14. Dendro Batidae

I guess it was King's take on a differente genre.

That's a real problem when the franchise have FREAKING 14 BOOKS NOT RELEASED IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER. Not to mention the last one was written after the authors death. If the first book is having problems already, I think I'm done with this thing.

It just feels unecessary. I mean, just writte the goddamn book... But, well... that's just me.

On another note, I read the Song of Ice and Fire spin-offs. They have zero connection to the actual book series, but are some great novellas.

15. Lex

Lex Senior Member

I'm back to Discworld (Jingo) at the moment, but if grimdark fantasy is your thing you should really read Joe Abercrombie. Much better than the "half this book describes meals" of GRRM's current work.

16. Dendro Batidae

Any specific recomendation?

17. Lex

Lex Senior Member

Go for The Blade Itself, and onto the rest of the First Law trilogy if you like it. A lot of the recurring characters that appear elsewhere are introduced over the course of the First Law books.

18. peskeem

peskeem Member

Possibly but I think a fantasy story in his better style could easily work (it's what I was expecting). I haven't read enough King to know which is his usual style.
    Since it sounds like it didn't attempt to make a real mystery out of the 'forced' bits, I can only imagine any explanation several books in would have been unsatisfactory anyway.
    I think I remember hearing that the post-death book was the worst one. Might have been a different author though.
    It would probably just work as a short story then, quite like Lovecraft.

19. Ahriman Gonzo

Nearly finished my book on the Crusades (told you it was a tome). Can't recomend highly enough.
    I've institued a one for pleasure/one for learning reading system this year. Next will be a book for fun (probably Mick Foley's biography or one of the Robert Rankin books) but after that I'm interested in two topics:

1 The history of the Eastern states (Latvia, Livonia, the Balck sea states etc) during the Drak Ages
    2 Japanese history, particularly dealing with social/political side

Any suggestions for either?

20. Ahriman Gonzo

Started on Robert Rankin's 'The Antipop'-book1 of the 5 book Brentford Trilogy.
    It's as mad as abaloon and as British as crumpets.