Let's talk about movies.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Dendro Batidae, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Dendro Batidae

Dendro Batidae Quite the Cynic

So we discuss video games and anime a lot, but I was wondering if we could have a nice talk about movies too.

Have you guys seen anything interesting lately? Any recommendations? Want to comment or predict something about the next bomb coming soon?

2. Largo

Largo Senior Member

Last movie I saw was The Revenant, fairly good for a cowboys and indians movie. Tom Hardy was far better than De Caprio.

The next major bomb will be the Ghostbusters reboot, I don't think I need to say why.

3. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

So uh I really like Pixar movies but I thought Inside Out was just terrible. Talk about a complete cast of totally unlikeable characters, coupled with some of the most over-produced 3D animation I've seen in a movie. I mean, all the little thought guys have fuzz on their skin that sways and glows. I also thought the character design for the humans was terrible and the moral of the movie was completely hackneyed. To be honest, I think the studio has lost their touch!

4. Dendro Batidae

Hell yeah, he deserved an Oscar way more than Di Caprio. Don't get me wrong, I really like Leo, I believe he and Brad Pitt are two actors who managed to get beyond the role of "pretty boy", something the likes of Tom Cruise never managed to. I do think he's an oscar worthy actor but not for the Revenant, that wasn't his best work.

Untill now I was conviced the academy never gave him an oscar as an joke.

I'm with you there, it will be this year Fantastic 4.

On another note, it won't be a bomb but I predict Batman vs Superman will be a huge trainwreck.

5. Dendro Batidae

Pixar lost their touch since Brave. But I can't comment on Inside Out, haven't seen that one.

6. ZappaJawaka

ZappaJawaka Recruit

I'm watching Pumpkinhead on tv right now.
    I thought it was just gonna be a cheesy Friday the 13th knockoff, but it's actually pretty good!
    Pumpkinhead's costume is really well made too. He's like a 7-foot demonic Xenomorph.

7. Dendro Batidae

Gonna comment on one... today I saw The Witch.

Really nice movie. It's kinda of slow, so if you're not into the kind of atmosphere driven slow paced horror tale, it isn't for you, but for what it is I think they did a good job. It manages to be creepy and unsettling but without being experimental and pretentious like The Antichrist (god, I hate that movie...).

It's also a nice change from your typical copy pasted hollywood horror flick that relies solely on jumpscares. My only complain is that the movie should focus more on... you know... the witch! The one in the freaking title! I don't know what's the deal with this, I have the same critic for the Blair Witch.

But worst part was watching it in the theaters! I expected to be alone since it's a fairly unknown movie and not the kind of flick the general public is used to, but for some reason the place was full and no one seemed to care about the movie! They just kept talking to eachother loudly and browsing facebook on their phones through the whole thing. I had to tell people around me to shut up more than once.

It wasn't like a group of teenagers in the back row, it was everyone the session! And then the movie ended and they all complained that it sucked because they couldn't understand anything. What's wrong with people? Not even when watching transformers I felt so surrounded by plebs.

Anyway... good movie.

[​IMG]

8. Heavily Augmented

Heavily Augmented Senior Member

So this is a question more than anything, but has anyone seen an animated movie called Anomalisa? It was nominated for Best Animated Picture in the Oscars this year and now hearing that Charlie Kaufman (person who wrote Being John Malkovich) directed it, has piked my interest for it. Sadly it isn't playing in any near theaters and the blu-ray comes out at around July so I'm wondering if anyone can recommend it.

9. Mea_K

Mea_K Senior Member

I finally saw Star Wars VII a couple of weeks ago. Nothing could've prepared me for how overwhelmingly meh it was, but at least it's better than the prequels.

Fuck the ridiculously over-the-top Starkiller Base, fuck Rey somehow being able to do mind tricks when she didn't even believe in the Force the day before, fuck Luke's lightsaber giving people visions (the Force works through living things, not dead fucking matter), fuck Kylo Ren being a bumbling idiot with a goofy face, fuck the First Order having the least interesting military in the series (where have all the fucking walkers gone?), fuck the arbitary destruction of Coruscant that no one in the movie seems to give a fuck about, fuck the scene with the stupid CG tentacle monsters, fuck Finn somehow overcoming decades of indoctrination and training because some blood got on his helmet, fuck killing off Han Solo for nothing.

10. Dendro Batidae

I think people exagerate on the hate, but I didn't liked the movie that much either.

You really have a problem when the least interesting character from your movie happens to be the protagonist.

11. Raziel Barkrai

Raziel Barkrai Senior Member

Saw Deadpool over the weekend with some friends. I'm not a Deadpool fan or even a comic book reader, so my only frame of reference of him are depictions from MvC3 and a Wikipedia article. I think it serves as a good weekend night movie to watch with friends, but doesn't live up to they hype that people have been giving it. It also bothered me that there was an uncanny valley effect every time Deadpool was on screen.

12. Largo

Largo Senior Member

Yeah, I know De Caprio was waiting a while for that Oscar but Hardy deserved it far more.

13. GrossMcloss

GrossMcloss Senior Member

I agree that Pixar have lost what made them great, and they don't make good movies consistently anymore, but to me it was a great movie and I really liked the characters. I do agree some of the animation choices are odd, that fuzz on their skin is just weird, but other than that I really like how it looks.

I'm still mad that he didn't win, I'm glad Di Caprio won, but Hardy's acting was way better than the other nominees, and even better than Di Caprio.

14. Dendro Batidae

I find that since Brave the Pixar characters are getting uncanny.

[​IMG]

15. Largo

Largo Senior Member

Anyone seen Zootopia yet? It's getting great reviews.

16. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

I haven't, but I love the character designs! I love it when anthropomorphic animals are drawn well.

(NOT A FURRY)

17. Dendro Batidae

Yeah, right...

18. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

OK, OK, I have one fursuit. And I may have gone to Anthrocon a few times. It just... gets so hot in there. Who needs human breasts anyways?

19. Dendro Batidae

PFFFHAHAHAHA!!!

I can't believe this is real!

20. Heavily Augmented

Heavily Augmented Senior Member

So is the confrontation between these two going to function the same way Godzilla Final Wars whereas the Godzilla from the 1998 American version gets his ass kicked by the real Godzilla in around 30 seconds?