Let's talk about fightin' games!

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by BadMrFrostii, Oct 18, 2015.

1. BadMrFrostii

BadMrFrostii Recruit

Which ones are ya playin' now?
    Who're ya maining?
    What fightan games are you lookin' forward to?
    Wanna do some netplay for a game that's pretty dead online? Find someone here to play with!
    Will Ultimax 2.0 ever get a console release?

Also, if you wanna play older arcade games online, Fightcade is the way to go. Plenty of classics there, and the netplay isn't too bad for the most part.
    I usually hang out in the Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 room, it's usually pretty quiet there, so come play sometime!

Heaven or Hell?
    Duel 1!
    Let's rock!

2. Domi

Domi Senior Member

I started playing fighting games for the first time since a few weeks ago. Pretty much all main SF games, but I'm trying to really learn the basics in SF II. If anyone wanna play some SSFIIT in Fightcade... Warning: I may suck.

3. momo

momo Recruit

Powerstone is still really great, I just wish series was continued

4. Mr. Krory

Mr. Krory Recruit

I always really want to get into fighting games, so I buy one, then I start playing it, and then I realize why I should stay as far away from them as possible. Pretty sure the last one was Injustice while it was on sale on Steam. They all seem so cool and fun but I just suck too tremendously and never improve, lol.

5. Domi

Domi Senior Member

Fighting games are kinda hard to get into it. That's why you first get into Street Fighter II, learn the basics, and then you move on and try other games. There are some books for that, I'd recommend reading first this:

Learn How to Play Fighting Games with Our Free Beginner’s Guide eBook!

And

Playing to Win

Both books are free to read, so don't worry about it.

6. BadMrFrostii

BadMrFrostii Recruit

On top of what Domi has already mentioned, there's also others forums you can check out for individual games/characters to help build knowledge as well. They can have info on everything from standard combos, to character specific combos, to frame data to each attack, a growing fountain of information.
    My personal favorite way to learn was, and still is, to watch high level players using the character(s) that I'm interested in, and using what I learn from them, and apply it to my own style.
    There really isn't a right, or wrong way to learn. What's most important about the whole process is that you're havin' fun!
    Now, don't get me wrong, losing is usually never fun, but if you can walk away from a match knowing what you did wrong, and can fix it, that's what's important, and with netplay being available in most current games, it's never been easier to get matches in, and hone your skills up.

It's a hard road to really get great, and I'm still learning everyday, but as long as ya keep at it, you'll be gettin' better in no time!

7. Chaos

Chaos Senior Member

Currently playing: Mortal Kombat X
    Main: Sub-Zero, but practicing with Reptile and Kitana.

Not really the best at it, as I rely on jumping too much and need to break the habit of that. Also hate that one of Sub-Zero's combos you have to push two buttons at the same time. I usually get it to work, but sometimes it doesn't go off and he just thrusts his hands out like he wants to tickle them, but stops short.

Been leveling up all the factions as well. Almost done with Special Forces, and after that I just have Lin Kuei. I'll probably stick with them since that's the faction my little brother chose.

Looking Forward to: Street Fighter V

It's got Vega, Chun Li, and Cammy so yeah I'm happy.

8. BadMrFrostii

BadMrFrostii Recruit

I was pretty interested in trying MKX, last MK game I really played was UMK3, which I loved, and Ferra/Torr looked really interesting.

Also, Vega is looking super cool in SFV. I always liked him, but never played him, and I'm really excited to try him in SFV.

9. Chaos

Chaos Senior Member

MKX plays like Mortal Kombat 9, which is a bit more like Mortal Kombat II. UMK3 had more of the fast Street Fighter style combos, so MKX is a bit slower paced I want to say? It's still a lot of fun, and the variations system is cool though some characters like Reptile get screwed as all his variations are worthless. Ferra/Torr is great, and Ferra makes me laugh with all the silly shit she says.

I've tried to make Vega my main since SFII:Turbo. I've always had a thing for blood thirsty psychos and pretty boys, so he was best of both worlds.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  10. TiamatNM

TiamatNM Senior Member

I'm only playing Guilty Gear Xrd at the moment though I used to play other things. I play Bedman.

11. Kro

Kro The King of Lolis

I haven't touched any in a while. Still waiting for Rising Thunder to flesh out a bit. I guess I'm waiting for SFV but I don't think I'll get it day one. At least not until Dan is confirmed. Pls.

12. Nagato

Nagato Member

Rivals of Aether has been my jam these last couple of weeks, still surprised with how tightly it plays.

13. Mr. Krory

Mr. Krory Recruit

@Domi / BadMrFrostii - Thanks! Admittedly part of the issue is I'm not very quick/responsive and I know that's damn-necessary in fighters. I stay away from a lot of competitive shooters because of this as well. But I still have some stuff I can practice on, so I can take a look at these ebooks and see if I can't muster up some skill.

My interest was largely re-piqued by NicheGamer's coverage on Laura from the new Street Fighter (even if Ken's new design makes me gag and cringe).

14. bigwilliestyles

bigwilliestyles Established Recruit

SoulCalibur II on the GameCube is the best fighting game ever made.

15. BadMrFrostii

BadMrFrostii Recruit

Glad to hear you're still interested! And not a bad reason to be either, I think Laura looks absolutely amazing both gameplay wise, and her design.

16. Chaos

Chaos Senior Member

It's horrible right? His hair looks like bananas. Laura looks awesome though.

17. Demetirus

Demetirus Recruit

This will likely sound bizarre, but most of the time I just play through fighting games once or twice on characters that I like just to see their story. So as a result, it's rare I pick up any fighting game at all let alone for any extended period. That said, Skullgirls was a blast for me. The few times I did play online I mainly played as Squigly and/or Cerebella and did ok, but I was informed that it was because those two were cheap and/or op.

18. jakumkajun

jakumkajun Established Recruit

I fucking love fighting games but sadly by the time I got a PS2, my only friend who played them non-casually stopped and with my shitty internet, online sucks. I don't play as much as I used to but currently I sometimes go into training mode with Ramlethal in GGXrd, still not used to her new BnBs. Besides that trying out Arcana Heart 3 Love Max, design and gameplay wise, I like Weiß, Clarice, Akane and Saki. I kinda wish the game had smoother animation. Also, I don't like MAX mode/HD mode in KOF2002/XIII and would prefer it if the games didn't have them.

19. BadMrFrostii

BadMrFrostii Recruit

You and me both, man.
    As much as I love 2002, I wish it wasn't there as well.
    As for XIII, I just never really cared much for it personally. Not that it's bad, it's fantastic, just not for me.

20. Domi

Domi Senior Member

Talking about picking characters, whar are your favorites characters (as mains or just you like) and why?

The first time I played SSFIIT, I didn't know who to pick. Like, no one looked interesting. Everyone doing almost the same face, looking serious (and boring to me) until I got to...

[​IMG]

Dee Jay's portrait. Look at him. Look at his face. Look at his finger. He just want to have some fun and looks like a cool guy. And he is: he doesn't need a super traumatic past, or to become the strongest one or to be super evil. Nope. He is just a musician looking for a good rhythm. Shame his portraits in some other games make him look bad, and one of the worst characters in SFIV.

Sadly, he is not in SFIII, so I had to look for another character, this time...

[​IMG]

Makoto. I like characters that take seriously values such as discipline and looks professional but at the same time aggressive and brash, plus her looks and the way she plays really gives me that idea about her. She also doesn't need a super tragic past or achieve something crazy, she just wants to save the dojo of her father, which I find honourable. I love playing as her in SFIV.

I hope both characters appear in SFV someday.

Have you tried Fightcade? I don't have a good internet connection, but even with 200 or 300 lag, I can play perfectly... I would say even 400 with some luck. I play from time to time with an Australian friend and there's barely lag. We could play together if you want.