ITT we post unpopular opinions

Discussion in 'The Edge of Space' started by Lex, Jan 13, 2016.

1. vayanui8

vayanui8 Senior Member

Anyone who has actually watched the monogatari series knows why a dub could never work. The dialogue is completely driven by the Japanese language and the tone could never be properly adapted.

2. Raziel Barkrai

Raziel Barkrai Senior Member

I think that's a safe assumption. I'm not much of a purist, but the Monogatari series and Tatami Galaxy are some shows that I cannot imagine dubbed.

3. hina

hina Senior Member

This isn't an unpopular opinion, this is what many want to be an industry standard.

Funny enough it's only dubfags that don't want this because people can choose what language they prefer instead of being forced to listen to the subpar joke of american voice acting.

4. Lex

Lex Senior Member

Allus USA wanted to keep their games dub only to try raising the bar or to improve the US industry or some other such drivel. It's nice to know we could soon seen the back of that.

5. hina

hina Senior Member

The problem is the US industry has good voice actors but they don't or refuse to do some anime game from Japan which results in these games having subpar, untalented and objectively inferior voice actors who can't even pronounce the names properly, yet will be worshiped by dubfags for whatever petty reason.

6. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

I'd say the exact same thing for Jojo, but that got a dub, so whatever.

I don't want any anime dubbed. I don't want the mouthbreathers (Americans) liking my things. I DON'T WANT THEM CHANGING MY THINGS. My tastes generally line up 100% with your average Japanese otaku, so it's in my best interest that you FOREIGNERS just stick with your Hollywood and your MSNBC and your little weeknight Breaking Bad shows.

7. Battlechili

Battlechili Senior Member

I've heard from MANY people that watch things subbed/play their games in their original language every time that they don't want games getting dubs since that makes releases take longer to happen/makes the game's cost go up to support the development of a dub.
    Both sides do this a lot.

DUAL AUDIO OR BUST EVERY TIME
    (Triple audio if it can be managed. French dubs are nice)

8. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

GAY

Italian dubs are the best (better than English), even if the women do often have man-voices.

9. hina

hina Senior Member

I agree dual audio is best.

Both sides do this a lot but I don't see the subfags be as salty as the dubfags when they don't get their way, usually you see them begrudgingly buy the game anyway despite not getting what they want while dubfags will actively go out of their way to sabotage a game getting dual audio because <insert petty excuse here>.

I hate both but I can at least understand the reasoning behind subfags getting annoyed.

10. Heavily Augmented

Heavily Augmented Senior Member

-FPS games on consoles were a fucking mistake (minus the Timesplitters franchise, Perfect Dark, Doom 64 and Halo 1/2 but even then, emulating them or playing the PC versions of Halo 1/2 are much better experiences).
    -EYE Divine Cybermancy is a better Deus Ex RPG game than any of the other offical Deus Ex games after the first one.
    -Keijo is just okay.
    -The art style in Danganronpa has always looked awful and only finally is going to look acceptable in V3.
    -Loot shooters are all cancer and the one aspect that made Shadow Warrior 2 just be an okay game than my GOTY.
    -The old 1973 Westworld movie is superior to the new TV show (though the show is still pretty good).
    -I enjoyed the 2013 reboot of Tomb Raider more than any of the PS3 Uncharted games.

11. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

I like loot shooters. Maybe I'm just a monkey who likes being trapped in a skinner box, but there's something very pleasing about getting new stuff, especially when that new stuff is a new weapon or item.

That being said, FPSs with upgrade systems can suck my chooch.

12. Blank Slate

Blank Slate Senior Member

Probably not an unpopular opinion on here.

Loot shooters can be pretty fun co-op.

13. Hrist

Hrist Senior Member

I like games like 7 knights and Granblue Fantasy, which are mobile cash grabbing games with actually fun content to challenge and collecting characters. Might be just me liking the artstyle.

Some of the designs are pretty ridiculous, I give you that.

14. Heavily Augmented

It is, but I never found that as a good reason for one reason: What else can be fun with friends? Well... anything.

And if we were giving any particular example of the biggest ones in the genre, the Borderlands games always have the selling point of being highly recommended to play in co-op yet the game can't get basic features like getting separate loot so one person doesn't just grab everything at once and everyone else gets screwed. Then again, you could probably just throw that in the long list of incompetence from Gearbox.

15. Heavily Augmented

I actually don't really have any qualms with the character designs for the most part as absurd as they get (since these games are fairly absurd in concept so I'm willing to use suspension of disbelief for those). I think the main issue has always been how low quality everything looks in terms of the environment. Maybe this is because it's stretched out on a 1080p monitor and may look better on the Vita versions but even then, there's that lack of detail that's missing from it most of all. Another thing would be how static everything looks which I know sounds like a dumb thing to say since they are just drawn models and not animated, but something about the V3 trailers look so much better in comparison. Also this is going back to what I just said, but while the character designs are fine IMO, there's something about how the faces drawn in the first game that still bothers me.

16. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

The DanganRonpa games were originally for PSP, remember. They didn't have a ton to work with, and if you're playing on PC you're playing a port of a port.

That being said, V3 looks great and I can't wait to play it. NIS doesn't own the licence anymore, right?

17. Heavily Augmented

Well considering that they PS4 editions of Dangan 1/2 that's coming out soon are being published by them, I have a bad feeling the answer is yes. But on the bright side, if the PC versions are anything to go by, NISA probably aren't going to be credited for those versions (therefore, your money will only go to Chunsoft and Abstraction Games who've been making these ports).

18. TheManWithPants

TheManWithPants Senior Member

This is actually one of the few things the Sonic series has done right when it went 3D. Most of the main Sonic games come with Dual Audio in some way (though games like Heroes and Shadow only have proper Dual Audio on PS2, while some games have audio tracks locked to your console's language settings like Sonic 06). Recently, starting with Generations and Lost World, it seems the main games now have 6 audio tracks: Japanese, English, Spanish, French, German, and Italian. Hilariously enough, though, from what I've seen, most fans in those European territories still prefer to use the English or Japanese audio tracks over their own native language ones because apparently those dubs are shit. I heard the Spanish dub is pretty decent, though.

19. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

If a game has dual audio, I want it to have the proper subs, too. None of this "using the dub script" bullshit, translate what I'm listening to properly or I'm not going to want to listen to it in Japanese.

20. Blank Slate

Blank Slate Senior Member

Of course, but co-operation is clearly the focus of the genre and as a result it falls short in singleplayer.

I'd say that sharing loot is a vital part of the co-op play, however Gearbox didn't implement any mechanisms to encourage it.