Inaugural Niche Gamer Community GOTY Awards

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Brandon, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Brandon

Brandon Big Papa Overlord Staff Member

Hey guys -- we launched our very first community-voted GOTY awards for this year.

Find it here on the main site.

I tried to include only games we reviewed, and obviously only the biggest and/or highest rated games.

Thoughts?? Who'd you vote for??

2. Battlechili

Battlechili Senior Member

I didn't vote because the only game out of the list that I've played is Nier Automata and I didn't care for it.
    I was really disappointed with Automata and lost interest in it during route B. The game seems like such a downgrade from OG Nier. It doesn't have any real clear goal given to the player, instead having you just move from place to place with stuff just happening around you, and ending A came abruptly without any sense that you were actually at the end of the game. With the original Nier when you got Ending A, you knew you were right at the end before getting it. The final boss felt final, even if there was more to the story afterwards.
    It doesn't help that Route B makes you play the WHOLE game over again rather than just part of it like the original Nier did.

Everything else new I played this year was basically:
    • Ever Oasis
    • Blue Reflection
    • Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
    • .hack//GU Last Recode
    On another note, voting seems to be down anyways. :/

3. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

I voted Sonic Mania, even though I think I may have - *gulp* - preferred Forces? I'll get my coat.

You know, for what is apparently the best year in video games in the history of time, I didn't really give much of a shit about anything that came out this year that wasn't developed by Sonic Team! I though 2016 was way better.

Alas, I enjoyed:
    • Puyo Puyo Tetris
    • Sonic Mania
    • Sonic Forces
    • Life is Strange: Before the Storm (Episode 1 - haven't played the others yet)
    • SHE SAVE
    • The demo of Birthdays: The Beginning
    • Brave Dungeon
    and did not enjoy:
    • Snake Pass
    • Layton's Mystery Journey
    • Kirby's Blowout Blast
    and would have played if I had the console they were on:
    • Cuphead
    • Golf Story
    • Mario Odyssey
    Best game was Sonic Forces. Worst game was Layton's Mystery Journey. And that's all I played!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017