Hitman publisher Square Enix cancels all preorders, announces the game will be split into episodes

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Mechenyi, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Mechenyi

Mechenyi Member

Article from pcgamesn
    Archive

Gematsu Article
    I've seen a few people say they'll just wait for the disc version, but them doing this would turn me off from buying it. If I was going to in the first place.

2. Heavily Augmented

Heavily Augmented Senior Member

I already thought the original idea of treating the new Hitman as an "Early Access" game that would get it's content overtime was a bad idea, but this is just even worse to me. I can imagine the reason Square might be trying this was because Life is Strange did it too and sold well, but that's practically indie. This almost seems like the type of move that a dying franchise would do, but as much as I can shit talk Absolution, I thought it sold well.

3. Dendro Batidae

Dendro Batidae Quite the Cynic

They are completely different games, it doesn't even make sense. They aren't selling episodes, they are selling missions.

Wait a second, so instead of selling the entire game for 60$, they are selling a intro + first mission for 15$ and then each mission is 10$? How many missions it even have?

4. Heavily Augmented

Well technically speaking, not only consider that the devs refer to the game now being "a truly episodic experience" but I imagine each location being sold will have some connecting plot and they may as well be episodes at that point.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  5. Dendro Batidae

Why these new devs don't get the point of Hitman games? Hitman barely have any plot, the story is pretty much just background noise.

I thought they were going back to the roots with this new game.

6. DDD-kun

DDD-kun Senior Member

New nickle and dime strategy. Not impressed. Also not buying, that that went without saying. The real question is: How is FFXV's budget looking?

7. Heavily Augmented

While I agree that the Hitman games never were about the plot, when I say that each episode will probably be connected in some way, I mean that each plot point in the game gives an excuse for 47 to go to some other place and assassinate someone else similar to the older ones. I doubt after how embarrassing the plot and writing of Absolution was, IO will try to make the story on the forefront again.

8. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

Here's the thing: an episodic distribution model only works for very, very specific kinds of games. The reason it's used so for adventure games is because those are easily adaptable to a serialized model, like catching an episode of a TV show every week. I've never played a Hitman game, but I really don't want to see this become a trend. Can you imagine if, like, they made an episodic platformer? Or an episode FPS?

9. Dendro Batidae

Or a episodic Final Fantasy? No, wait...

10. Dendro Batidae

Isn't that what I meant? With they selling each mission separatedly and calling it "episodes"?

11. Heavily Augmented

My bad then. I thought you were referring to the story itself than how the story will present itself due to each mission being separate and "episodic". You're on point though with the comparison.

12. dsar9012

dsar9012 Senior Member

Man, I liked the last Hitman game a decent amount, but now I will be skipping this game completely unless I see it for $10 used a couple of years later in the bargain bin. Square Enix really knows how to kill interest in a game by making it episodic, they did the same for FF7: remake.
    It's weird how many TV shows are now being released at once so people can binge watch on Netflix, and games, which were once whole are being released episodically. I can say I am not interested in episodic content at all now. i even wait for anime series to finish before watching it.

13. Lex

Lex Senior Member

The majority of the current Hitman staff are the Kane and Lynch vets that gave us Absolution, as I understand it. Not got a lot of faith they could pull this off. Seems like a decision made by some twat above them.

14. Dendro Batidae

Well, it's not like you are paying for each separate episode in a tv show, like it happens with video games.

15. Dendro Batidae

What gave me faith is that they said it was trying to go back to its roots, instead of being an Absolution 2. But now I couldn't care less about this game.

16. Lex

Lex Senior Member

That kinda thing would be easier to believe if it was more than just lip service most of the time, I feel. How often do Capcom bullshit about returning a thing to its roots? Or Square-Enix, for that matter?

17. Dendro Batidae

You gonna have to help me out here.

I really don't remenber the last time Capcom or SE tried to appeal to old fans instead of spitting int their faces.

18. Retrohunter

Retrohunter Senior Member

I thought the original idea was releasing the full campaign and then releasing additional content updates monthly? (Kind of like what Splatoon does for lack of a better example).

Either way, this is probably going to backfire badly.

19. Lex

Lex Senior Member

I'm not saying they make games with the intent of appealing to old fans, just that they use it as fluff in their PR to ensure that older fans don't write off the "streamlined" dreck they're actually producing. They carefully danced around directly invoking the old games with RE6 (example), but you stick "return to roots" and Capcom in Google and you'll see they're leaning on it heavily for RE7.

20. Dendro Batidae

I see what you mean. But in Hitman's case they straight up said they were going back to it's roots, it was not subtle or implied. Those damn fuckers...

They are working on a RE7?