Having NG Articles in Gaming - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Feedback and Issues' started by Brandon, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Brandon

Brandon Big Papa Overlord Staff Member

Hi guys - I'm thinking of implementing a system to cross post our articles into the gaming subforum - I'm concerned this might clutter things up and discourage people from having just all-around discussions.

Thoughts? Is this even necessary? Would you prefer this to be in an entirely separate subforum?

2. cerebro podrido

cerebro podrido Senior Member

This seems like the obvious answer

3. Mea_K

Mea_K Senior Member

Would this also replace the Disqus comments on the articles with something like an embedded forum thread (if that is even possible)? It'd be convenient to have everything on the same account.

4. Brandon

Brandon Big Papa Overlord Staff Member

Ideally, I'd like to have them connected to each article (having some kind of link saying like 'Discuss This On the Forums!') .. and while I really love the idea of having it all connected by replacing disqus with this, I worry it'll stop a lot of people from commenting.

Oh you :p I think you're right, though

5. cerebro podrido

cerebro podrido Senior Member

I think it would be better to leave disqus as it is but also add a link to the forums at the end of each article, can't force people to join the forums if they don't want to but they also want to comment

6. Angelus

Angelus Senior Member

As a tinfoil-hatter with auto-deleting cookies, I'd very much like to use the same account site wide. Embedded forum posts as the comments for new articles would be pretty swell imo, as long as old DISQUS comments do not get deleted. Anon comments on articles would be pretty cool too.

Don't worry too much about losing comments for a period, go ahead and experiment. It might confuse some at first, but we'll still be here.

7. DigiGuineaPig

DigiGuineaPig Senior Member

I just figured out how to post on the articles using DISQUS . At lot of the times when I'm on the site I have to proxy out of my work's firewall to get here. So it messes with DISQUS. BUT, the actual DISQUS site is unblocked so I can just comment there. But I'd rather have in depth discussion on the forums rather than comment sections of articles!

8. Geb

Geb SeƱor Member

I think it'd be cool to discuss NG news articles here, but they ought to be relegated to their own subforum, yeah.

And I'd prefer a forum format for discussion better than Reddit-style comment strings like what Disqus does. Not saying you ought to remove that if people prefer Disqus, though.

9. Voiced

Voiced Senior Member

Keep Disqus.
    Relegate articles to it's own subforum.
    Add link to bottom of articles directing to forums.
    If possible, have the forum comments show up on the articles comments too, and maybe criss-cross with disqus?

10. Puntosmx

Puntosmx Recruit

+1

I think a whole subforum for articles and their discussion would be awesome.
    It shouldn't replace Disqus, since some people would prefer not to register at the forums.
    A link to the relevant forum thread would be useful too.

Now, for a radical idea..... Would there be a way to view the latest 3 forum posts in the relevant thread right below the webpage article?
    It would be even more awesomest if there was a reply box in that section, and being able to engage the discussion from the article.
    Yes, I'm crazy, but that option would be rad, and a nice way to entice people into registering on the forum ^_^