Getting fightsticks to work on PC

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by 3rdStrike_Ebi, Oct 22, 2015.

1. 3rdStrike_Ebi

3rdStrike_Ebi Senior Member

I was wondering if I could ask for some assistance here, because all the research I've done on this hasn't produced any results.

The image below is the exact same fightstick I own. It's a Venom PS3/4 fightstick. I want to ask you guys how I can get this to work on my laptop for the fighting games on Steam. But before that, I need to outline what I'm not going to do in order to make it work.

[​IMG]

I will not use Motioninjoy. I've tried using it before, never got anything out of it, and I swapped to the SCP Driver package. It works flawlessly for me when I use my PS3 controllers. Perhaps the PS4 version will work here? I dunno.

On a sidenote, do drivers for fightsticks even exist? I was told this stick should work as soon as I plug it into my PC when I switch it to PS4 mode, but I've had no luck with that.

2. DigiGuineaPig

DigiGuineaPig Senior Member

I was under the assumption that it should be plug and play through the USB. What version of Windows do you have?

3. 3rdStrike_Ebi

I have Windows 10. Wish I remembered to add that in my original post.

4. DigiGuineaPig

I tried looking up stuff but I didn't have any luck. I'm sorry! I thought it was plug and play. I'm actually wanting to build my own stick soon. I play a lot of fighting games.

5. 3rdStrike_Ebi

No worries, at least I know it's not just me having trouble finding what I'm looking for. Perhaps there's not enough of a demand for fightstick drivers? Massive shame if that's the case, because I don't wanna have to spend another $200 on a stick for my computer. :(

6. Some furf

Some furf Established Recruit

I bought that exact stick recently. I plugged it in and it just worked.

No 3rd party drivers, no messing around, just pure plug and play through Windows 7 auto detect.

The one and only oddity I've noticed is that games seem to prefer having the stick set to analogue input instead of D-pad.

7. AstralFireIII

AstralFireIII Established Recruit

For those reading who are looking for a new fightstick that just works, I can recommend the Qanba Q4RAF. It works with both PS3 and Xbox 360 (don't know about PS4 and One; I doubt it) as well as PC without any tinkering required. It's a nice stick, too; I'd perhaps prefer a non-square gate on the stick, but other than that it's really good.

8. DigiGuineaPig

I really need a stick, I had the expensive Hori one long ago when I got SF4 a few years ago. I think it was either stolen or lost during a move. I just haven't had one since. But I really want to get back into fighting games hardcore like I used to be. I've been wanting to play Xrd because I just absolutely loved Guilty Gear, and always have.

9. Heavens_Feel

Heavens_Feel Recruit

I've been using the wii tatsunoko vs capcom stick. I had a friend mod it with an arcade-quality Sanwa stick and buttons. There's a mayflash wii to classic controller via usb adapter that I got for $8 which I use to connect the stick to my PC. The adapter also works on ps3, so I'm able to use the stick on three different systems.

[​IMG]

10. DigiGuineaPig

I love the mayflash stuff. I've gotten multiple adapters! My PSX/PS2 to USB adapter has been with me for I don't know how many years!

11. 3rdStrike_Ebi

Well, there's one issue, then: I never had Windows 7 on my computer when I bought it. But then again, 10 shouldn't have an issue either...

I've always had mine set to Analogue regardless. Maybe I should give it another go, see if I did something wrong.

12. Squally

Squally Recruit

Did you ever manage to sort your issue with your Venom Arcade stick? I've got them same problem, wondering if you managed to fix it or not.

13. 3rdStrike_Ebi

Never did, unfortunately. I just gave up and got DS4Windows and use my PS4 controller whenever I can use it.

14. TheNecroswanson

TheNecroswanson Senior Member

When the games wont register my stick I use Xpadder. I have used it with a Hori SCV special edition stick and a shitty 30 dollar Qanba stick.
    It's not always ideal, but it serves fine enough in a pinch.
    The way it's supposed to go is the devs just drop an API into their game to make a wide range of controllers work. But considering there are new ones made every day, and for some reason they don't all use the same APIs, you can see where the problem comes in.

15. 3rdStrike_Ebi

16. TheNecroswanson

TheNecroswanson Senior Member

It's basically a package of drivers that are added to a games code so you can use the stick.
    Kind of like having a mouse with 20 butons. On older games some buttons may register, but others won't.

17. 3rdStrike_Ebi