Geek and Sundry scam Wayside and Kickstarter for $100,000

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Some furf, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Some furf

Some furf Established Recruit

The team at Wayside just posted a video admitting the complete failure of their Kickstarter campaign to make a live action Legend of Grimrock fan series.

It's a little disjointed, aimed at backers and reliant upon the viewer understanding the context already, so here's my best summary of the situation.
    • Wayside is a team of amateur filmmakers that made the Nuka Break series, notable for high quality costumes and props
    • They decided to branch into other things after three seasons and began planning a Legend of Grimrock series
    • To help make it happen, they partner up with Geek and Sundry, who acquired the Wayside studio and proposed going to Kickstarter
    • To meet the Kickstarter goal of $100,000, Geek and Sundry say they secured their own investors who provided around $60,000 to the campaign
    • Immediately upon completion of the campaign, those same investors apparently want their money back immediately, plus interest
    • Between the investor money that was never going to be theirs in the first place, the interest fees and the Kickstarter transaction charges, the project is left with practically nothing to actually make the series
    • Geek and Sundry subsequently fall silent on the Wayside team, giving them no money and no direction beyond the promise of being paid for the script they've already written once a new budget has been worked out
    • The Wayside team gives up and quits in frustration, Geek and Sundry retain possession of all of their assets.

2. Musou Tensei

Musou Tensei Senior Member

I kinda like it when regressives fuck over each other.

3. Lex

Lex Senior Member

There a story that goes with this?

4. Some furf

Some furf Established Recruit

Geek and Sundry was founded in part by Felicia Day and has Wil Wheaton as one of their most notable contributors, so you know you're in for something good.

(As an aside, there was an incident a while ago where Wheaton was frequently getting the rules wrong in the board games on his show and totally threw his producer under the bus, blaming him entirely for not teaching him properly how to play)

Wayside I'm not too familiar with to be honest, but if it's worth anything, they opened their Fallout series with the chubby beta male protagonist getting thrown to the dirt, only to be saved by the tough, strong female lead straight out of the Joss Whedon school of writing.

5. Mea_K

Mea_K Senior Member

Why Legend of Grimrock? I have both games and I never noticed anything particularly 'progressive' about them or their developer.

6. Lex

Lex Senior Member

The chance to shape the culture around the game, maybe? A blank canvas on which to paint a Feminist dungeon utopia?