Fears have been realized; Fire Emblem: Fates has been censored

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by 3rdStrike_Ebi, Jan 21, 2016.

Thoughts?

1. Once again, no surprise.

41 vote(s)
    78.8%
  2. FUCK!

25 vote(s)
    48.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 3rdStrike_Ebi

3rdStrike_Ebi Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  2. Mea_K

Mea_K Senior Member

FUCK! is the obvious answer.

At least one person is speaking sense in the comments on that site now. Everyone there was on board with censorship before they showed up.

3. 3rdStrike_Ebi

People who support censorship make me sick to my stomach.

4. Naoto

Naoto Member

After Fatal Frame, Bravely Second, and Xenoblade Chronicles: Meme Edition can't say I'm remotely surprised.

People are now going to pat themselves on the back for completely making up a controversy and getting the game "localized". Right up until Ninty removes any reference to her liking women then suddenly it'll become censorship.

Just have to sit back and watch while two groups of idiots fuck with a beloved series from my childhood. It'd be annoying, but its just so fucking stupid its kinda funny.

5. SevenforfiveSarge

SevenforfiveSarge Senior Member

Sadly I'm not surprised by this. I really wanted to get this game.

6. Lex

Lex Senior Member

It's probably as much laziness as it is "correcting problematic elements". Actually properly localizing the content would require Treehouse to convey nuance after first recognising and understanding it in the original text - definitely beyond them. Not enough doge.

Not surprised the gay conversion mischaracterisation continues, either. Too ripe an opportunity for SocJus.

7. Nagato

Nagato Member

Rated T for Treehouse

8. 3rdStrike_Ebi

Oh that is legitimately perfect. I'm gonna tweet that.

9. DDD-kun

DDD-kun Senior Member

Tell that to them.

No, not Nintendo of America. Tell it to Japan, directly.

10. DDD-kun

DDD-kun Senior Member

You have earned a medal this day.

11. hina

hina Senior Member

Well if you downgraded your 3DS from 10.3 to 9.2 then you can pick up that fan translation of IF, I'm not fully sure if it's complete or not but it's the next best thing.

12. Rie

Rie Senior Member

Okay so I don't know a huge amount about the character but I've heard of this scene before.

I can see why they might want to alter the 'drugging' part of this, well, if it is as bad as it sounds anyway. If they simply rewrote it to be less far-fetched sounding I'd have been somewhat cool with it.
    Cue post on unpopular opinions thread that I'm fine with censorship that's not overly extreme.

On the flipside, 'gay conversation', really? That's just a major part of the character and shouldn't be altered. That will pretty much change everything about the character, and that's not on. No reason to change it, as tons of people probably wouldn't even bat an eye at that. Not on board with that one at all. Boo etc. etc.

13. 3rdStrike_Ebi

Won't it work on PC with an emulator?

14. 3rdStrike_Ebi

15. 3rdStrike_Ebi

If I can speak Japanese, I would.

16. hina

hina Senior Member

It should but I really don't know if there is a working 3DS emulator and if there is I'm not sure if fan translated games works or not since there is occasional issues on the 3DS.

Personally I already downgraded and have been playing some of the uncensored hacks and it's great.

17. Naoto

Naoto Member

According to kia the same segment is censored in the fan translation.

18. hina

hina Senior Member

Really?

That's strange since it's the Japanese version.

19. Naoto

Naoto Member

Evidently pro censorship people in the group doing the translating. Sjws gonna sjw.

20. DDD-kun

DDD-kun Senior Member