Does Steam need quality control?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Battlechili, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Battlechili

Battlechili Senior Member

Almost every day I see complaints about Steam's seeming lack of quality control, showing off some awful piece of shovelware as evidence for supporting such an endeavor.

Every time its brought up I say I'm of the feeling that I don't want Valve to decide for me what games I like, that people don't have to buy crap games and that Steam's combination of filters and how people generally find out about quality titles means that it doesn't harm one's ability to find games to play. As an example, most of the games that I get on Steam I find out about through news sites and word of mouth, so when something that interest me is announced I just go to the Steam page and add the game to my wishlist to remember for later.

But some people keep saying that its clogging up the store, making it harder to find games via Steam's new releases, front page, and general Steam store. That eventually many lesser known gems that might be put on Steam may go unnoticed by even news sites and people who look out for such stuff should Steam be covered in a huge number of trash games. Do that many people use the front page of Steam as an indicator of what games to buy? Is the shovelware being added to Steam a problem that Valve should do something about? And if it is, how would Valve go about solving it without removing games that people might otherwise want to buy? A lot of people cite Greenlight as a mistake, having gotten a lot of bad games added to Steam. But just as well, Greenlight is responsible for many successful titles being added.

Is there some way Valve could properly have quality control without preventing more niche titles that people may enjoy from being added? I'm worried that people pushing for quality control could result in Steam turning into another GOG.

2. 3rdStrike_Ebi

3rdStrike_Ebi Senior Member

It depends on how strictly they want to define what constitutes as "shovelware", or generally bad, trashy games that borrow assets from things like Unity. When I hear complaints about lack of quality control, I can imagine in my head what they're talking about - think anything similar to Digital Homicide, and you can see where they're coming from - but the problem is the subjectivity as to what "trash" is when examples aren't as obvious, and that's not even going down specific ways of addressing it.

If Valve are able to provide crystal clear guidelines as to what should be done to guarantee quality control (particularly addressing what developers should first do before they submit their game, for example), then sure, I'll support the policies if they're good. For now, though, considering the climate in the video gaming community and industry, I don't believe we're ready for quality control yet. We should wait until after agenda-pushing ideologues fuck off and try to ruin something else instead, so that they can fail at that, too.

3. TheNecroswanson

TheNecroswanson Senior Member

NO.
    Free market is free. Freedom is messy. One of the benefits of Valve's complete lack of quality control, is that the market and curation are the dominions of the consumer.
    All corporate curation does is create situations like the BS Facebook and Twitter been done doin'.

4. Mel

Mel Recruit

Yes. I play Dota 2 and I see a lot of dummy accounts just in that game.