concepts and lore

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Ice Apollo, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Ice Apollo

Ice Apollo Anime is HARAM

post ideas for games/comics/series

2. Ice Apollo

I like hearing ideas regardless of how fleshed out they are so post away

3. Musou Tensei

Musou Tensei Senior Member

Well I do have pretty much an entire script for a 5 chapter long game and several ideas for further chapters, it's all in my head though.

4. TheNecroswanson

TheNecroswanson Senior Member

You know what we need? Someone to remake Clive Barker's games.
    They have a fuck load of really awesome concepts, but absolutely zero of them are fleshed out!
    I have had ideas for Jericho since day fucking 1!
    -Like, why is it not multiplayer? The dynamics of the individual skills could have had so much more done with them.
    -Exploring the time periods would have been so much better as well! Like, why is it that all we get is wave after wave of enemies in a game about exploring past figures?

Boom. Necro saving the industry single handedly.

5. Ice Apollo

set piece horror shooters are rare and should really be more explored

6. Ice Apollo

I have a first draft for for a battle shouen comic
    think the tournament arc of a stuff like yu yu,dbz or even naruto where the battle are fought by representatives of countries and and companies

7. Battlechili

Battlechili Senior Member

I want to make an Ico style 3D puzzle adventure game where you play a young child cat who wandered into a closed off temple that people in the general area were forbidden from entering. This character wanders there simply out of a childish curiosity with the mischief that children have in breaking the rules. However, once entered, the child loses consciousness and falls asleep for several years, before waking up to a now destroyed world. This world ending was the result of your character, the cat's, actions, and everything surrounding the temple is in ruins, as if a large explosion had occurred. However, none of this will be explained to the player, instead it'll just show the cat walking in, falling asleep, and then waking up to a destroyed world.

It is there that the game begins. Once awake, you're able to explore and try to find out what happened. Most of the game will be exploring a large ruined city surrounding the temple. Occasionally, you might run into a creature or another person alive, and when they see you, they'll scream and try to run. If you chase after them wondering what's going on, they'll disappear once you get to close to them. You later learn that you are cursed and anyone you get close to vanishes forever. This aspect of the game is to help push and emphasize a feeling of loneliness and isolation in the player, making them feel more vulnerable and as if there's little hope in the world.
    Alongside this, there are strange shadow beasts that seem to be slow but very good at traveling around, being able to traverse anything as long as it doesn't require flight. They will chase after you, thus forcing you to continue to move and progress in the game. There will be minimalistic combat, where you can hit them with a stick or push things to be in their way, but they are invincible and can't be killed. These shadow beasts are sent by an angel who came down from the heavens with the intended goal of killing you.

The game has a final boss where the gameplay suddenly turns into a Kingdom Hearts-style boss battle, only as hard as the superbosses in those games. (I want it to have a Drakengard-esque genre shift for the final boss, basically) The boss is the angel who's looking to punish you for having caused the end of the world. You are to decide whether you let him kill you, or whether you fight him. There are three different endings depending upon whether you agree to die, you get killed in battle, or you win the fight.

I want the main character to be a small cat because I think its easier to care about what happens to something that looks cute and something young. It makes it easier to be sad when something bad happens, and is essentially an easy way to get players to care about the main character. In addition, the angel will be human-like so as to help emphasize it as a higher being than yourself. I want the player to think that maybe the angel is right that they deserve death due to both their higher position, the vulnerable feelings gotten from the isolation, and due to the fact that you did indeed cause the end of the world. I want players to ask themselves whether or not this character should be seen as a guilty criminal despite having had no intention of causing the end of the world or knowing that such would occur. I think it creates an interesting moral dilemma and makes the game more interesting on the whole. I want players to be forced to explore themes of what it means to be "innocent", basically.

The game would be minimalistic in its guidance, cutscenes, and storytelling because I want the game to show, not tell, and I think text on the screen and/or being pulled out of the game would distract from the immersive lonely feelings I want the game to convey. I want the player to simply explore without the game giving you any direction on where to go or how to do it, instead just simply using the level design of the environment to help direct the player in the right direction (but whilst avoiding making a game that's too linear. I want the city to be rather open)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  8. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

Seeing this thread makes me realize that I absolutely have an idea for a story, and one that's been cooking in my mind since I was about eleven years old. This is probably going to be my most embarrassing post on the forum, but I guess it's about time I actually let this series expand beyond my cranium: For nearly a decade, I've been imagining a video game franchise that takes cues from Dragon Ball (the original series, not Z), Sonic, Mario, Mega Man, Ancient Greek / Roman culture - basically anything I've been interested in over my late childhood, teenage years and early adult life has impacted this story in some way.

Here's the basic premise: There's a hidden continent somewhere in the ocean that is isolated from the rest of the modern world. It's made up of several countries, and is governed by a council of seven goddesses, each holding jurisdiction over part of the landmass and the humans who live on it. HOWEVER (there's always a however), the continent is also home to a country that houses creatures called "Demons" - essentially monsters of every shape and size that have been removed from human contact for ages, developing their own culture and customs. The series begins with the King of the Demons kidnapping the goddess of one of the human-populated countries, and from there branches out into the prolonged interactions between various humans (one in particular), demons, divine beings, and the other creatures that are inexplicably drawn to the continent. AND TRUST ME FOLKS, THERE ARE A LOT OF THEM

Now, let me tell you that this all would be (with some exceptions) VERY cartoony, comedic, and stylish. Demons are basically the enemies in a Mario game - cute, silly, short-tempered, etc, and humans wouldn't look out of place in a 60s/70s-era anime series. Goddesses would look slightly more realistic and attractive, but still nothing like your standard fantasy imagery.

The franchise centres around a line of platforming games that has loads of spinoff series (think very much in the style of Mega Man or Sonic). The primary hero of the story is Types Newsly, a pure-hearted ten-year-old boy who is enlisted by the kidnapped goddess to put a stop to the Demons' nefarious plans and rescue her - most of the following games in the main series follow this template. Along the way, Types will fight against the savage Demon Generals - powerful and unique beings that serve as bosses, eventually coming face to face with the King of Demons and foiling his plans for continental domination time and time again.

I've planned the story of the series out through entire franchises and sub-franchises of specific, individual games (for example, there are currently 5 RPGs, 4 of which are exclusive to handheld consoles), as well as selected music to serve as character and level themes. Here's a quick list of what I'm pretty sure is every entry, organized by series - if you ask me a question about any of these specifically, I shouldn't have trouble answering:

Types Newsly (1 - 5, and a remake of 1 specific to handhelds) - The main series of 2D platformers. Types and the King of Demons, Lord Terios Ganzo, butt heads as the fate of the benevolent goddesses, the last of the divine handmaidens, and Beauty Continent's freedom is at stake.

Types Newsly RPG (1 - 5 , remakes of 1 and 2) - RPG series that uses the platforming games' setting and characters while fleshing out the world significantly. Types and his friends explore all reaches of Beauty Continent and beyond as they win tournaments, encounter artificial lifeforms, and learn the bizarre origins of the Demon race.

Bulby & Jester... (1 - 3) - Puzzle-solving, comedic adventure games, starring two of the series' side characters. Constantly-irritated robot Bulby and retired Demon General Jester solve mysteries around Beauty Continent's seedier areas for a quick buck. Though these games are largely self contained, they occasionally tie up a few loose ends from the above stories.

Kent and the... (1 - 2) - 2D platforming games that use a modified Types engine and star one of the main series' most prominent characters. Casanova-wannabe Kent DuMont looks for love and adventure in all the wrong places during scuffles with a particular person from his past.

Xerxes (1 - 2) - Darker spinoff series starring one of the villains from TNRPG2. Basically a faster-paced Zelda game without the puzzle-solving. Xerxes confronts his past and decides his future in pursuit of the woman he loves - but can he control the immense power held within him?

Mage's Journey - Create-your-own-avatar RPG. Magi are a mysterious organization of hooded figures that appear many times throughout the series, and act as a neutral third party between the various races of Beauty Continent. When a rival clan arises with the intent to dissolve the Magi and bring chaos to the continent, a new member (THAT'S YOU!!!!!!!) is tasked with stopping their plans.

Forgive me for the text dump - I have spent so much time thinking about these guys and their stories over what is nearly the majority of my life that it's unbelievable. I have characters down to their lineage, favourite foods, relationships, Demon types, K.C. values, fan communities... basically, you've been reading what my imagination has consisted of for the past 8 years. I HOPE YOU DIDN'T PLAN ON SPENDING THIS TIME PRODUCTIVELY

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  9. Battlechili

Battlechili Senior Member

2D or 3D Zelda? And is the villain a demon then?

In any case, its kinda neat just how many games and such you've thought about here. The way these side-games are this definitely especially feels like Mega Man. Only with a very different setting.

10. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

2D overhead, think Four Swords-style gameplay but with only one character. The villain is one of the Demon Generals from the first Types Newsly game.

One very, very important thing I forgot to mention in my first post - Xerxes is an artificial demon created by the main villain of TNRPG2, and as such is far more powerful than the usual protagonists of the series, hence the focus on combat over platforming.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017