Besides forcing progressiveness and gender wars in gaming, for the Devs out there

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Click Stick Chilly, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Click Stick Chilly

Click Stick Chilly XxShit-poster420xX

Will you stop riding the make a game accessible as possible by dumping it down dick?

(I seen this game go down so fast on twitch after release) Beta was hyped and all, game came out and not even Star Wars in the name could have kept it up there as top views games. Point is games are being toned down in the name of accessible for everyone. And in the end the Devs them self will feel it up the ass as gamers will avoid your game.

I believe Fallout 4 now that the hype has gone down you can start to see how horrible
    the story was toned down and how bad it actually is (Judging from social media currently)

[​IMG]

As for progressive push. I'll leave these here.
    One spends millions showing off in the name of progressive
    One does it subtle and doesn't make a big deal out of it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dendro Batidae

Dendro Batidae Quite the Cynic

It's the "We want the Call of Duty audience" all over again.

Same shit, different year.

3. Gorse

Gorse SHIT HOUND

QUESTION! Has appealing to a wider audience ever worked in gaming? I can't think of any examples, but it sure seems to happen a lot!

4. GrossMcloss

GrossMcloss Senior Member

I think making something accesible is stupid, it rarely gives better sales and instead you just piss off your fans. Note that I said "something" and not just video games, that's becouse "making sth accesible" is a terrible move in all arts.

Wow, I dind't know about that, CDPR are so based.

5. Dendro Batidae

Yeah, imagine any movie director saying "we want the transformers audience".

6. Heavily Augmented

Heavily Augmented Senior Member

Sadly, making a game accessible sells more copies, and only one thing matters for most companies. Money. This is from 2013, but a perfect example of a simplified game would be Bioshock Infinite, an FPS with a nice atmosphere and ok story bits, ruined by generic Halo esque shooting (regenerating shields, two weapon limit, etc.) and sold around 11 million copies by 2015. Meanwhile in 1998, System Shock 2 pushed for an innovational mixture of FPS and RPG elements that stands the test of time even today yet failed to meet sales expectations and was considered a failure by EA.

7. Domhnall

Domhnall Senior Member

However, Bioshock Infinite not only had a longer line of games to market from (the 2 Bioshock games before it, and remember that the Bioshock series has always billed itself as a spiritual successor to System Shock to rope in those fans), it also had the benefit of a much larger marketing budget and a much larger gaming market in general. Infinite would have sold a fair amount even without being casualized (although I will definitely concede that by making Infinite more like the Halo/CoD series, they probably picked up an extra boost in sales from that type of fanbase).

On the other hand we have Devil may Cry, which sparked so much furor from DMC fans that they ended up not only recreating DmC in a style more akin to the main games, but they also released a special edition of DMC4. The only reason to have done that would be if they didn't make as much money from the casualization as they had hoped.

Really, you can find examples for both. Sometimes casualization has created extra sales from new players, sometimes it fails to do so and pisses off fans to a degree that they leave the series. Shooters in general will probably tend to get extra sales from casualization, as long as "casualization" means "more like CoD."

8. Mea_K

Mea_K Senior Member

When your game cost $70 million to make and has a $50 million advertizing budget it's not a matter of wanting the Call of Duty audience anymore. You absolutely need the Call of Duty audience just to make a profit. This is the cancer that makes AAA games so bland and uninspired. Not playing it safe is a huge risk no publisher is willing to take when all that money is on the line and there are shareholders breathing down their neck.

The answer is cheaper games that focus on gameplay and move away from things like expensive celebrity voice actors and "cinematic" nonsense.

9. Click Stick Chilly

How much does it cost to run an ad during half time break at the super bowl?

10. Chaos

Chaos Senior Member

This year, the cost is right around $4.5 million for a 30-second spot, according to NBC, via The Wall Street Journal.

11. hina

hina Senior Member

The problem is now that these cheaper games (from Japan) are being forced to be censored to hell and back for people who will never buy them are happy.

12. Click Stick Chilly

>Lets pay our dev team a bit better for their extra over hours so the game doesn't miss the brutal deadline.
    "Nah fuck that, must run ad at Super Bowl"
    >Spent millions in ads to show how forced progressive your game is cause of shitty narrative thanks to activists sjw journos/bloggers making sure everyone walks in line
    >Please pledge money to our changing pledge deadline on this website so I can make a mediocre game or "lose" some money again
    >Mass censorship of gamers saying negative things on game forums or some cases on steam
    >No proper testing before games gets release. Game comes out,surprise game breaking bugs!
    >Leave game up for the mod community to make a better game of what you shit out on the market
    >Suddenly backstabbing pay 2 win business model
    >Walking simulations are now consider a game. Thanks hipster indie clique
    >Bring price of a game up so when there is a steam sales the discount doesn't bring the game on a very low price
    >Add digital currency to the game so no refund possible on steam

Game fails
    >Blame gamers

[​IMG]

Any wonder why gamers are fed up with the way things are going?

13. Maciej Miszczyk

Maciej Miszczyk Moderator Staff Member

I think dumbing down trend is finally slowing down with the return of medium-sized software houses and the advent of crowdfunding (which, for all its problems, did help to bring a few good games). AAA is still in love with graphics (but only their technological aspect) but the market is now more open to the non-AAA game.

14. Blank Slate

Blank Slate Senior Member

I'm worried about the System Shock remake and System Shock 3, I want to like them but they're inevitably going to be casualised trash.

15. Mea_K

Mea_K Senior Member

The next logical step is declaring skill-based games to be ableist because not everyone is able to learn those skills, getting triggered by the words "get good", and demanding games based on "emotional skill" (whatever that is).

Which already happened in progressive circles, last year!

16. Blank Slate

Blank Slate Senior Member

Source?

It's probably just a lazy way of pushing games as art; As story-oriented games have begun to grow in popularity, so has the decline of the gameplay, difficulty and "fun" factor. I'm not sure if this is correlation or causation, I assume the latter considering how easy it is to make games nowadays and how any pretentious and shallow drivel can be paraded around as "art" (Gone Home, Depression Quest, Cibele, etc...). The "games as art" crowd really don't understand what makes games fun.

Not to say that games can't be art, but if the entire selling point of your game is that the main character is a Pakistani homosexual genderqueer Muslim with a headmate who believes ey's a male Kangaskhan, it probably isn't art or worth playing.

Now that I think about it, my grievances above can apply to both the "games need to be accessible!" and the "games need to be progressive!" crowds.

17. Dendro Batidae

I don't know, man. I think part of it is pure greed.

Have you seen the Call of Duty numbers? It's insane. No wonder people wish their games sold like that.

18. Dendro Batidae

Remenber people pushing for an "skip gameplay" button? The whole "game companies are like entering your house and forcing you to play the game! I just want to enjoy the story".

If I remenber right, there was a Mario game where they put one of these.

19. hina

hina Senior Member

I know there was a push to skip gameplay but I didn't hear of it actually being put into practice because of how stupid it is, I mean what's the point of playing a game if you can skip the gameplay, even visual novels require more interaction than just watching the screen.

Was it Mario party?

20. Dendro Batidae

I think it was Super Mario Wii U.

"The game is the first on the Wii to feature "Super Guide", a new system devised by Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto. During singleplayer mode, if a player dies eight times in a row in any level, a green "!" Block appears, allowing a computer-controlled Luigi to show the player a safe path through the level. The player may interrupt the guide at anytime and take control. After Luigi completes it, the player has the option to try the level again, or skip it completely"

New Super Mario Bros. Wii - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia