Akiba's Beat has sign changed from "KKK Witches" to "ACQ Witches"

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Battlechili, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Battlechili

Battlechili Senior Member

Akiba's Beat localization changes

Akiba's Beat had a sign in it most likely referencing a Japanese company called "NKK Switches". The sign in question said "KKK Witches" on it. When this was noticed by a Tom from XSeed, he found it amusing and pointed it out to other members of XSeed, who were worried about it. They contacted the developer of the game to ask what the intended meaning behind the sign was, explaining the sign and its potential connotations in the West, and the developers just responded to that by sending them a build of the game with the sign changed. Tom felt bad about this, so he asked to have his name removed from the credits of the game, however company policy for XSeed is that if someone asks to have their name removed from the credits of a game, they aren't allowed to have their name in the credits of any game. Tom knew this and still asked for his name to be removed. According to XSeed's forums, Tom's main issue with it is that the change was made to the game not because it would give players a better understanding of what's in the game, but because it was something that could make people uncomfortable. He doesn't want games to be changed for that reason.

In response to this, Kotaku wrote a shoddy article about it which of course has sparked controversy in some of the usual circles of the internet, most notably, Neogaf.

Well, how do you guys feel about this?

2. Musou Tensei

Musou Tensei Senior Member

This is the last Xseed game I have pre-ordered, Xseed can't be fully trusted anymore, they have been invaded by SJWs who think their irrelevant feels should affect localizations.

3. Ice Apollo

Ice Apollo Anime is HARAM

its kinda bad but if the sign was not meant to be a reference to a hate group which is likely he case it makes sense to change the acronym slightly like e.g.
    dkk

4. The_Mad_Monarch

The_Mad_Monarch Recruit

In this instance I think Changing it was the right thing to do, but I think the guy who had his name removed from the credits was entirely correct when he said it was changed for the wrong reasons.

KKK has an unintended meaning when going from Japan to America, so keeping it as such completely changes the intent of the joke. However it was changed not because of that, but because some people were offended by it, which is entirely the wrong reason.

I'm still picking it up, as the end result still is the game as it probably should be, but this is a case I think we should let XSeed know about our thoughts, and keep an eye on what they do from here on out. Thankfully we have Censored Gaming, who seem to be pretty good about catching these things in a timely matter.

5. grgspunk

grgspunk Well-Known Member

Listen, dipshit. I know this has been ten days and all, but if you're complaining about something that's been censored but still intend to buy it knowing full well that it's been edited/censored anyways, then you have no right to fucking complain about anything.

The only message you're sending them by buying it is that you're okay with it. Anything you say that contradicts that won't matter for shit.

6. The_Mad_Monarch

The_Mad_Monarch Recruit

What I care about is the end Result, and the end result of this is what it should be.

In this case, the mentality I have an issue with, the offense felt by certain people on the project, didn't change that, so I'm getting the product I want out of this. I only take issue when their personal offense screws up the experience.

If it ever does happen, I'll most definitely avoid buying the game. I'd skipped out on titles before, probably will end up doing it again.

Oh, yeah, and I guess I should probably yell something back at you to send my point home, you.... dick butt?

7. grgspunk

grgspunk Well-Known Member

The end result is you bought it anyways. That is the only thing that matters to them.